AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i've been looking into TVs for the past few months... i thought i had my mind made up with the Samsung 750 52" LCD....

Until i started reading about the new 9G Kuros....

I don't really know too much about plasmas.. only few buzz words/phrases that seem to float about.... so:

- They're bigger and heavier than LCDs

- Use more power

- Generate (lots of?) heat?

- SMEAR/BLUR A LOT WORSE THAN LCD!

I know the Kuro's black levels are WAY better than any LCD around and i'm really tempted to get one, over a Samsung LCD.. but the only nagging thing in my mind.. is gaming performance...

Could someone give me some sensible and realistic comparisons?!

Really appreciate it! (oh and if you could dispell those myths(?) i mentioned earlier - even better

Looking forward to being persuaded

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking through them now

Although i'm looking for some comparisons really... obviously the Kuro's are good.. but i'm after some comparisons and 'updated Plasma' info really.... i'm still judging based on old info

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooper1 /forum/post/14225909

-

-They're bigger and heavier than LCDs
Yes, but they're getting slimmer
Quote:
- Use more power
Generally, yes, but again, they're getting better..
Quote:
More than LCD
Quote:
HELL NO! LCDs have much more motion blur/smear than Plasmas.

Go for the Kuro!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How has plasma technology advanced over the past year or so? Obviously the kuro's produce way better blacks than any LCD can (including sets using LED backlighting), has the responsiveness also improved? (was it always worse than LCD's, or was that mis-information i took in?!)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Plasmas have always had better motion resolution compared to LCD. If your talking about input lag, that's something the all digital displays (Plasma, LCD, DLP & LCOS) suffer from to some extent. I've read lots of posts in the Samsung A750 LCD thread about poor input response times, which might make them a bad choice for gaming, be careful!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Did he just say that Plasmas smear/blurr more than LCD??

thats completly backwards.

Motion on Plasma is near perfect.

The reason most new LCD's have 120hz is because LCD is the Tech with serious motion blurr issues. Not that 120hz helps anyway.

The best way to look at it is that Plasmas naturally achieve what LCD uses all the funky little add-ons (like 120hz,led backlighting, AMP, motionflow,etc.) for.

LCD is basically trying its best to look like plasma. So why not just get a plasma?

good question.

IT took me a Sony SXRD rear-projection, a Sony XBR4 LCD, and a Samsung LNY5271F to finally realize I should have went straight for plasma.

Do some reasearch, you will find that Plasma renders the best picture quality availible today and most A/V magazines and reviewers agree on this.

I would suggest getting a Kuro, if you don't like it then take it back (like that will happen).

After having it for a while you will see what all the talk is about. You will more than likely have a hard time going back to an LCD and will think "ewww" when you see LCD's in the stores from then on.

The buzz issue on Kuro's is not a big problem. Most people only get a slight hum that they never really notice anyway. Sometimes people get a buzzer but most don't. And even if you are unfortunate enough to get one that buzzes abnormally, you will still probably rather have that than an LCD. Chances are you will not even notice the buzz unless you turn all sound off and listen really hard. IMO LCD's should be outlawed as large flat-panels and should only be used as computer monitors. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I defected from LCD's too and I have a similar situation to chadmak. I went from a Sony SXRD 60A2000 to a Sony 52XBR5 now to the 9G Pioneer and it is certainly the best TV purchase I've made. Smearing bothered me on the LCD and the Pioneer smears much, MUCH less! Going from the XBR5 which was nearly 6" deep to the Pioneer Elite 151, which is a little over 3" deep was quite a difference, too!

The Pioneer's ANSI contrast cannot be touched by any LCD, no matter what the technology they use right now, Cathode backlighting or LED.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooper1 /forum/post/14226002

How has plasma technology advanced over the past year or so? Obviously the kuro's produce way better blacks than any LCD can (including sets using LED backlighting), has the responsiveness also improved? (was it always worse than LCD's, or was that mis-information i took in?!)

Here ya go:

http://gizmodo.com/336498/best-plasm...ct-plasma-wins

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/14226067

The best way to look at it is that Plasmas naturally achieve what LCD uses all the funky little add-ons (like 120hz,led backlighting, AMP, motionflow,etc.) for.

Ahh i was going to mention that - how come there's less 'features' with Plasmas, compared to LCDs, but you've answered that now! (although im sure the Kuro has plenty of options and tweaks etc)

looking at the link you gave now

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't forget too that choosing a TV has subjective elements to it as well. Lcds are brighter than plasmas and there are some people (I'm not one of than) that prefer the bright picture an lcd gives off as opposed to the less bright but more natural picture of a plasma.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooper1 /forum/post/14225909

Okay so i've been looking into TVs for the past few months... i thought i had my mind made up with the Samsung 750 52" LCD....

Until i started reading about the new 9G Kuros....

I don't really know too much about plasmas.. only few buzz words/phrases that seem to float about.... so:

- They're bigger and heavier than LCDs

- Use more power

I know the Kuro's black levels are WAY better than any LCD around and i'm really tempted to get one, over a Samsung LCD.. but the only nagging thing in my mind.. is gaming performance...

Could someone give me some sensible and realistic comparisons?!

Really appreciate it! (oh and if you could dispell those myths(?) i mentioned earlier - even better

Looking forward to being persuaded

No one needs to persuade you. Your very own eyes will have no problem doing it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True i guess hehe

Although i saw a 5090 in the shops a while ago, the black levels looked good, although from about 1-2 metres away, it seemed kinda grainy/fuzzy... although i guess that's just because of the distance i was away.

(was running a rolling Pioneer demo, not TV feed btw)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
... and don't forget how much better plasma is in showing snow. Instead of that boring white, it adds a beautiful shade of yellow with a pinch of gray. You will really like it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/14242770

Give it a little time and you will get full explanation from the church of Kuro.

Or a troll that likes to belive they have the edge on truth.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I decided to go TV browsing last night. I was floored when I came across both the 6020 and the 151. These are above and beyond anything out there. Yes the price is definately much higher for these but my God were these amazing. I didn't want to believe it (as i wasnt wanting to spend that kind of money) but Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony.... nothing... nothing was even remotely close.

I played with all of them for about an hour. Made sure they were all set to factory defaults, all running the same feed.

Drool... The 6020 will be mine... oh yes... it will be mine!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
pooper1, just 3 things:

1) read

2) research

3) demo

If those 3 things & your own good sense doesn't lead you to Pioneer PDP, then I doubt this is the TV for you.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Thanks for trolling ramazur!

Plasmas are inherently not as bright as LCD's but that's not necessarily a bad thing, given each individuals viewing habits. I watch mostly in the dark, so added peak brightness is absolutely wasted because it becomes too bright.

As for yellow tinted whites, for an ISF calibrated 6500k grayscale, ANY display's whites will look yellow. A white-white color means that the grayscale is too cool.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts