1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Very sad. He died in a manner not unlike my father a couple of years ago.

I literally grew up with Peter Jennings in my house since day one. I'm 29 years old now, so I remember the days of Peter Jennings teamed up with Frank Reynolds and Max Robinsion and then the day Peter became the top guy.

The memory I have of him that still gives me goosebumps was, of course, 9-11.

Here was the ultimate, consumate professional journalist right? Ice man, no emotions, super professional? But like others are saying, he always had an approach that was never cold nor sterile. Very true!

And 9-11 was SO hideous and earth shattering that even HE choked up on the air when he talked about making contact with his kids and seeing that they were alright.

You forget sometimes that,yes, these journalists are indeed human beings and during something like a 9-11, it was nice to see the "journalist facade" dropped and see them allow themselves to BE human beings on the air.

I always respected Jennings before that day, but after that, I had even more respect for him and even a warm place in my heart, especially since I'd "grown up" with him.

Jennings was a comfort and a steady source on 9-11 under truly impossible conditions.

I felt a special gratitude and warmth in my heart for him after that day. I know it sounds corny, but it's true.

Jennings' approach was someone I could always respect and take seriously. This is a big loss today for the news world. Hell, it's just a big loss, PERIOD.

It almost does feel like a family member or a friend is gone today. Real close to home.

A little blast from the past, courtesy of the CBC archives: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-1813...peter_jennings

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Jennings was always my favorite of the "Big 3" anchors. Whenever an important story broke, I always turned to ABC. He had a certain charisma that was utterly addictive. I could sit there and listen to that guy for hours. There will never be another like him.

·
Registered
726 Posts
In the 22 years he was ABC anchor, I can't recall that I ever watched him.....

Nothing bad, just an observation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.