AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Intervie...view-1686.html

Very interesting interview from Id Software supremo John Carmack about the future of gaming. Also makes clear how out of date the 360 and PS3 are.

If you are a gaming know-it-all you should read this.

BTW - here's the part for all you ADD types that can't read more than a page...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Intervie...ew-1686-3.html

Quote:
DC: If you could give Sony and Microsoft each a wish list of what you'd like to see in each of their respective next-gen platforms

JC: So one of the most important things I would say is a unified virtual 64-bit address space, across both the GPU and the CPU. Not a partition space, like the PS3. Also, a full 64-bit space with virtualization on the hardware units - that would be a large improvement. There aren't any twitchy graphics features that I really want; we want lots of bandwidth, and lots of cores. There's going to be a heterogeneous environment here, and it's pretty obvious at this point that we will have some form of CPU cores and GPU cores. We were thinking that it might be like a pure play Intel Larabee or something along that line, which would be interesting, but it seems clear at this point that we will have a combination of general purpose cores and GPU-oriented cores, which are getting flexible enough that you can do most of the things that you would do on a CPU. But there are still plenty of things that are much better done with a traditional CPU core, debugger and development environment. I will be a little surprised if there's any radical departure from that. I hope neither of them mess that up in some fundamental way. I'm very interested to see what the next gen consoles look like, if they're even going to have optical media or if they try to strike out without it. Those are the types of big decisions that I wouldn't want to be in the position of making because they're billion dollar effects. But this generation, I know most executives were surprised at what the attach rate was on this current generation of consoles.

DC: I know you occasionally make your opinions known to Nvidia, AMD and Intel via email, etc. Have you talked with Microsoft and Sony about their next hardware in the same way?

JC: We don't have close ties with Microsoft and Sony, but we do have good ties with Intel, AMD, and Nvidia. I thought it was tragic that Intel's integrated graphics, which are getting to be non-sucky at this point, have an address space limitation where everything's 64-bit. They still have these low order, physical bit limitations. It really strikes me as tragic that you've got a unified address space but you're going to limit yourself to living in this lower area and you're still managing it like a traditional device. You're not playing to the strengths of being an integrated part here, and it's completely possible that that's going to get screwed up in the next gen consoles - that they won't have translation on the GPU side of things and you'll still need to fight with contiguous physical address blocks. It would be really unfortunate if that was the case.

DC: Moving onto digital distribution: How do you feel about developers and publishers striking out on their own for digital distribution? Steam/Valve is the big dog, and now you have Origin/EA, too.

JC: There's definitely a sense that publishers don't want to be tied to Valve. It seems like an easy thing, setting up your own digital distribution, but I caution everyone that there is a lot more expertise built up at Valve than you might think. It's a harder task than just setting up some automated FTP sites with a web front end, and they have a network effect going by having the games download in the background. Everybody thinks, Well, I don't want to split my money with Valve. How hard can it be to set this up? And my advice is: usually it's harder than you think it is. I think from the consumer side, digital distribution like Steam is doing a really good thing. It's better than dealing with getting the box and losing the CD and all of those related issues. Everybody knows that this is the way the wind is blowing.

DC: And Steam didn't take off until several years after its initial release.

JC: I remember us talking with Valve, and they were trying to get us to release Doom 3 on Steam. Our response was basically, Are you crazy? We're not going to do this! All the props in the world should go out to Valve for having a vision, sticking with it through adversity, and then really coming out of things in the captain's chair.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/20859711

Maybe its just me, but I am not impressed that tablets now are 1/2 as powerful as a 6 year old game console......

iPad is basically smartphone hardware. Smartphone tech has evolved from zero to 2003-ish levels in a few years, that's not impressive?

This stuff advances exponentially. PS Vita is probably like 3/4th as powerful as a 360 and that's basically 2012 smartphone tech. More stuff is coming down the pike by 2013-2014 that will be much more powerful than the Vita.

So, basically, in a year or two we'll have phones as powerful as 360.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/20859711

Maybe its just me, but I am not impressed that tablets now are 1/2 as powerful as a 6 year old game console......

uh, yeah. thanks. you missed the point completely.

nobody reads the actual article, instead they read the subject line and assume they know what the article is about.

fail.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami /forum/post/20860002

it doesn't matter since apple has more revenue than the US govt, which to my knowledge has never happened in history...

Har har, except Apple raked in 64 billion last year? US govt made over 38 billion in arms sales alone last year (at least the ones that are on the books) and thats not even counting tax revenue(2.2 trillion)...now you could say that Apple makes more than some of the poorer countries on the planet such as Afghanistan or Haiti. Anyhow, back on topic.

The IPad is neat and all, however gaming on that thing is frustrating. Touchscreens will never be as viable for gaming as tactile controls such as a controller or mouse/keyboard. However, the consoles are starting to really show their age.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/20859844

iPad is basically smartphone hardware. Smartphone tech has evolved from zero to 2003-ish levels in a few years, that's not impressive?

This stuff advances exponentially. PS Vita is probably like 3/4th as powerful as a 360 and that's basically 2012 smartphone tech. More stuff is coming down the pike by 2013-2014 that will be much more powerful than the Vita.

So, basically, in a year or two we'll have phones as powerful as 360.

I don't think a tablet that's as powerful as an 8 year old game console will be any more impressive.....

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo /forum/post/20860727

Har har, except Apple raked in 64 billion last year? US govt made over 38 billion in arms sales alone last year (at least the ones that are on the books) and thats not even counting tax revenue(2.2 trillion)...now you could say that Apple makes more than some of the poorer countries on the planet such as Afghanistan or Haiti. Anyhow, back on topic.

The IPad is neat and all, however gaming on that thing is frustrating. Touchscreens will never be as viable for gaming as tactile controls such as a controller or mouse/keyboard. However, the consoles are starting to really show their age.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/29/app...ur-government/

·
Registered
11,644 Posts
Says more about how short sighted this generation of consoles was than how powerful tablets are.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Consoles are getting long in the tooth. No doubt about it. But I'm impressed as hell by what my iPad 2 can pump out graphics-wise. Infinity Blade, Dead Space, and Rage all look (and play) fantastic. I haven't been much of a portable gamer since the original Gameboy, but my iPad has changed that in a big way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami /forum/post/20860002

it doesn't matter since apple has more revenue than the US govt, which to my knowledge has never happened in history...

Right idea, but your facts are slightly wrong. Apple has more ready cash than the US govt, not revenue. Big difference. Says as much about the govt as it does about Apple.

BTW, when are we going to get an Apple section in these forums?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'd rather pay $250-$300 for a console that I can play on my projector screen, can do full surround sound, with hardcore online-enabled games, and with full analog controls as opposed to an overpriced $500 yuppie toy that is fully proprietary and won't let you do anything with it until Steve Jobs deems you worthy to do so.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo /forum/post/20860727

That's been my experience. I've tried a bunch of games but the controls have always been a dealbreaker (except for stuff like angry birds, plants v zombies).

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20861340

Consoles are getting long in the tooth. No doubt about it. But I'm impressed as hell by what my iPad 2 can pump out graphics-wise. Infinity Blade, Dead Space, and Rage all look (and play) fantastic. I haven't been much of a portable gamer since the original Gameboy, but my iPad has changed that in a big way.

Right idea, but your facts are slightly wrong. Apple has more ready cash than the US govt, not revenue. Big difference. Says as much about the govt as it does about Apple.

BTW, when are we going to get an Apple section in these forums?

Right there with ya bud. Especially on a Apple section. When iOS5 hits next month.. and Airplay/iPad mirroring is enabled, expect the beginning of iOS gaming on the HT setups to continually gain in popularity.

I play Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies and Zombie Gunship on my iOS devices WAYYY more than I do any console game.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R /forum/post/20861545

as opposed to an overpriced $500 yuppie toy that is fully proprietary and won't let you do anything with it until Steve Jobs deems you worthy to do so.

You're in the Xbox forums and you're complaining about another platform because it's too proprietary?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
While the 360 may be proprietary as well, it has nothing on Apple and its hyper-proprietary devices.

For instance, if you have the base 360 sans HD, no problem, you can hook up your own HD and partition 16 GB for storage. Don't like the stock controller? No problem, there are tons of 3rd party options out there.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R /forum/post/20862735

While the 360 may be proprietary as well, it has nothing on Apple and its hyper-proprietary devices.

For instance, if you have the base 360 sans HD, no problem, you can hook up your own HD and partition 16 GB for storage. Don't like the stock controller? No problem, there are tons of 3rd party options out there.

Thats a horrible analogy as the 360 internal drive must be replaced/upgraded with an OEM MS unit. Want to use a wireless device with the 360? Well tough tittie.. MS has never unlocked the proprietary wireless connection for use with 3rd party controllers, headsets, periphials. Its either MS branded 1st party wireless accessories.. or wires from somewhere buddy. Look I have no problem with calling a spade.. a spade. And I prefer Apple's "walled" garden as it keeps their devices simple to use and malware free. But even still 3rd party accessories like Bluetooth keyboards & mics, 30pin connector camera/storage kits, video/minidisplay/hdmi out connectors & even some trick wireless storage options that give extra storage space to any wifi-enabled iOS device.

In your own words.. there "are tons of options" out there for iOS devices. You just never bothered to look, too busy being an Apple hater.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/20861041

I don't think a tablet that's as powerful as an 8 year old game console will be any more impressive.....

So, in other words, you aren't impressed by the fact that engineers shrunk a game console that was top of the line at the time of its release to a cell phone in eight years?

I think that's an incredibly impressive achievement.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami /forum/post/20861121

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/29/app...ur-government/
http://www.gao.gov/financial/fy2010/10frusg.pdf

Oh by the way, the article you linked is just bad journalism. Oh to make it easier, scroll down to the page saying "nation by the numbers."

Edit: the US gov did actually turn a profit a few times, the 1990's saw a budget surplus. In any case, saying apple has more money than the US govt is a fallacy of immense proportions. It's like saying Singapore is richer than the US because it's per capita gdp is higher.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/20862995

So, in other words, you aren't impressed by the fact that engineers shrunk a game console that was top of the line at the time of its release to a cell phone in eight years?

I think that's an incredibly impressive achievement.

No I'm not. We haven't even seen it yet, so temper those expectations.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.