AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://petergabriel.com/newblood_dvd.php

DVD, Blu-ray, and 3D Blu-ray coming in October.

Track listing:

* 01. Intruder

* 02. Wallflower

* 03. The Boy in the Bubble

* 04. Apres Moi

* 05. The Drop

* 06. Washing of the Water

* 07. The Book of Love

* 08. Darkness

* 09. The Power of the Heart

* 10. Biko

* 11. San Jacinto

* 12. Digging in the Dirt

* 13. Signal to Noise

* 14. Downside Up

* 15. Mercy Street

* 16. The Rhythm of the Heat

* 17. Blood of Eden

* 18. Red Rain

* 19. Solsbury Hill

* 20. In Your Eyes

* 21. Don't Give Up

* 22. The Nest that Sailed the Sky

By Peter's own admittance he finds 3D a bit of a fad, but had fun with the process regardless.

I had hoped they'd shoot a little while on tour in the states this past Summer as they tweaked the arrangements making them much better, (and there's a version of Secret World that wasn't yet ready for this London show) but I'll be happy to revisit Siginal to Noise and Rhythm of the Heat.

Pete's got a great track record for proper audio, so we'll see how this one turns out.

And yes, he still has the pipes...

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The disc finally came in on Monday. I opted for the 3D version, even though I currently lack the capability. I haven't had a chance to watch much but I did spot check a few songs just to get an idea. Here's my preliminary impressions, but I don't expect them to change much.

Video: 7/10 - This is one of those releases that was shot with different video cameras with the result being a mix of great looking shots (the close ups of Peter seemed to have the best camera in the place) so-so shots (some of the medium angle shots look harsh and overly sharpened) and lo-fi (there's a few "web cam" type angles, such as that of the conductor.)

Audio: 9/10
- This is more like it. The recording takes a very literal 'you are there' approach, rather than trying to make it sound like a glossed over studio mix from the sound board. Like many of Peter's recent recordings, it has a slightly recessed tone with lush low-midbass. At times the echo in the hall is really pronounced, but works well with the material. The dynamics aren't quite as good as the outstanding recording of the New Blood standalone CD (which is a different recording altogether) but it's very good. The bass drums on the song Signal to Noise was possibly the most pleasing bass that's ever come out of my sub. I've read an online review that said there was a bit of harshness to the strings, but I'd have to respectfully disagree. I think the mix is an excellent compromise between what you'd normally hear from a pop/rock concert VS orchestrally arranged music.

Performance: 8/10
- I believe this was the first performance for the orchestra with the material. Everything comes off as ever so slightly restrained VS the show I saw this past June, where everything was really humming and a few minor tweaks to the arrangements had been made. A minor nit pic, once in a while they elect to add the effects that are happening on the screen behind the performers in as an effect overlay on top of the performers. I've no doubt this was done to add a few 3D effects, but if you watch it in 2D it's sometimes a tad distracting/cheesy.

Overall: 8/10
- It's a very long show, which means I probably won't have the time to watch it in one setting most of the time, but this type of arrangement works well to sit down and take in at 4 or 5 song intervals. (The show runs 2 hrs 20 minutes here, and that's with cutting a few songs like Heroes and Father/Son as well as in between song chatter. Not counting the opening act, when I saw New Blood live it was nearly 3 hours.) Peter's voice is in remarkably good form and sounds just as strong as it ever did, which is never a given, particularly when you're now in your 60's like Peter is. (I recall watching u2's 360 concert earlier this year and noted how many high notes Bono's been skipping along with letting the audience sing/carry him through some other material.)

For the cheap price you can find for the 2D version, I'd give it my recommendation.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie /forum/post/21129088

The dynamics aren't quite as good as the outstanding recording of the New Blood standalone CD (which is a different recording altogether) but it's very good.

Just got the CD yesterday myself, and it is very nice indeed. Sounds as good as some of my "hi-res" music.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Great review chirpie!

I agree about the 2D viewing... the chessy 3D effects do not work. Now I know why my favorite song was left off...Secret World. After watching this show, I just threw in my DVD of Growing Up Live for my Secret World fix.

For me, the songs that I really enjoyed with the NB Orchestra were:

Wallflower

Darkness

Biko

San Jacinto

Signal to Noise

The Rhythm of the Heat

In Your Eyes

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Please tell me his daughter Melanie is not honking on this disc. I know Peter is proud of his children but this girl has an awful voice. She literally brings the music to a screeching halt whenever she starts singing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/21135994

I was shocked that now Kate Bush is back, that she did not appear

expect him to break out Adrian Belew and Laurie Anderson also?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.