AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw Phantom Menace for the first time, on my HT. It rocked! I thought the video looked awesome. I've seen all the negative comments on the PM transfer, discussing the edge enhancement. I could see that, but, you know what? - I didn't care. It just makes me realize how esoteric some of the analysis of video can get. Sometimes (usually), it's best to just sit back and let the movie wash over you.

Anyway, I did notice a couple of things about the audio. First of all, the surrounds seemed much more geared to providing ambience than sounds that are "coming from behind you". I have my surrounds in the back of my room, and it's always seemed like kind of a tradeoff. Sometimes, the sound is supposed to be behind you, like in the "planes flying overhead" scenario. With this movie, it seemed that the surrounds were mostly for ambience, and it was a little distracting to hear those sounds coming from the back of the room. Does anyone know if TPM was intentionally mixed this way?

Also, the audio volume range seemed high. It was hard to get it so that the dialogue was correct w/o having the loud parts VERY loud.

Overall, though, a great movie, and an awesome one to show off your system.

Just my two cents...

- Dave

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ok, a few points. TPM sound, from your description, was mixed properly. Your speaker setup appears to be non-optimal for 5.1 materal though. Most real surround sound speakers should be parallel with the "Sweet spot" or close to it.

Yes properly mixed DVD's have a much greater dynamic range so that even when the dialog sounds right there can be some very LOUD scenes as well. This is how it was intended. Both or your problems can be solved by switching back to the analog audio out on your DVD and using "Dynamic range compression ( DRC )" or "Dialog Enhancer" settigns on your DVD to boost the volume during dialog.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snowmoon:

Yes, I know all that. My comments were more that TPM seemed to exhibit these traits to an unusual extent. The dynamic range seemed unusually large. "Loudish" sounds were a bit too lound, and "loud" sounds were deafening. The ambience sounds seemed to be coming more exclusively from the surrounds than most movies, as opposed to having some of those sounds coming from the mains - which would fill the whole room more than just having the sounds come from the surrounds alone.

Regarding having the surrounds to the sides - this is a debatable point. I realize that many people say this, and that it's what THX says. Others, though, say that they should be in the rear. The reason that I put mine in the rear was that it worked better with my room, and that my installer is one of those that says that it's the "right" way.

Your surrounds really have two duties. One is to provide ambience. The other is to locate sounds that are supposed to be coming from the back. It's a tradeoff. My comment on TPM was that it seemed to be mixed such that it was more noticable that my "surrounds" were really "rears".

Thanks for the reply.

- Dave

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Personally I find that most movies do not use the surround channels half as much as I would like. I'm not an audoi expert, so I will defer to answering the placment question, just referring to what is the most common placement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.