AVS Forum banner

4681 - 4700 of 4725 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes, it's a coordinated switch at 9am with stations in Baltimore, Scranton and NYC, similar to last August when a bunch of the UHF stations all switched at the same time.

EDIT: They will be transitioning to an interim facility
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/draftCopy.html?displayType=html&appKey=25076ff372fc6488017301340e390242&id=25076ff372fc6488017301340e390242&goBack=N
The manufacturer of the construction permitted antenna is significantly behind schedule resulting in the antenna not being completed and installed before the phase 10 July 3rd, 2020 transition has passed.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Whyy

Any idea why they've chosen not to notify their viewers (either online or on-air) of the impending demise of RF12 and the need to rescan to continue to receive 12.1 thru 12.3?

·
Registered
769 Posts
They've had a message right below the "Tonight on WHYY-TV" box in the TV section of their website for the past month:
https://whyy.org/tv/

On air, they are required to run a series of tickers and full screen messaging at various times in the leadup, although on PBS stations they can be easy to miss if you aren't watching WHYY at that specific time that day, change the channel after your show instead of sticking around for the 5+ minutes of promos and/or pledge pitches between shows, or you aren't staring at the bottom of the screen when the ticker appears.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Great. Lost 12 completely. Get to spend more time playing with the antennas to get it back.
Can't wait. :mad:
Michael

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Great. Lost 12 completely. Get to spend more time playing with the antennas to get it back.
Can't wait. :mad:
Michael
So did you re-scan? I'm noticing here in Lower Bucks that the signal on 13 is somewhat weaker than it had been on 12, though it seems to have improved since 9AM this morning.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
So did you re-scan?
Of course. Had finally been able to get 6 and 12 at the same time, now get nothing on 12. Some time in the basement with the VHF antenna will, hopefully, solve the problem. Just need to make the time.
Michael

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
The Signal Search Map at RabbitEars should be presenting results for it now,
It will update in the morning. The Signal Search Map database updates once per day around 6 or 7AM. Since WHYY didn't move until 9AM, it won't reflect until tomorrow.

- Trip

Reactions: joblo and KyL416

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Of course. Had finally been able to get 6 and 12 at the same time, now get nothing on 12. Some time in the basement with the VHF antenna will, hopefully, solve the problem. Just need to make the time.
Michael
I've always been able to get RF12 on my 4 bay UHF antenna (the only station I needed a VHF antenna for was 6, so I've got a folded dipole tuned to that). Now on RF13 it's iffy, probably due to their interim antenna height. Once they receive and install the higher antenna, I think it will be fine; could take up to 6 months though.

When it first came up at 9AM this morning, the signal was just terrible. Now it's tolerable on most of my tuners. Could have just been atmospherics or maybe they were just cranking the power up slowly in case something blew - time will tell. Sorry your signal is totally blanked out! The basement doesn't sound like a good place for an antenna.

·
Registered
80 Posts
WHYY reception central NJ after switchover

It will update in the morning. The Signal Search Map database updates once per day around 6 or 7AM. Since WHYY didn't move until 9AM, it won't reflect until tomorrow.

- Trip
In central NJ 10 miles north of Princeton, prior to switch, reception of WHYY RF12 and WNET RF13 both strong. After switch WNET RF12 strong, no signal for WHYY on RF12, using TSReader Lite.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Where are you located? There is some semi-decent boost activity going on. I'm pulling in WNBC and WCBS right now, while WPHL and WCAU are coming in much stronger than usual.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
In central NJ 10 miles north of Princeton, prior to switch, reception of WHYY RF12 and WNET RF13 both strong. After switch WNET RF12 strong, no signal for WHYY on RF12, using TSReader Lite.
In my opinion, WHYY couldn't care less about OTA 'customers'. Their track record since digital TV started has been abysmal.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
So did you re-scan? I'm noticing here in Lower Bucks that the signal on 13 is somewhat weaker than it had been on 12, though it seems to have improved since 9AM this morning.
Rescan didn't work (thank you, Microsoft), so I had to add them manually at RF13. Coming in at 3/6, which is watchable, barely. Hope it will improve when they get to full power (when?). And that it won't mess up my reception of 6, which is still 4/6.
Michael

·
Registered
769 Posts
Rescan didn't work (thank you, Microsoft), so I had to add them manually at RF13. Coming in at 3/6, which is watchable, barely. Hope it will improve when they get to full power (when?).
Yeah, when Microsoft released the Vista TV pack back in 2008, for some dumb reason they coded it so the "Scan for More Channels" option only scans for UHF signals, even though at the time there was already VHF ATSC stations and it was already known that after 2009 nearly every market would have at least one station going back to VHF. Unfortunately they never bothered addressing this bug post-transition when Media Center was released for Windows 7 or 8, so repacked VHF stations have to be added manually.

WHYY's big problem is that the manufacturer is behind on building their antenna, so they can't even schedule a helicopter lift or a hoisting crew until they get a shipment date from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ended up getting the Winegard YA7000C installed and now get all of Channel 2 programming including MeTV, Grit TV, Heroes & Icons, Decades, RetroTV. Also with the antenna and with the Amazon Recast DVR, I get a solid enough signal on WLVT, WFMZ and WBPH.

It's somewhat nice to get these extra channels, and having a lot of over the air content is a good fallback in case streaming gets too expensive. The YouTube TV price increase is pretty startling even though I'm not a subscriber.

Why do some local channels have a -DT designation, while others have a -TV designation and others don't have any after the call letters?

Another channel from Philly history that is not receivable anymore in Philly is WGTW. It had an on air/off air/back on air history before being sold to TBN in short. Then TBN moved the station down the fringe of the South Jersey region for $80 million from the spectrum auction. With it broadcasts WMGM which used to be an NBC station. Why did Univision buy out WMGM and decide to just run Justice Network on the primary channel? Why not air UniMas? It just seems both of these channels seem underutilized, even though they cover a small area.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Why do some local channels have a -DT designation, while others have a -TV designation and others don't have any after the call letters?
It mostly goes back to AM radio. The full callsigns including the suffixes have to be unique, so TV stations that had an AM sister station usually had the original AM call letters folowed by -TV, their FM sister stations had the AM callsign followed by -FM, while stations that had no conflict had no suffix. Fast forward a few years when they started changing their TV or FM callsigns or selling off the radio stations to stay under ownership caps, some of them kept the suffix. i.e. WFIL-TV becoming WPVI-TV, while WCAU-TV opted to drop their -TV suffix after 1210 WCAU became WPHT and 98.1 WCAU-FM became WOGL. When the digital transition happened, the transitional digital signals had -DT as their suffix, after 2009 some like Univision opted to keep the -DT suffix, others reverted to the callsign their analog signal had.

Another channel from Philly history that is not receivable anymore in Philly is WGTW. It had an on air/off air/back on air history before being sold to TBN in short. Then TBN moved the station down the fringe of the South Jersey region for $80 million from the spectrum auction. With it broadcasts WMGM which used to be an NBC station. Why did Univision buy out WMGM and decide to just run Justice Network on the primary channel? Why not air UniMas? It just seems both of these channels seem underutilized, even though they cover a small area.
Because they want UniMas on WFPA to reach the core of Philly for OTA viewers, while for WMGM they can take advantage of it being a full powered license to include cable and satellite carriage of Justice Network for the market, and use WMGM's subchannels to extend Univision 65's reach to Atlantic City area OTA viewers that lost Telemundo 62 after it started spectrum sharing with WCAU. They do something similar in NYC and Boston where they have Justice as the primary channel on their 3rd station. WMGM's pre-Univision history was more complicated, they lost the NBC affiliation a few years prior to the sale, in the interim they were carrying some no name diginets like Soul of the South. WMGM's former owners now run 15.x WSJT-LD in Atlantic City on RF 10.

If TBN was able to find a host station closer to Philly for WGTW after they sold their spectrum, they would have gone with them, but WMGM was probably the only one that offered them terms they like for the agreement. I'm guessing they tried to make deals with ABC, Fox and CBS first, but either their asking price was too much or they would have only given them enough bandwidth for 1 or 2 channels. Even though their host station's OTA signal only covers the Atlantic City area and portions of exterme southeastern PA, WGTW still gets to use must carry status to get TBN on the cable systems in the Philly DMA.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It mostly goes back to AM radio. The full callsigns including the suffixes have to be unique, so TV stations that had an AM sister station usually had the original AM call letters folowed by -TV, their FM sister stations had the AM callsign followed by -FM, while stations that had no conflict had no suffix. Fast forward a few years when they started changing their TV or FM callsigns or selling off the radio stations to stay under ownership caps, some of them kept the suffix. i.e. WFIL-TV becoming WPVI-TV, while WCAU-TV opted to drop their -TV suffix after 1210 WCAU became WPHT and 98.1 WCAU-FM became WOGL. When the digital transition happened, the transitional digital signals had -DT as their suffix, after 2009 some like Univision opted to keep the -DT suffix, others reverted to the callsign their analog signal had.

Because they want UniMas on WFPA to reach the core of Philly for OTA viewers, while for WMGM they can take advantage of it being a full powered license to include cable and satellite carriage of Justice Network for the market, and use WMGM's subchannels to extend Univision 65's reach to Atlantic City area OTA viewers that lost Telemundo 62 after it started spectrum sharing with WCAU. They do something similar in NYC and Boston where they have Justice as the primary channel on their 3rd station. WMGM's pre-Univision history was more complicated, they lost the NBC affiliation a few years prior to the sale, in the interim they were carrying some no name diginets like Soul of the South. WMGM's former owners now run 15.x WSJT-LD in Atlantic City on RF 10.

If TBN was able to find a host station closer to Philly for WGTW after they sold their spectrum, they would have gone with them, but WMGM was probably the only one that offered them terms they like for the agreement. I'm guessing they tried to make deals with ABC, Fox and CBS first, but either their asking price was too much or they would have only given them enough bandwidth for 1 or 2 channels. Even though their host station's OTA signal only covers the Atlantic City area and portions of exterme southeastern PA, WGTW still gets to use must carry status to get TBN on the cable systems in the Philly DMA.
WMGM is only carried on a couple of Xfinity cable systems where it was traditionally carried, but limited only on Ch. 247 down by the shore. It doesn't seem Univision made much change. It maybe on DirecTV but Dish lineup doesn't list. Fios does carry the subchannel of WUVP's Justice Network, but Comcast/Xfinity doesn't offer Justice Network anywhere else in the Philly region outside the Shore area.

If Univision purchased the station to increase exposure for over the air viewers, more than must-carry rights, and for the shore area viewers to be able to watch Univision's signal in Atlantic-Cumberland-Cape May, why not also simulcast UniMas on it, like it does on WFTY? WFTY runs both Univision and UniMas with Justice as primary.

In NY, it's also a different with Univision owning 3 full power stations and WFUT/WFTY being considered equivalent stations, and historically, were purchased together. They both used to run HSN. Cable systems only carry one (WFUT) but not the other (WFTY), from what it appears, if correct? In the Philly area, WFPA is low powered but WFPA is pretty much carried on both Comcast and FIOS but only in standard definition feed, at least on Fios.

Does Univision and TBN have the ability to one day move WMGM/WGTW transmitter somewhat more in-land and west? Maybe not as far west as Waterford Works but somewhere where it can reach more over the air homes?

·
Registered
769 Posts
WMGM's RF 36 is now co-channel with WCBS in NYC, WTTG in DC and WITF in Harrisburg, so they can't move it any further north or west. Between NYC, Philly, Harrisburg, Salisbury, Scranton and Baltimore/DC the band is now packed solid, so there's no alternative channel they could use that would allow them to move.

4681 - 4700 of 4725 Posts