AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following was instigated by a feeling of guilt about watching TV on the projection system rather than one of the other TVs in our house. (We are retired and use HD-DVRs to time shift everything we watch.)

Assume a useful lamp life of 3000 hours for our Sony VPL-50 Pearl, a cost of $300 for a lamp, and an average of 8 hours operation daily. Rounding down the useful life to a year yields a lamp cost of $25 a month. Adding a $25 reserve to the $125 a month we pay DirecTV doesn't seem like an unreasonable added expense. If you instead assume 2500 hours of useful life, the cost is $30 a month, IMO still not an unreasonable cost.

db

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Preciesly why I drink cheap wine and watch movies on my 17" black and white TV with built in surround sound. It's powered by a windmill I built from old car parts.

HT hobby is much too expensive.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd /forum/post/16916149

The following was instigated by a feeling of guilt about watching TV on the projection system rather than one of the other TVs in our house. (We are retired and use HD-DVRs to time shift everything we watch.)

Assume a useful lamp life of 3000 hours for our Sony VPL-50 Pearl, a cost of $300 for a lamp, and an average of 8 hours operation daily. Rounding down the useful life to a year yields a lamp cost of $25 a month. Adding a $25 reserve to the $125 a month we pay DirecTV doesn't seem like an unreasonable added expense. If you instead assume 2500 hours of useful life, the cost is $30 a month, IMO still not an unreasonable cost.

db

You're getting off easy if that's the case, consider someone like myself. I'm on my 4th projector in almost as many years. I've only ever purchased one lamp (and didn't really need to).

So figure your projector cost/12. Means I've got absolutely no guilt over watching on my FP, I'm going to drain as much life as I possibly can before the upgradeitis kicks in and takes a big chunk out of the wallet.

Oh, and of course the obligatory

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I used to have a JVC G11 and the bulb was good for 1000 hours at a price of 950. Compare that to 350-400 for a bulb that can do 2000 hours plus. On the other hand, nothing beats the color of a Xenon light bulb although its expensive and produces a lot of heat

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My Samsung H710 is only good for 800hrs, so about every 8-9 months it was 250(relamp) or 350 new for a bulb...but no complaints because the picture is outstanding!. I knew this pj was a handful, but start up issues..only one..and the bulb price was worth it, strangely enough..

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd /forum/post/16916149

db

The cost of lamps are not that much you can always find cheap lamps at alternate websites.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/

or

http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/

And many of these sites offer cheaper bulbs for less than 200$ and some even give warranty for 6 months. So the avg price would come down for watching tv or movies on PJ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts