AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 4724 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/17060567

I read about some tests with fractal antennas and they didn't perform very well with TV signals. They're good for covering a wide range of frequencies in a very small space, like in cell phones. The tests indicated that you would get better results with a full-sized antenna designed for the frequency in question.- Trip

Ya, that's what I figured given that they are so useful in cell phone applications.

I found this with a quick look -

Q: What frequencies and types of FEA are presently available?

A: We specialize at present on 900MHz, PCS, and WLAN applications. In addition, our line of wideband products have unique capabilities that are available no where else and we have antennas that work over moderate and wide bandwidths. We also have successfully met customer needs from 5 MHz to 20 GHz.

http://www.fractenna.com/faq/faq.html

It's my understanding that Ch 6 = ~85 MHz

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm currently using a db-2 outdoor antenna which brings in most of the uhf-channels and have just read in an earlier post by I believe Hank v that radio shack indoor antenna is best for getting wpvi.

my question is can I use a diplexer/combiner to connect the db-2 outdoor with a recommended vhf antenna to my tv to get the vhf channels such as wpvi and whyy-dtv?

thanks for responses

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoiyoi /forum/post/17061653

i'm currently using a db-2 outdoor antenna which brings in most of the uhf-channels and have just read in an earlier post by I believe Hank v that radio shack indoor antenna is best for getting wpvi.

my question is can I use a diplexer/combiner to connect the db-2 outdoor with a recommended vhf antenna to my tv to get the vhf channels such as wpvi and whyy-dtv?

thanks for responses

I use one of these (works great): http://www.affordablehdtv.com/terres...iner-p-18.html

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 /forum/post/17061995

I use one of these (works great): http://www.affordablehdtv.com/terres...iner-p-18.html

So how's come I don't need no stinking "combiner" with my RS VU-190 XR antenna, which is both VHF and UHF?

How's that work??

And if anybody wants to mess around with a fractal TV antenna (Frank?), check it out here -

http://www.instructables.com/id/How_...DTV_DTV_plus_/

Regular old NTSC TV

SIR-TS360 receiver (also Voom OTA box (retired Voom Satellite box))

RS Model VU-190 XR antenna

Getting 14 strong stations out of the Roxborough farm and Trenton (farm is ~50 miles away @ 233°)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max /forum/post/17062258

So how's come I don't need no stinking "combiner" with my RS VU-190 XR antenna, which is both VHF and UHF?

How's that work??

A UHF/VHF antenna has short elements (and/or a loop) to receive UHF and long elements to receive VHF. The signals are properly combined by the antenna design and are in-phase because it's all the same antenna. With two separate antennas that are not co-located, without a UHF/VHF combiner (which includes high and low pass filters), you run the risk of mixing out-of-phase signals for the same channel (both VHF and UHF antennas will receive some channels in each other's band) resulting in ghosting and/or total or partial cancellation of the signal from a given channel; in our area channel 12 is especially susceptible to this. When two antennas are not co-located, one receives the signal slightly later than the other because it is farther from the tower (even by feet, it makes a difference at these wavelengths.) It's sort of like man-made multipath.

For ~$17 you can't expect sophisticated filters, but it's a nice piece of hardware that works for me - YMMV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my original post meant to stress that could i combine an existing outdoor uhf antenna with a new indoor vhf antenna

comments welcomed.

thx

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoiyoi /forum/post/17062733

my original post meant to stress that could i combine an existing outdoor uhf antenna with a new indoor vhf antenna

comments welcomed.

thx

Indoor, outdoor, doesn't make any difference - the hookup is the same. If your outdoor UHF antenna pulls in all the UHF stations you want, and your indoor VHF antenna pulls in all the VHF stations you want, then joining them with a combiner should pull in all your stations (but there is some unavoidable insertion loss in the combiner, so this may be a problem if some signals are already very weak.)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anyone have any idea of WPVI may incorporate translators into their system for Chester/Lancaster County in the future, assuming WPVI stays on ch 6?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you get paid to watch WPVI or something?

I doubt they would use translators for Chester as it is close and relatively flat and low VHF carries nicely over hills, and Lancaster is outside of their DMA.

If you really want WPVI, you ought to try something on the roof and not the attic. You said before that you did not get analog 3, 6, and 10, so it is not likely that interference is the problem now. You need to be outside and you need more height. Otherwise, we are going to have to send you to therapy for WPVI deprivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ /forum/post/17070483

Anyone have any idea of WPVI may incorporate translators into their system for Chester/Lancaster County in the future, assuming WPVI stays on ch 6?

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 /forum/post/17062430

A UHF/VHF antenna has short elements (and/or a loop) to receive UHF and long elements to receive VHF. The signals are properly combined by the antenna design and are in-phase because it's all the same antenna. With two separate antennas that are not co-located, without a UHF/VHF combiner (which includes high and low pass filters), you run the risk of mixing out-of-phase signals for the same channel (both VHF and UHF antennas will receive some channels in each other's band) resulting in ghosting and/or total or partial cancellation of the signal from a given channel; in our area channel 12 is especially susceptible to this. When two antennas are not co-located, one receives the signal slightly later than the other because it is farther from the tower (even by feet, it makes a difference at these wavelengths.) It's sort of like man-made multipath.

Thanks for that excellent and very informative answer.

Now I know.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgeiger /forum/post/17052338

RCA ANT1500 Flat Multi-Directional Indoor HDTV Antenna (ANT1500)

This antenna is simply too small to have any performance (positive gain) on VHF, especially Low-VHF. Here is an article about it:

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_c/RCA_ANT1500.html

Quote:
RCA's ANT1500 is yet another antenna design that tries to emphasize style over function. By that, I mean that the ANT1500's flat, low-profile housing may look great on your wall, but its performance on VHF channels is compromised as a result. For any TV antenna to have decent gain and approach resonance, its dipole element must be at least ½ wavelength long at the desired frequencies, even if that dipole is bent, twisted, or looped.

For Channel 6, that requires about 70 inches, and for Channel 9, you need about 32 inches. The only way to compensate for this low-gain design is to have lots of signal level from the transmitter, so the ANT1500 is probably best used at locations 10 miles or less from a high-band VHF TV transmitter where the path is line of sight.

It's one of many antennas that was better in the old DTV world that once existed for many of us (UHF only).

If rabbit ears can't get it done in the attic, then a real outdoor class VHF antenna, optimized for 6-12 (most will be 2-13), will be needed, on top of a UHF solution. A full-range combo antenna can also be considered.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofjesse /forum/post/17071778

Do you get paid to watch WPVI or something?

I doubt they would use translators for Chester as it is close and relatively flat and low VHF carries nicely over hills, and Lancaster is outside of their DMA.

If you really want WPVI, you ought to try something on the roof and not the attic. You said before that you did not get analog 3, 6, and 10, so it is not likely that interference is the problem now. You need to be outside and you need more height. Otherwise, we are going to have to send you to therapy for WPVI deprivation.

Yeah, I used to get paid $150/hr to watch WPVI....

No, I used to watch Jeopardy in HD which our local station shows only in crappy SD. A few other shows as well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Found channel 35.4 last mind. It was labeled MiNDtst or something similar which makes me wonder whether the "tst" stands for "test" as in temporary. They were airing a science program.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofjesse /forum/post/17078886

Interesting info about WYBE's transmitter changes.

http://www.mindtv.org/styles/mind/ww....php?f=9&t=255

http://www.mindtv.org/styles/mind/ww....php?f=9&t=309

From the first link.

WYBE (MiND TV) and WCAU (NBC) entered an agreement years ago to switch locations in the Digital UHF Spectrum. WCAU was to move its broadcast from the 70-something channel range to DT-34.

Channel 70-something?

(Just to avoid confusion WYBE always broadcasted on DT-34, but it was "masked" as DT-35).

To avoid confusion further WYBE-DT was on UHF 34 during the transition, but had a virtual channel of 35.x

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofjesse /forum/post/17078886

Interesting info about WYBE's transmitter changes.

http://www.mindtv.org/styles/mind/ww....php?f=9&t=255

http://www.mindtv.org/styles/mind/ww....php?f=9&t=309

If their equipment is failing in the presence of lightning strikes, that's a design/engineering deficiency. Lightning WILL happen, Domino Lane is high to start with, and the TV towers are up there where the action is, so the equipment needs to be tolerant of such things. I think the current generation of electrical engineers (the ones designing this expensive digital equipment) need to get back to basics.

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy /forum/post/17078551

Found channel 35.4 last mind. It was labeled MiNDtst or something similar which makes me wonder whether the "tst" stands for "test" as in temporary. They were airing a science program.

I just came on here to post the same thing. I switched to my Samsung box this afternoon (from the VOOM box) and the Sammie picked up 35.4 on its own. I think I have to do a rescan to get the VOOM to see it. It shows up as MiNDtst on the Sammie.

I was wondering if this was old news since I've been using the VOOM almost exclusively lately (still can't get WHYY on the Samsung), but now I see it isn't.

BTW, 35.3 is "blank" at the moment. It was the same earlier this afternoon. It has the logo at the bottom corner, but no programming.

Regular old NTSC TV

SIR-TS360 receiver (also Voom OTA box (retired Voom Satellite box))

RS Model VU-190 XR antenna

Getting 14 strong stations out of the Roxborough farm and Trenton (farm is ~50 miles away @ 233°)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Those of you unhappy with WPVI and WHYY sticking with VHF might be less happy if you were trying to get NYC stations. I did a rescan with the VOOM box and the antenna pointed to NYC this morning and I see that ch 7 (ABC) is @ RF 7, WPIX ch 11 is @ RF 11 and WNET ch 13 is @ RF 13.

I also picked up WNJB which is PBS out of New Brunswick and is on RF 8.

·
Registered
22 Posts
could someone suggest a true and tested antenna that receives wpvi and whyy reception for a center city area (fairmount) i have db-2 outdoor that gives me good reception for uhf- channels and have tried 4-5 outdoor/indoor antennas (radioshack, philips, channelmaster3010,terk dtva) none of which worked.

could someone who's tried an antenna that is able to pick up the above stations provide any leads or suggestions?

thanks

2761 - 2780 of 4724 Posts