Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XG-1100 in my case,

Now firstly, I want to say that I have looked and looked and can seem to find no direct answer to this seemingly simple question.

Guy Kuo among other refers to it in his writeups (holy focus etc.)

and it is referred to by others as well.

All the instructions that I read for setting up the XG, indicate that

setting up the 'Phase' is one of the first things to do in order to sync

correctly to the source so that internal XG alignment patterns are displayed correctly.

However, the manual says precious little about 'Phase'

Is this 'phase' setting the one under the Adjust menu item "6) Ref Adjust" ?

If so, all I get when I choose that is a display saying "service personnel only"

'Tint' and 'color' controls are disabled too and give me the same message.

Is that where I am supposed to enter some service access code ?

If so, how do I do that ?

in a nutshell, how do I setup this phase thing ?

TIA

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
On my Marquee, phase is a setting for vertical and horizontal image positioning within the available phosphor. Using phase, I can move the image either horizontally or vertically; vertically to the point that the top of the image will come up under the bottom if I go too far.

Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The phase control is used to position the image within the raster. It lets you configure how the projector reads the sync timing signals its receiving on input. When you go "too far" and wrap the image around left to right or top to bottom, its because you have adjusted the delay between when the projector receives a sync pulse, and when it actually moves the beam to match. Or something like that. :)

Not sure if this is what the original poster asked however, as I'm not familiar with NECs.

Note that phase is different from raster shift, in that although both move the "on screen", the raster shift is moving the raster on the tube (not always a good thing, especially when the raster is really maximized on the tube) while the phase controls are moving the image within the raster (usually ok, unless the raster was run off the tube edge in attempt to really maximize usage).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Iv'e read all through both the ,users and Install manuals for NEC P/J's.

I can't find one single mention of PHASE.

You are not alone in your quest for a answer to this perplexing question.

Iv'e actually got a NEC setup remote with a PHASE button right near the up-down -left-right cursor buttons.

Do you think it is doing me any good-{NO}

Iv'e asked a few times on this forum about which or what process one should go through to get even a movement of the in built test patten once one has centered the picture signal within the raster.

No reply as yet!

Is there some progression of button pressing that you should go through to get the PHASE button to work?

Somehow,very vague here,I remember reading about having to LOCK the input signal in.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't the enter button do that once you have chosen the source signal?

·
Registered
299 Posts
To access the phase option, you have to type in the service code. 3151 I believe. Hopefully no one has changed this in your projector.

Phase (in layman's terms, i.e. describing what I see it affect vs. what may actually be happening) adjusts how the projector aligns the source image vs. the internally generated image. Every source will have a different phase requirement. This is why Guy states to do your alignment and convergence using a source rather than the internal pattern. When you adjust phase, it compensates for this difference by aligning the source and internal patterns.

Using your source (HTPC in my case) I project a grid and mechanically align the projector by taking physical measurements and centering the image on the screen. At this point I have already centered the raster, and the image within the raster. Mark the center of the screen. Switch from the external source to the internal cross-hair pattern. You will notice that the cross-hair is not centered on your screen. Bring up the phase menu. The center bar will will have a hump in it. Using the left-right adjustment, move the hump, so the peak of the hump is as close to the midpoint of the screen as possible. If you bring the cross-hair back up (internal), the pattern should now be very close to center.

I am not sure if there is an underlying benefit to this process other than the ability to now converge using the internal pattern.

Anyone care to add anything???

Pete

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
On an NEC XG, Phase does two things.

1. Aligns the internal pattern generator to match in current video signal's timing charcteristics. You achieve this by making the vertical lines of the pattern go left/right until the center vertical line is centered on the screen.

2. Aligns the convergence system timing to match the current video signal. You achieve this by moving the "blip" left/right until it is centered on the center vertical line of the test pattern.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pwentz3l
What is brown and sticky??? A Stick!!
No, a stick is what you call a boomerang that doesn't return.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I've had many non-returning boomerangs in my day...

Thus I've had to resort to the American remote control; the Pronto!

(If you didn't get the reference, you don't watch enough sappy TV shows advertising for Fosters.)

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Oi! Enough! Boomerangs are ours, not yours! :D

And nobody here drinks Fosters. The only time you even see it is on a Qantas plane. Fosters = yuck.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I never tried to suggest that Aussies actually drank that piss. Just that their advertising here in America was amusing to me the first time I saw the boomerang bit. The second time I flipped the channel. The third time I bought a ReplayTV with commerical advance, and haven't seen a commerical since then.

I'm sure some dumb yokel around here however thinks Foster's is the best thing since baked bread. (As he doesn't know about sliced bread yet!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.