AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my system, I notice that when I phantom the center for movies and music concerts (especially music concerts) I get a better overall presentation. Of course, I only do this when I am watching alone or have one other visitor. Almost everyone who tried both center and phantom center settings have agreed with my observation on my system. Has anyone else had the same or different results? To me it is a pretty big difference.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Agreed!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wasted tons of money on center speakers and amps trying to make it work. In the end I concluded that if you have two good front channels, a center channel will likely make things worse. Spend the money elsewhere in the system.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim

I agree, but I have to make the "guests" happy until I self actualize and become a hermit. I figure if HD-DVD comes out at 1080p and SACD quality audio, I will reach my fullest potential as a human being, I won't need other people anymore, and I will sell my center channel :).

·
Registered
404 Posts
dont use my center anymore either

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I agree completely. Using a pair of good imaging speakers can create a wide smooth landscape. Using the center channels tends to collapse that imaging to be too-center focused. Now that's great if you're in the sweet spot, but if you have guests off center a center channel will help pull the dialog back to the center.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.