Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.**************.com/petition.html

We need to get some simple and "public friendly" text for a REAL petition to send to the various agencies who are conspiring to take away our HD!

Here is the email I recently sent to my local gov offices:

I am a hard working middle income person, and consider myself to be an informed consumer. I also have a love for the best in home theater and television systems, especially HDTV (High Definition TV). So I saved my money, did the research, and finally purchased a three thousand dollar Panasonic HDTV. I have since purchased the required receiver so that I may tune into the High Definition programming being broadcast by the networks and a few premium satellite movie channels.

I will try not to get too technical here, while I explain the predicament that all of the current HDTV owners, including me, are now facing. All of the current hardware that is being used to view High Definition programs is soon going to be made obsolete by a new “standard†which the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has been pushing the electronics manufacturers into implementing.

There are currently around 500,000 HDTV owners in America today, and it is expected that by the end of the year there could be 2 million owners. None of these HDTV’s will be able to view High Definition programs if this new standard is adopted.

The MPAA says they are trying to stop pirating of High Definition content by using a new standard, which includes copy protection. The truth is, there is currently only one procedure that allows a person to record High Definition programs. The equipment to do so costs twice as much as the television that I purchased to view High Definition. The MPAA is coercing the electronics manufacturers into making this the new standard, or they will stop providing the consumer with the HD content.

If this new standard is put into effect, more than 2 million people will be throwing away their three thousand dollar HDTV’s because they no longer display the programs in High Definition. We will be forced to buy this next generation TV, less than a few years after purchasing our original equipment.

Let's get one going everybody!

Hammer

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdwn:
http://www.**************.com/petition.html

The MPAA says they are trying to stop pirating of High Definition content by using a new standard, which includes copy protection. The truth is, there is currently only one procedure that allows a person to record High Definition programs. The equipment to do so costs twice as much as the television that I purchased to view High Definition. The MPAA is coercing the electronics manufacturers into making this the new standard, or they will stop providing the consumer with the HD content.

Hammer

While I agree 100% with your cause, this statement is hersey and not accurate.

IT IS NOT THE MPAA WHO IS DOING THIS. IT's THE SUDIOS WHO IN TURN ARE THE CONTENT OWNERS.

Yes the studios may all or mostly be MPAA members but do you pick on the AMA because a few health plans are screwing you?

For this effort to be the least bit effective, it should be sent to all the studio heads. These are all public corporations and the officers are a matter of public record along with mailing addresses.

The MPAA does in fact want home video to go away because it threatens it's core mission. That is to regulate the theatre industry. The studios on the other hand make HUGE profits with home video. So they need to hear this, not the MPAA who could care less.

All this MPAA crap can be traced back to one post sometime in January. I won't mention names but the poster is in computer sales on the east coast. Yeah, this person is highly qualified to speak in the inner workings of Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The "big six" (Disney [and their sub studios], Warner, Polygram, Sony-Columbia, Paramount, Fox) are for all practical purposes the MPAA with Jack the annotated one as their spokesperson. I don't see arguing that they are not. I'm ready to swing a hammer! Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

Stop DFAST, tell the MPAA to eat static!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the reason for the post is to:

1. Get some of us to come up with some text that is accurate, meaningful, public friendly, and catchy.

2.Decide exactly who should be the recipient(s).

Then submit the petition for signatures. The Web should take care of the rest.

Hammer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.