AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I watch the show on him last night on ABC. He love his profession with a passion. Have to respect that. More than that, he was very good at what he did.

RIP

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
He must have been pretty far alone when diagnosed, for he went in about 4 months, which is really fast. :(

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
He had stopped smoking in the 80's, but started again after 9/11. He was pretty much a goner when they found it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I remember that I didn't care about which anchor delivered the news, but during 9/11, there was something about his commentary and the way he handled himself on air. I was flipping channels but always went back to Peter Jennings. He was somehow authoritative, knowledgeable, and even a bit comforting. Since then I have always been able to say definitively that he was my favorite news anchor.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Very sad. He died in a manner not unlike my father a couple of years ago.

I literally grew up with Peter Jennings in my house since day one. I'm 29 years old now, so I remember the days of Peter Jennings teamed up with Frank Reynolds and Max Robinsion and then the day Peter became the top guy.

The memory I have of him that still gives me goosebumps was, of course, 9-11.

Here was the ultimate, consumate professional journalist right? Ice man, no emotions, super professional? But like others are saying, he always had an approach that was never cold nor sterile. Very true!

And 9-11 was SO hideous and earth shattering that even HE choked up on the air when he talked about making contact with his kids and seeing that they were alright.

You forget sometimes that,yes, these journalists are indeed human beings and during something like a 9-11, it was nice to see the "journalist facade" dropped and see them allow themselves to BE human beings on the air.

I always respected Jennings before that day, but after that, I had even more respect for him and even a warm place in my heart, especially since I'd "grown up" with him.

Jennings was a comfort and a steady source on 9-11 under truly impossible conditions.

I felt a special gratitude and warmth in my heart for him after that day. I know it sounds corny, but it's true.

Jennings' approach was someone I could always respect and take seriously. This is a big loss today for the news world. Hell, it's just a big loss, PERIOD.

It almost does feel like a family member or a friend is gone today. Real close to home.

A little blast from the past, courtesy of the CBC archives: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-1813...peter_jennings

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I woak up at 4:50am and saw the report of his death and was saddened. I personally can't believe that I've been watching him almost every night for over 22 years!! I can't imagine watching ABC World New Tonight with out him. He was that show, to me and alot of others.

RIP Mr Jennings, I will miss you greatly...... :(

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Just read that Dana Reeve, widow of Christopher Reeve, has now also been diagnosed with lung cancer. And she was not a smoker.

htomei

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htomei22
Just read that Dana Reeve, widow of Christopher Reeve, has now also been diagnosed with lung cancer. And she was not a smoker.

htomei
Believe it or not, she's not the first I've seen. I had a math teacher from jr. high who was the picture of perfect health and would arguably run circles around most people half his age, he, never smoked, never overdrank, good eating habits, you name it...

and he got knocked down with lung cancer (not the small cell kind) and was dead in a year.

Unreal! Scary!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is to NOT trust your health to doctors. By the time they discover things it's too late. We all need to be more pro-active when it comes to our health. Have your body scanned every few years even if your dumb doctor tells you that it's not necessary.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Believe it or not, she's not the first I've seen. I had a math teacher from jr. high who was the picture of perfect health and would arguably run circles around most people half his age, he, never smoked, never overdrank, good eating habits, you name it...

and he got knocked down with lung cancer (not the small cell kind) and was dead in a year.

Unreal! Scary!
Didn't that happen to Ozzie Nelson - i.e., clean-living, non-smoker, and died of lung cancer? (LA air pollution, perhaps?)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc
is to NOT trust your health to doctors. By the time they discover things it's too late. We all need to be more pro-active when it comes to our health. Have your body scanned every few years even if your dumb doctor tells you that it's not necessary.
Body scans? You mean that scam the doctors started selling around 2003 to paranoid baby boomers?

Those things do more harm than good. The average healthy adult has all types of scary things going on in their body. All those scans did was turn up a bunch of stuff to be tested and retested, with most of it being unnecessary.

Did you know your average adult with no reported back problems, has herniated discs in their spinal cord? Often they look just as bad as a person who has severe back pain.

Go out and enjoy life, rather than spending precious hours of it in a paranoia fit in some doctors office..

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Lots of things can cause lung cancer. I'm waiting for the news on fiberglass insulation.

As to Jennings, MNF had about 2 minutes on him, if that. I'm glad ABC managed to do such a great tribute to him for those of us on the West Coast. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Very sad. He died in a manner not unlike my father a couple of years ago.

I literally grew up with Peter Jennings in my house since day one. I'm 29 years old now, so I remember the days of Peter Jennings teamed up with Frank Reynolds and Max Robinsion and then the day Peter became the top guy.

The memory I have of him that still gives me goosebumps was, of course, 9-11.

Here was the ultimate, consumate professional journalist right? Ice man, no emotions, super professional? But like others are saying, he always had an approach that was never cold nor sterile. Very true!

And 9-11 was SO hideous and earth shattering that even HE choked up on the air when he talked about making contact with his kids and seeing that they were alright.

You forget sometimes that,yes, these journalists are indeed human beings and during something like a 9-11, it was nice to see the "journalist facade" dropped and see them allow themselves to BE human beings on the air.

I always respected Jennings before that day, but after that, I had even more respect for him and even a warm place in my heart, especially since I'd "grown up" with him.

Jennings was a comfort and a steady source on 9-11 under truly impossible conditions.

I felt a special gratitude and warmth in my heart for him after that day. I know it sounds corny, but it's true.

Jennings' approach was someone I could always respect and take seriously. This is a big loss today for the news world. Hell, it's just a big loss, PERIOD.

It almost does feel like a family member or a friend is gone today. Real close to home.

A little blast from the past, courtesy of the CBC archives: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-1813...peter_jennings
Jennings was a handsome young man. As far as lung cancer goes, most of those that get it but haven't smoked either acquired it through pollution, second hand smoke or asbestos. My dad died of colon related cancer but he had a spot on his lungs that we were sure it was from working at Con Ed in NY (power co.) where they used asbestos for many things.

I wonder if the 911 thing was so intense for him that it kicked his habit back in again. The video showed him with a cig almost all the time. Looks to be he was a chain smoker.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Body scans? You mean that scam the doctors started selling around 2003 to paranoid baby boomers?

Those things do more harm than good. The average healthy adult has all types of scary things going on in their body. All those scans did was turn up a bunch of stuff to be tested and retested, with most of it being unnecessary.

Did you know your average adult with no reported back problems, has herniated discs in their spinal cord? Often they look just as bad as a person who has severe back pain.

Go out and enjoy life, rather than spending precious hours of it in a paranoia fit in some doctors office..

Well, tell that to the many who like Jennings, if had caught their cancers early, would still be alive today to enjoy life. Like I said before, in the end it's you who'll have to live with the consequences.

The surest way to detect cancer for doctors is to SEE IT! If and when symptoms show up it's usually too late.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.