AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on upgrade from paridigm mon.9.So far have casually listened to polk Lsi,PSB Image,Monitor Silver,and of course paridigm studio 60"s.Went to hear Mirage Om7 today and also heard Phase Technology 9.1.Of the speakers I've heard the 9.1 was the first to seriously challenge Paradigm reference(Iliked the Mirage too except for the imaging)But I've got two problems now-one is I know little of this company.The other is at $2000 it is a little past my budget(WAF)So I'm asking for input-is Phase tech worth another $800 over studio 60's?I don't want to start any flame wars.I'm just someone who's maybe a little over his head and would like input from those who know more.The dealer did mention they would come down"at least 10%"So,is that all I should expect for discount?And is that a good price?

·
Registered
201 Posts
lonwolf,

I purchased a pair of 9.1's about 6 months ago and I am still impressed each time I listen. Awesome soundstage and imaging, incredibly accurate detail. I compared these to B&w, Definitive Technology, M&K, and even Mcintosh. The Mcintosh's were very nice, but a little expensive. You can't go wrong with Phase Tech. I just picked up a PC3.1 to use as a center, and the front soundstage in movies is absolutely seamless. Few people relize the history Phase Tech posseses. Phase Tech is the brand name of American Speaker Systems. They have been producing speakers (drivers) for over 45 years. They hold the patents for the dome tweeter, and self damping woofer voice coil. Also the patented method of making those flat woofers (which are Kevlar coated along with the foam filled cavity. Since they produce their own drivers, they are able to control every aspect of the driver instead of moifying those from other manufacturers. They also build their own cabinets.

Of course, speaker are a subjective thing, let your ears decide (also your wallet). Last word: You get a lot of engineering and experience in a Phase Technology purchase.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.How are the 3.1 on music?I'm thinking of going with smaller PT all around with a sub.Good idea?As you might have guessed I'm new at this but I have heard a lot of speakers in the last month.The funny thing is a lot of them sound slightly better than my mon.9 when I"m listening,but not that much better.It wasn't until I heard my own system again that I realized how good the PT were.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in. I recently purchased Phase Tech. Teatro 11.5's (discontinued recently and got a GREAT deal), 6.5 (amazing center), and Bipolar surrounds. I have in the past owned PSB Image 4T's, Axiom M60's, and Pinnacle P6.3's, all great speakers, but none of them, and I mean NONE, have the soundstage and the outstanding detail and imaging (while sounding extremely sweet and smooth) that the PT have. The Axioms are detailed and image very well and are extremely accurate, but I feel the PT image better and are MUCH smoother sounding while doing so. Of course that's just my opinion, YMMV.

But, my point is the Teatro series is a GREAT buy. I'm sure it does not sound quite as good as the PC series, but if you are on a budget check them out. I got 25% of the package because the 11.5 is discontinued. I was looking for a built-in sub, (space contraints), and found the perfect speakers for me!

Good Luck in your quest!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've had the Teatro 7.1 in my living room 5.1 surround sound setup, towers and Teatro center plus in ceiling rears and sub. I have enjoyed them very much. They have amazing detail, and can handle plenty of power. Yes they not as well known, but JamesCB is right they own alot of patents. I think you will be very pleased with their sound.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'll have to hear Teatro.The salesman I had was down on them-I was there to listen to mirage and when I wasn't satisfied he steered me to the 9.1.Brought up the teatro series twice but he said I wouldn't like them based on my reaction to om7.But I liked the sound of the mirage,just not the imaging.Part of the problem with the 9.1 is the $2000 price and then the cost of upgrading all the other channels.Teatro series would solve that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Phase Tech Teatro series ARE great speakers and a great value. If you like the sound of the PC Series, the Teatro's are a good comparison. All the PC line have a very natural sound.

Lonwolf, the 3.1 is just as nice as the 9.1's. The 3.1's are 1,200.00 a pair retail. If you want to go a little cheaper, check out the 2.1 or 1.1 in the PC series. I was considering these with a good sub, but the 9.1's, with the dome midrange, gave a little more punch in the upper midrange. They also have a smaller center channel in the PC series, the 33.1.

Bottom line is, if you want to do it on a budget, the Teatro's are a good value. Many great reviews and happy customers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.