AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three pg's, two 6000's and one 6100 and all have sync issues. One had a restart problem, fixed that, another had a hv arcing problem and I fixed that... but there is more trouble.

pg6 number one syncs at vga only and works fine but svga makes it zoom in and out horizontally like flashing wider picture and it shows no pic at xga with incompatable match. It also flashes the led on the def board in sync with the zooming so I suspect the stk chip on the def pwb board.

pg6+ does just about exactly the same thing as the first pg6.

pg6 two won't sync to anything rgb but shows setup screens and test patterns with no input. no error codes or lights on def pwb.

What are the odds that all three have just about the same problem and all are the def board?

Troy

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I've got a PG here that syncs fine but pulses about twice a sec. I've changed the deflection board, that wasn't it. I suspect the power supply. I

ll be working on it today, I'll let you know.

Cirt

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanman

Yep, the source is fine It simultaneously runs three monitors, two of which are BNC and I did swap cables to make sure all was ok. It's not that they all just broke all the sudden, I've collected them one at a time and am finally getting around to fixing them.

Curt,

Cool...that sounds about right twice per second. I have swapped everything easy to get to and the lvps. Haven't done the HVPS yet and I think it is a likely candidate as it's the one that had the HV arcing. I got the arcing stopped, but then I swapped def boards and it arced again.

thanks guys!

Troy

·
Registered
490 Posts
Interesting ...

I was working on a 6PG Xtra a few days back whereby any signal entered ( only tried the RGBHV input ) would exhibit this horizontal size pulsing, but I could bring it into stability by reducing the horizontal width with the remote or via the H.WIDTH pot. A single click on the remote either way from a particular point could bring on the problem or stop it. I ended up redefining all the memories used while the PC was booting into its final screen resolution and all seems to be stable now.

From what I have understood reading this thread one can surmise that one of the power supplies is running out of 'grunt' to drive the beam above a certain width and is triggering it's failsafe circuitry. I'm keen to learn of the final solution for this issue as ideally I would like to utilize a bit more of the phosphor face.

Cheers :)

Russ

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Guys,

Check the H OUT pot settings. This is the protect for H output. First just try to rock back and forth to clean the pot.

To adjust the H OUT use a video signal 15 kHz then adjust VR5004 to read 2.0V at test point TP5006 + and TP5006 -

If you dont have a video card installed use RGB at the same video freq. Doug

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, I haven't had a chance to work on it any more.

Hopefully Curt will figure it out before I have to continue blindly swapping parts.

Troy

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Troy,

I must have mis understood you, thought you were asking for help.

Im not sure what the odds are, what was the weather like in Portland and were all these plugged into the same line voltage?

We had a power failure in Garden Grove while I was in Dallas, when I got back I had three with system board problems two with power supply problems and they lost a bunch of computers.

If I didnt know there was a power issue what would be the odds of all this happening in two different days in three different campus locations but on the same power grid?

Something isnt right but what was the common factor? Doug

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was asking for help... But I can swap parts and probably figure it out if I have to but I'm down to parts that aren't so easily swapped.

I bought them this way, one at a time. Merely a coincidence that they exhibit similar problems.

I run a home for unwanted crt projectors. :)

Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.