AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blue tube may be gone it still shines bright on bright scenes but it is noticaly darker than red and green is there a way to determine if the tube is gone or if it is some other problem. I also would like to shorten the throw (ie william phelps) to get a brighter picture on a 72-80" wide screen in a 13 foot room. Does anyone know where to find a post regarding the phelps adjustments and subsequent adjustments need to give 16:9 image. If the blue tube is gone where can I get a new one or rebuilt one.

thank you for all of your help

carlton

ps. Any techs in new york to do setup (westchester area)

·
Registered
251 Posts
The blue tube is darker than the others anyway, but if you genuinely feel there's a problem then:

1) Check the colour balance adjustments. Press the KELVIN button on the remote (or you can get there via the ADJUST menu) and check to see whether the settings for Blue are much lower than Red and Green. If they are, try adjusting them upwards. (Make a note of the starting values first, though.)

2) Whip the lens off the blue gun and see if the tube is, like, majorly burnt. Also check for buildup of dirt or gunk on the inner surface of the blue lens. (The blue lens isn't colour filtered so you should be able to see through it perfectly clearly. If it looks shaded then there's your problem.)

3) Make sure the BLUE DEFOCUS switch on the deflection board (the big PCB just beneath the hood) is turned on. If it isn't, turn it on and see how your picture looks - blue should be brighter overall. If it is, turn it off and check the blue focus before turning it on again (make sure you note your starting values first). Blue needs to be a little defocussed a little because it isn't as bright as the other colours; the BLUE DEFOCUS switch forces the beam spot to become enough larger than ideal that the blue gun puts out more light.

4) AS A LAST RESORT, after marking as exactly as you can where it started from, *gently* turn the SCREEN control for the blue gun (it's the big white thing mounted above the blue gun on the side chassis rail with 3 knobs sticking out of it; you want the one marked B). If your blue gun is way too dark, you'll need to turn it clockwise, but be gentle, the control is very sensitive.

- David Eddy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did (before I knew the danger) turn the blue control on the screen gain all the way clockwise but the blue did not get much brighter the gren and red got darker. Also I don't see much burn on the blue. Test patterns do show from blue but messages and menus only appear on the red and green tubes. Thank you for your other suggestions and I will try them all.

thank you

carlton

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.