AVS Forum banner

5101 - 5120 of 5133 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
They didn't really have much of a choice in selecting RF numbers, their original plan was to use RF 21 for Boyertown, but then WNEP was reassigned RF 21 because of land mobile interference, so they had to squeeze something in on RF 27 with a directional pattern to protect WMAR and WPSJ-CD.

For Allentown, WFMZ lucked out on RF 24 because WYLN's Stroudsburg repeater W24BB was sold to a spectrum speculator OTA Broadcasting, who surrendered their remaining licenses after the auction, freeing up space for a RF 24 translator in the Lehigh Valley.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Did WPVI increase power recently? My ANT751 isn't ideal for VHF so I always had trouble with those channels but WPVI has been pretty good for the past few days. WTXF is still sketchy so I don't think it's due to favorable weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No change in WPVI's power, that application is still pending. It's likely the snow/ice cover in the higher elevations enhancing the signal when it hits the hills and mountains.

On an unrelated note for those in the Atlantic City area, WMGM-LP surrendered their license today. WMGM-LP used to be WMGM's downtown Atlantic City repeater on Analog 7.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Right on schedule, CBS is crapping out during the playoff game.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
4.2 is just the infomercial channel that was previously on 4.6. More shopping/infomercial channels will be going away when WPPX drops Ion Shop and HSN for the Katz networks.

WACP is one of the stations that uses free must carry status to get on cable and satellite, so they aren't getting any revenue from retrans consent payments like the Big 6 stations. With infomercials and shopping channels they get their check in the mail even if no one watches, those advertisers are likely paying extra for the stumble upon effect because of that placement between CBS3 and 6ABC.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
That's weird were are you at? In Berks really strong signal.
20mi line-of-sight SW from the Roxborough towers on the highest ground in DE.
7-8' boom antenna in the 3rd story attic.
30yr of absolutely flawless reception down the drain as a result of this repack.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
KYW has been coming in just fine 70+ miles away in the Poconos. In a previous reply you mentioned you had cell towers nearby, so you might want to look into getting a 600 MHz LTE filter like this one to see if it improves things, especially since you are using a 30+ year old antenna with UHF elements that were designed during the era when UHF 70-83 was still a thing, so you could be getting interference from cell signals in the 600 MHz, 700 MHz and 800 MHz bands:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QDWP43V/

Also, another thing that others who had problems found was that some of their UHF elements got bent or loose over the years, just one misaligned element can be enough to cause phasing issues on certain channels if that element happens to be the one cut for that RF range.

Another possibility is that your large antenna is pulling in too strong of a signal after the recent increase and it's overpowering your tuner. If you have any amps in your system, try removing them to see if your signal quality gets better, or you might have to rotate your antenna to something slightly off instead of directly pointed at Roxborough.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You must have high signal strength and low RF noise because it’s practically unheard of for those sorts of antennas to pick up the low VHF channels. That said, I’m close to 60 miles away and I often get 6ABC on an outdoor 36” high VHF element.
I concur. Ages ago in 2011 I tried two flat antennas, a variety of indoor rabbit ears and even a bowtie with my over the air TiVo Premiere. Signals came and went randomly. I was using the TiVo's snazzy user interface and built in streaming apps to soften the blow of cord trimming to my wife. She would complain loudly when Survivor and Sunday Morning on CBS would drop out. I ended up with an AntennaCraft (RIP) 5881 uhf/vhf antenna. 90 to 95 percent of the time it did the job on the major everything except CBS 3 and WHYY 12. I was always annoyed with NJTV 23.1 being a now show. I blame the picky tuner on the TiVo.

Reactions: antwaves

·
Registered
32 Posts
I concur. Ages ago in 2011 I tried two flat antennas, a variety of indoor rabbit ears and even a bowtie with my over the air TiVo Premiere. Signals came and went randomly. I was using the TiVo's snazzy user interface and built in streaming apps to soften the blow of cord trimming to my wife. She would complain loudly when Survivor and Sunday Morning on CBS would drop out. I ended up with an AntennaCraft (RIP) 5881 uhf/vhf antenna. 90 to 95 percent of the time it did the job on the major everything except CBS 3 and WHYY 12. I was always annoyed with NJTV 23.1 being a now show. I blame the picky tuner on the TiVo.
Tuners can be weird like that sometimes. I have two TVs, a basic 2011/12 Samsung TV as well as a much newer Roku TV, and it's amazing to see the differences yet also frustrating. The Samsung does a stellar job on VHF and often can pull in WPVI perfectly when the Roku TV struggles, but it's the opposite on UHF: the Roku TV does an excellent job and can receive KYW and WCAU nearly 24/7 even when the antenna is pointed 165 degrees in the other direction, but the Samsung often struggles. I'm not sure what you use now but I hear the tuners in the HDHomeRuns are excellent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tuners can be weird like that sometimes. I have two TVs, a basic 2011/12 Samsung TV as well as a much newer Roku TV, and it's amazing to see the differences yet also frustrating. The Samsung does a stellar job on VHF and often can pull in WPVI perfectly when the Roku TV struggles, but it's the opposite on UHF: the Roku TV does an excellent job and can receive KYW and WCAU nearly 24/7 even when the antenna is pointed 165 degrees in the other direction, but the Samsung often struggles. I'm not sure what you use now but I hear the tuners in the HDHomeRuns are excellent.
Yes I have the HDHOMERUN they are superb I have one of those rabbit ear style antenna I bought for 10$ until I upgrade. I am 30-40mi from the towers with 2 ridges between me. I used to only get CBS, NBC, WFMZ. Now I get CBS, NBC, FOX, PHL17, WFMZ. The only hold out Is ABC but I need a better antenna for them. Currently I have the HDHOMERUN Quattro.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also, another thing that others who had problems found was that some of their UHF elements got bent or loose over the years, just one misaligned element can be enough to cause phasing issues on certain channels if that element happens to be the one cut for that RF range.
Can you describe what phasing issues would look like? I've beaten my antennas up over the last 20 years and have been wondering if I should get new ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am looking to upgrade my antenna to receive some more stations. I have been comparing the CM-5016 and the HD8200U. Does anyone have any thoughts. Also, there should be an attached Rabbit Ears report. Also, I would like to get WFPA-CD though it is BAD in my signal report. RabbitEars.Info

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Of course, part of the reason one posts here is that one doesn't want to spend a small fee for advice. ;)

As poor as your signal levels are, I'd lean toward the 8200 myself. You'll likely want to have it on a rotor as well if you intend to look at stations that are at locations besides Roxborough.

- Trip

Reactions: joblo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of course, part of the reason one posts here is that one doesn't want to spend a small fee for advice. ;)

As poor as your signal levels are, I'd lean toward the 8200 myself. You'll likely want to have it on a rotor as well if you intend to look at stations that are at locations besides Roxborough.

- Trip
Yes, I wouldn't want to spend the fee as I already know what antenna he recommended but that was a little out of my price range.

5101 - 5120 of 5133 Posts