AVS Forum banner

5121 - 5133 of 5133 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't want to spend the fee as I already know what antenna he recommended but that was a little out of my price range.
Understand about the price range. I live only 16 miles east of WFPA and it is marginal for me. I cannot get it when my antenna is pointed to RF9. Every other channel in Roxborough comes in OK with the antenna pointed at RF9 including WPVI 6. To get RF9 last year, just had to cough up the bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Understand about the price range. I live only 16 miles east of WFPA and it is marginal for me. I cannot get it when my antenna is pointed to RF9. Every other channel in Roxborough comes in OK with the antenna pointed at RF9 including WPVI 6. To get RF9 last year, just had to cough up the bucks.
Dang it I wish Locast would add Quest. I really like the channel it's just not on a full powered station. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't want to spend the fee as I already know what antenna he recommended but that was a little out of my price range.
Thanks to who brought up my name and recommendation service. MapGuy11, I can tell you the CM5016 is likely too small for your location. While the Winegard 8200U is great in terms of gain I do not recommend it. There's a known issue with the 75ohm cartridge on the antenna. It fills with water and can fail. I had one guy tell me he replaced it three times over the course of five years. While the issue is still hit or miss for some people it definitely needs to be fixed.

If price weren't a consideration I'd recommend the CM5018 or CM5020. If you're on a budget you can try the less-known RCA ANT3037XR. It's very cheap at about $80 with low VHF capability. From my tests it's comparable to a CM5018 but the build quality isn't as good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks to who brought up my name and recommendation service. MapGuy11, I can tell you the CM5016 is likely too small for your location. While the Winegard 8200U is great in terms of gain I do not recommend it. There's a known issue with the 75ohm cartridge on the antenna. It fills with water and can fail. I had one guy tell me he replaced it three times over the course of five years. While the issue is still hit or miss for some people it definitely needs to be fixed.

If price weren't a consideration I'd recommend the CM5018 or CM5020. If you're on a budget you can try the less-known RCA ANT3037XR. It's very cheap at about $80 with low VHF capability. From my tests it's comparable to a CM5018 but the build quality isn't as good.
Yes, I remember you giving me the suggestion of the CM-5020. I want to thank you for all the work I hope to make a small donation soon. I think I may try the RCA as the antenna will most likely be in the attic. So build quality won't be the upmost requirement. And I am a little strapped for cash at the moment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
. While the Winegard 8200U is great in terms of gain I do not recommend it. There's a known issue with the 75ohm cartridge on the antenna. It fills with water and can fail. I had one guy tell me he replaced it three times over the course of five years. While the issue is still hit or miss for some people it definitely needs to be fixed.
That is the antenna I installed before the cartridge problem was known to me. So far I have been lucky but it's only a matter of time. The connections between the antenna bus wires and the cartridges pc card are snap-ons which is a guaranteed fail point over time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I remember you giving me the suggestion of the CM-5020. I want to thank you for all the work I hope to make a small donation soon. I think I may try the RCA as the antenna will most likely be in the attic. So build quality won't be the upmost requirement. And I am a little strapped for cash at the moment.
If you are a little ambitious and plan to put an antenna in your attic, maybe you could construct an antenna yourself. Recently, I built a two element yagi (folded dipole and reflector) for wpvi, ch6. It works reasonable well (I am in the Lehigh Valley, wrong side of South mtn - 38.5 miles from transmitter). I am now getting ch6 reliably and even ch2 marginally - never even had a lock on either of them prior to the ch6 antenna build. BTW, I also have several HDhomerun OTA devices and they work well with the custom antenna design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are a little ambitious and plan to put an antenna in your attic, maybe you could construct an antenna yourself. Recently, I built a two element yagi (folded dipole and reflector) for wpvi, ch6. It works reasonable well (I am in the Lehigh Valley, wrong side of South mtn - 38.5 miles from transmitter). I am now getting ch6 reliably and even ch2 marginally - never even had a lock on either of them prior to the ch6 antenna build. BTW, I also have several HDhomerun OTA devices and they work well with the custom antenna design.
I was planning on making DIY, Its just very complicated with all the different frequencies. Also the HDHOMERUN is soo good it's brought in signals that I didn't even think were possible to bring in

·
Registered
4 Posts
mon jan 18th I was wondering if anyone else is having sound dropouts on wpvi 6 today, i usually have slight trouble, but today its really "hiccupping". its not the strength of the signal, as its very strong. i know its probably some sort of vh-low interference, and I already have a filter to help with the cell towers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
mon jan 18th I was wondering if anyone else is having sound dropouts on wpvi 6 today, i usually have slight trouble, but today its really "hiccupping". its not the strength of the signal, as its very strong. i know its probably some sort of vh-low interference, and I already have a filter to help with the cell towers. Any suggestions?
I always get a very brief hiccup when the boiler kicks on but nothing more than that tonight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Right after 7 it completely cut out for me. I just checked and it's back now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right after 7 it completely cut out for me. I just checked and it's back now.
After i posted, i think i (partially) figured it out. i moved the electric plug for the antenna slightly, it still happens on one tv as i have too strong a Ch 6 signal. The channel still came in (blipping) even with the ant unplugged.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
For those of you in the Berks and Schuylkill county areas who have been having problems with WCAU because of WNEP's Pottsville translator that's also on RF 28, WNEP filed to move their translator to RF 29.

5121 - 5133 of 5133 Posts