AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm getting annoyed. For the second time I've lost control over blue pincushion on my 6pg xtra. The first time I replaced, the C-drive with a spare, now I'm out of spares. I guess I have to do some soldering or get a pro to do it. Why would the same thing keep blowing. I'm using no static, none of my convergence controls were crazy high numbers. Keystone probably being the highest at 40 to 50. My blue pincushion setting where around 10. This time it happened when I unplugged the projector for 24hours because of thunderstorm activity. When I plugged it back in I lost pincushion control on blue.

I'm thinking there might of been a system board problem on this set. I'd setup different signal entries for 720p and 1080i but when I'd change one it would affect the other. Also the projector didn't seem to resync when I would change resolutions. I'd never hear that normal noise associatied with changing to a different resolution. The last thing that was weird was when I would press point, half the time I wouldn't get the square to make the adjustments just the cross coarse pattern would pop up. Other times I'd get the square.

Should I keep replacing C-Drives? I've swapped system boards now hoping that will help.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Bump for Doug (this is well beyond me...)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: Okay, it turns out that the stk chips are okay after all. It's a connection problem with the last blue connector on the C-Drive. If I wiggle it or smack the projector I can get pincushion control back.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
So resolder the connection on the C-drive - sounds like it has a dry solder joint.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is, I've swapped C-drives so I think the problem is the connector or the wire lead. Not likely both have a dry joint. Examing my old C-drive shows no sign of a dry solder connection, it's nice and shiny.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
It could be the lead couldn't it? A bit harder to fix, but possible - pop the metal connector out of the white plastic body and CAREFULLY try and uncrimp it. Then cut a little off the lead and strip it. Try and crimp it back in + add some solder. Then push back into body.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I finally diagnosed the problem. It seems like my projector is very sensitive to slight uneven torsion that is applyed to the frame when I screw the flip down case into place. The hinges may not be perfectly aligned to the body of the projector so it puts a little force on the frame. I removed the cover and just slightly touching one side at the back of the projector throws out vertical pincushion on blue. There might be a hairline crack in the motherboard or a bad solder joint somewhere. It works fine with the case on floor mounted. I guess gravity is helping the bad connection.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The C-drives tend to pop the connections on the plugs. Often the solder looks fine, but it has actually cracked the trace just before the solder. Check again with a magnifying glass. Also, pull out the boards in the system cage, clean all the edge connectors with an eraser, and plug each one back in.

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.