AVS Forum banner

5081 - 5100 of 5133 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
It seems WPPX swapped some of their subchannels around. But I just lost the signal anyone know what they are?
I wouldn't know because I'm not in the area, but if I had to guess, it would probably have to do with the Scripps deal. I get WHPX from Hartford, which hasn't made any changes yet, but I still suspect that we may see something similar there soon.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
It looks like Laff has appeared on the ION station in all the markets where it currently appears on an ABC O&O station. (That's New York, Philly, Raleigh, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. I assume Houston is included, but cannot yet confirm.) My guess is the ABC deal is ending soon.

- Trip

Reactions: unclehonkey

·
Registered
26 Posts
It looks like Laff has appeared on the ION station in all the markets where it currently appears on an ABC O&O station. (That's New York, Philly, Raleigh, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. I assume Houston is included, but cannot yet confirm.) My guess is the ABC deal is ending soon.

- Trip
Does that mean the other Katz networks will be joining ION? And QVC and ion Shop will be leaving?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does that mean the other Katz networks will be joining ION? And QVC and ion Shop will be leaving?
That'll probably depend on the contracts with other station owners. The ABC stations look like they're willing to drop Laff on the spot, but Univision (which carries the Katz networks in a number of big markets) still has a few years left on their contract - up to 2024, to be precise. So unless they have a way to nullify the contract, I'd say those subchannels are staying put for now. That doesn't cover all markets, obviously, but it's still a big number.

As the contracts do dry up, don't expect the shopping subchannels to stick around. We've already seen the beginnings of the change.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
the shopping channels will be gone. It was in the purchase agreement

Section 5.9 HSN and QVC Agreements. With respect to those certain programming/affiliation
agreements with HSN and QVC (the “HSN and QVC Agreements”), Seller will cause termination
notices with respect to the Stations to be given on or before the Closing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
In Philly Univision only has the rights to Bounce. As for the status of the rest:
CourtTV is with WPHL/Nexstar as a result of the previous deal Katz made to launch the network on Tribune stations. The announcement for that deal didn't mention how long it was for.

Mystery and Grit are with WDPN, their deal for those networks was first signed when they were still owned by PCMC, the station has since been sold to WFMZ's owners Marantha. The original deal with PCMC was listed as expiring on 7/1/19, which has since been renewed with Marantha long before Scripps planned to purchase Ion. So it might be another few years before their affiliations become available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In Philly Univision only has the rights to Bounce. As for the status of the rest:
CourtTV is with WPHL/Nexstar as a result of the previous deal Katz made to launch the network on Tribune stations. The announcement for that deal didn't mention how long it was for.

Mystery and Grit are with WDPN, their deal for those networks was first signed when they were still owned by PCMC, the station has since been sold to WFMZ's owners Marantha. The original deal with PCMC was listed as expiring on 7/1/19, which has since been renewed with Marantha long before Scripps planned to purchase Ion. So it might be another few years before their affiliations become available.
Wow! To all who responded. Thanks for the Info!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I noticed today channel 29.3 TheGrio switched from color bars to a looping 25 second ad saying they will premiere Friday January 15th.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed today channel 29.3 TheGrio switched from color bars to a looping 25 second ad saying they will premiere Friday January 15th.
Yeah, a couple of days ago they started running that ad. Why they couldn't leave Light TV until then boggles my mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry for asking a really stupid question. UHF 27 Boyertown transmitter seems to be up longer than the last time. Does anyone know if it's licensed yet or any time it will be. On rabbit ears, it says CP (Construction Permit). I can seem to figure out the FCC website to get this info. Does anyone know if they are licensed yet or when they will be?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Its status will be updated after WFMZ files a license to cover for the translator with the FCC to indicate that the work is done and its broadcasting on a regular basis. When they file for it, it will show up in the "Application History" on this page in the FCC's LMS:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/publicFacilityDetails.html?facilityId=39884

Once that happens, the translator's status will change to pending, and then at some point its status will change to licensed after the FCC processes and grants the license to cover. RabbitEars automatically imports most of those details from the FCC's database on a daily basis, so after WFMZ makes their filings, it should be updated by the next morning.

As for the content of the translator, the best way to provide all the needed technical details is by using a PC capable ATSC tuner like the HDHomeRun or a Hauppauge tuner and exporting the details for RF 27 with TSReader Lite. Going by what you see on your TV isn't always good enough because not all TVs handle the presence of duplicate major-minor numbers the same or provide an easy way to tell you what's coming from RF 9 and RF 2 vs what's coming from RF 27, and many TVs don't provide key technical details like the TSID, PIDs, bitrates or video dimensions.
i.e. for duplicate major-minor numbers some TVs will only display one, others will display both, while others might assign the duplicates fake virtual numbers that don't match what's actually on the signal. And to make things even more confusing, some tuners retain the previous PSIP labels and won't update them without a fresh rescan, while some smart TVs don't show the PSIP labels at all and display the labels used by their 3rd party guide data provider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its status will be updated after WFMZ files a license to cover for the translator with the FCC to indicate that the work is done and its broadcasting on a regular basis. When they file for it, it will show up in the "Application History" on this page in the FCC's LMS:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/publicFacilityDetails.html?facilityId=39884

Once that happens, the translator's status will change to pending, and then at some point its status will change to licensed after the FCC processes and grants the license to cover. RabbitEars automatically imports most of those details from the FCC's database on a daily basis, so after WFMZ makes their filings, it should be updated by the next morning.

As for the content of the translator, the best way to provide all the needed technical details is by using a PC capable ATSC tuner like the HDHomeRun or a Hauppauge tuner and exporting the details for RF 27 with TSReader Lite. Going by what you see on your TV isn't always good enough because not all TVs handle the presence of duplicate major-minor numbers the same or provide an easy way to tell you what's coming from RF 9 and RF 2 vs what's coming from RF 27, and many TVs don't provide key technical details like the TSID, PIDs, bitrates or video dimensions.
i.e. for duplicate major-minor numbers some TVs will only display one, others will display both, while others might assign the duplicates fake virtual numbers that don't match what's actually on the signal. And to make things even more confusing, some tuners retain the previous PSIP labels and won't update them without a fresh rescan, while some smart TVs don't show the PSIP labels at all and display the labels used by their 3rd party guide data provider.
Thank you! Yeah I have a HDHomerun so I will see if I can set it up to give data to rabbit ears.info. I used the HDHomerun Technical app and figured out that is was UHF 27. That's why I wanted to see if anyone knew it was licensed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeah, the HDHomerun's software is one of those that hides duplicates after a scan, so a TSReader output of the translator is best for that. Like here on a night of decent boost conditions a few weeks ago I was able to pickup their RF 24 translator from Allentown, but post-scan it hid the RF 24 entries in favor of the RF 2 and RF 9 entries.

TSReader Lite is pretty easy to use with a HDHomeRun, after you install and launch it, select HDHomeRun as the device and enter RF 27, let it run for about a minute, and then select HTML Export from the menu and fill in all the checkboxes except for thumbnails and EIT. A more detailed explanation is in the "How to Submit Updates and What to Submit" section of his FAQ:
https://www.rabbitears.info/static.php?name=faq#submit

BTW, if anyone seeing this post is in the Reading area and in range of W24CS-D's RF 24 signal, hopefully one of you can do the same to see if it's like the Allentown UHF translator where it only carries WFMZ's channels and some of WDPN's channels, or if it carries all of the WBPH/WPPT/WLVT/WFMZ channels that RF 9 has.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, the HDHomerun's software is one of those that hides duplicates after a scan, so a TSReader output of the translator is best for that. Like here on a night of decent boost conditions a few weeks ago I was able to pickup their RF 24 translator from Allentown, but post-scan it hid the RF 24 entries in favor of the RF 2 and RF 9 entries.

TSReader Lite is pretty easy to use with a HDHomeRun, after you install and launch it, select HDHomeRun as the device and enter RF 27, let it run for about a minute, and then select HTML Export from the menu and fill in all the checkboxes except for thumbnails and EIT. A more detailed explanation is in the "How to Submit Updates and What to Submit" section of his FAQ:
https://www.rabbitears.info/static.php?name=faq#submit

BTW, if anyone seeing this post is in the Reading area and in range of W24CS-D's RF 24 signal, hopefully one of you can do the same to see if it's like the Allentown UHF translator where it only carries WFMZ's channels and some of WDPN's channels, or if it carries all of the WBPH/WPPT/WLVT/WFMZ channels that RF 9 has.
The RF24 translator in Reading carries the WFMZ channels and 3 of the WDPN channels. It does not carry the other channels on RF9. I live in Oley which is between the Reading Mount Penn translator and the Boyertown new location. It’s unfortunate that they chose RF 27 since WMAR in Baltimore is on that frequency and comes in very strong in the summer, potentially cancelling out both signals.

5081 - 5100 of 5133 Posts