AVS Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 4725 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Check your location with respect to Roxborough and compare to this antenna pattern (Roxborough being the dot in the center): https://rabbitears.info/pattern.php?request=ant_pat&ant_id=25076f9160e1af43016105dde217726b&rotation=0&erp=210

Chances are you're in one of those two nulls to the northeast and northwest.
That's interesting. I should be in the sweet spot NNW of Roxborough but WPPX is always sketchy. I'm getting a lock right now with 16.8 dB showing on my TV's signal meter. I usually can't hold a lock below 16. I know TV signal meters aren't known for accuracy but for the sake of comparison KYW on RF-26 is coming in at 22.0 dB and WCAU on RF-34 is 25.6 dB right now.

On the map below my house is at the blue dot near the Perkasie label.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
If it's side-mounted on the southern side of the tower, you may be looking through the tower at the antenna.

- Trip

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
Of possible interest to the Philly OTA community:

FCC Disses Philly DBS Dish Restrictions
Says they violate over-air-antenna rule
By John Eggerton - MultichannelNews - April 20, 2018

The FCC has no brotherly, or sisterly, love for a Philadelphia ordinance restricting DBS dishes.

In a victory for DBS distributors and potentially broadcasters and broadband distributors, the FCC's Media Bureau has ruled that a city ordinance violates the Over-the Air Reception Devices Rule by imposing requirements "regarding certification, notification, painting, and removal" of satellite dishes and limits their placement on facades of homes and buildings.

The Satellite Broadcasting & Communications Association had sought the FCC ruling, which applies to dishes in multi-dwelling units (MDUs) as well as single-family homes.The city had argued the ordinance was address the "uncontrolled proliferation of satellite signal reception devices on the front of homes throughout the City," which it argued hurt the appearance, safety, and property values of residents. The OTARD rule specifically prohibits, with a few exceptions, government and private (home owners associations, for example) restrictions on dishes below a certain size (and any size in Alaska) that "impair the ability of antenna users to install, maintain, or use over-the-air-reception devices."

That goes for broadcast over-the-air antennas and broadband and fixed wireless antennas, which could proliferate as the FCC opens up spectrum for creative ways to deliver competing broadband service.

Anyone affected by antenna restrictions can petition the FCC for a ruling on whether the restriction is permitted or prohibited. SBCA did, and the FCC concluded the Philly restriction was out of bounds. The city had not yet imposed the restriction, and told the FCC when it did it would comply with OTARD, but the FCC said OTARD did not require that parties postpone petitioning for relief until a restriction is enforced, or until implementing regulations are imposed.

The FCC also rejected the argument by the city, joined by Boston, Los Angeles and the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisers (NATOA) that the FCC would be interfering with local policing power. One of the carveouts from OTARD is for public safety, but the FCC said the city's claim of a safety issue did not qualify for the exception.

"The OTARD Rule is very specific regarding the circumstances under which the safety exception applies, and general statements of safety and welfare interests are not sufficient to qualify for an exception."

https://www.multichannel.com/news/fcc-disses-philly-dbs-dish-restrictions

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check your location with respect to Roxborough and compare to this antenna pattern (Roxborough being the dot in the center): https://rabbitears.info/pattern.php?request=ant_pat&ant_id=25076f9160e1af43016105dde217726b&rotation=0&erp=210

Chances are you're in one of those two nulls to the northeast and northwest.
Interesting that they would align antenna with nulls in two densely populated areas. I live NNE of Roxborough - Center of Montgomery County, a very densely populated area - it is strange to aim antennas in a direction to avoid high populated areas. what are they trying to hide? LOL.

Anyway, previously, I emailed WPPX about this issue and got an form "do not respond" and "do not expect a response" response. I called and received a "due to high volume" and "do not expect a response" message in return.

Obviously, they don't care. And, I haven't been watching much WPPX programming these days. I wonder if their advertisers realize this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Channel 10 & 62 Signal Sharing

Just noticed that channels 10 and 62 are now sharing RF 34. Both are 1080i resolution along with their 480i sub-channels. there goes picture quality! At least the bit rate for WCAU is higher than WWSI. In New York the situation is the opposite, channel 47 (WNJU) has a higher bit rate than channel 4 (WNBC) and that's NBC's flag ship station.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
WHYY 12.2 and 12.3... wrong aspect ratio

For some reason, WHYY today is broadcasting subchannels 12.2 and 12.3 as 480i 4:3 aspect ratio, even though the content on those subchannels is (and has been for some time) 480i 16:9 aspect ratio. Up until as recently as today, they always broadcast them flagged as 16:9 so everything looked fine, but now they're squished horizontally. Other 480i 16:9 channels such as 3.2 and 10.2 are proper as they always were.

I know many 3rd rate channels make this mistake, but it seems very unusual that WHYY would screw this up after doing it right for well over a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For some reason, WHYY today is broadcasting subchannels 12.2 and 12.3 as 480i 4:3 aspect ratio, even though the content on those subchannels is (and has been for some time) 480i 16:9 aspect ratio. Up until as recently as today, they always broadcast them flagged as 16:9 so everything looked fine, but now they're squished horizontally. Other 480i 16:9 channels such as 3.2 and 10.2 are proper as they always were.

I know many 3rd rate channels make this mistake, but it seems very unusual that WHYY would screw this up after doing it right for well over a year.
They are now sharing the 12 rf signal with WNCN channel 44 in Princeton. 44-1 now has 720P and 6x9. Our public tv station which we support now shares their signal with an infomercial station and the 2 sub channels of WHYY have weaker resolution. If you rescan 12 you will get 44-1 added to your stations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are now sharing the 12 rf signal with WNCN channel 44 in Princeton. 44-1 now has 720P and 6x9. Our public tv station which we support now shares their signal with an infomercial station and the 2 sub channels of WHYY have weaker resolution. If you rescan 12 you will get 44-1 added to your stations.
You mean WMCN. Both WMCN-HD and WMCN2 are now shared on RF ch 12, 44.1 & 44.2 respectively.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That may well be, but that has nothing to do with why WHYY is broadcasting 12.2 and 12.3 with the incorrect aspect ratio flag; it has been correct for a long time, but now is wrong.

The fact that they're muxing in additional digital streams from another station (thereby necessitating a reduction in bit rate/picture quality on their own streams) is unfortunate, but an orthogonal discussion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another call may help...
something about all the emaciated role-models on your Kids' edu-toons. :p
It happens when they change things, and easy for an eng in a hurry to overlook how oval the E | I badge is shaped.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Another call may help...
something about all the emaciated role-models on your Kids' edu-toons. :p
It happens when they change things, and easy for an eng in a hurry to overlook how oval the E | I badge is shaped.
Well, the top guy on that totem pole is apparently the Media Technology Manager. Station receptionist said she'd let him know, though I don't hold out much hope for that.

4161 - 4180 of 4725 Posts