Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

For a couple years I have read with envy about everyone with electromagnetic focus projectors, with whiz-bang fancy features like electronic zone astigmatism correction, and how much sharper the images are than us poor electrostatic focus-types can achieve. So, after 2 years of living with my ES focus projector I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a 6PG.

Now to my question - I'm planning how I'd like to set it up and reading through other PG owner's posts I see again and again people talking about running them at 1280 x 720 and how great it looks. But... according to my calculations, both the PG-6000 and PG-6100 have a maximum RGB bandwidth of 70 Mhz. To get 1280x720 below that you need to cut your refresh rate down to 50 Hz - and I would be surprised if that's what people are running.

So - am I calculating this wrong, are my specs wrong, or does exceeding your max RGB bandwidth by, say, 12.9 Mhz (which would be the case @ 60 Hz) or more really not degrade the image all that much?

Any guru-types have an opinion on this, or is everyone with a 6PG or 6PG+ running 720p doing so at 48 - 50 Hz?

Thanks -

Chris Purvis

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
50 Hz for PAL

Go with 48 for NTSC.

Roland

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - that was not my question, I'm aware of the multiples of NTSC and PAL material. The reason I question whether or not people are running 48Hz is that I know many people (me included) are bothered by the flicker. So I am wondering, in all these posts, are people exceeding their max RGB bandwidth and living with the (perhaps not so) degraded picture, or is everyone but me just running a 6PG-Extra? :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I run my 6pg at 720p @ 60hz on HDTV. AT 60hz you're not exceeding the bandwidth of the 6pg. You only need a video bandwidth of 50Mhz to display 720p @ 60hz. The 6pg is good up to 70Mhz. So, yes you can run 720p @ 60hz easily.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
You may be calculating wrong.

I'm running 1280x720 at 75hz with no problems on my 6200.

The scan rate reported by the projector is 58khz.

I realise your talking about bandwith, not scan rate. A calculator I found on the web gave me a 103Mhz bandwidth for my res, 23Mhz above the bandwidth spec of the Xtra. The picture is not soft.

I would try and see.

Mark

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay - the formula I was using is the one that extron uses for determining appropriate bandwidth headroom - so I see where I could be comparing apples to oranges (assuming the PG is really the bottleneck, which it may not be - but that's another thread somewhere). I will definately try it and see.

thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.