AVS Forum banner

5181 - 5200 of 5247 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WFPA-CD is on RF 35, RF 36 is WMGM/WGTW.

They haven't filed anything to go silent or move their channels to other signals (which would also require them to change their major number because having a virtual 28 hosted by full market Philly signals would have significant overlap with WBRE in Wilkes-Barre and WCPB in Salisbury)

Depending on where you are, it could be getting wiped out by WNJU/WNBC from NYC or WGAL's translator from Lancaster if the conditions are right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm guessing conditions. I am picking up WCBS on RF36 rather strong when I swing my antenna that way. I was wrong on my previous post, I had been getting WFPA on RF35. I'm getting nothing there now. Maybe WNBC and WFPA are clobbering each other.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think this is a crazy night. I'm also picking up WABC full strength. When I turn my antenna south I get WSJT (RF10) at 98% which I usually get at a 50%. My location is RabbitEars.Info
Wow! You have so many co-channel TV signals within 75 miles from you, so any sort of tropospheric enhancement can cause some dropouts of your locals. Just wait until the height of tropo season in the summer, THEN you'll see some faraway signals mixed in with local wreckage. Unfortunately, the repack packed in TV signals so tight, that many more viewers are experiencing what you did last night. The FCC seemed to only consider deadband (typical) conditions when planning all this out.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In the case of WFPA, they've had co-channel issues in NJ since July 2001 when WNBC first signed on their original DTV signal from the North Tower. First on RF 28 when it was still WXTV-LP, and now on RF 35 where they're co-channel with WNBC's host station WNJU. Further south, WCPB out of Salisbury was also co-channel with it from the time it moved to RF 28 until the repack.

Part of the issue is that WFPA began as a Philly translator for WXTV, so it didn't qualify for any interference protection until they converted it to a Class A station in August 2001, after WNBC's digital signal was already assigned RF 28. In 2009, WFPA filed for a displacement to RF 3 at 0.3 kW because of WNBC, WCPB and WFPT, which thankfully they withdrew in 2013 in favor of flashcutting, because it would have left them worse off as a Class A in the VHF-lo band where the most they could have done was increase its power to 3 kW.

Its final analog coverage area on RF 28 was also very small, so they had to add a null towards NYC in order to expand its coverage area when they flashcut to digital in 2015. Its original coverage area in the 1980s on RF 35 was slightly larger, but they had to give that up in 1990 when WYBE was assigned the RF 35 allocation for Philadelphia that stood dormant ever since WHYY surrendered the license to WUHY-TV in 1975.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow! You have so many co-channel TV signals within 75 miles from you, so any sort of tropospheric enhancement can cause some dropouts of your locals. Just wait until the height of tropo season in the summer, THEN you'll see some faraway signals mixed in with local wreckage. Unfortunately, the repack packed in TV signals so tight, that many more viewers are experiencing what you did last night. The FCC seemed to only consider deadband (typical) conditions when planning all this out.
Lost all Philly stations last evening (around 11 pm) except 17/65 and even picked up channel 12 which I usually have a hard time receiving at my location. Also picked up other stations that I usually don't get and some NY station (WCBS and WNBC). This morning, even though the fog was thick as soup, all the stations were back to normal signal strength.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lost all Philly stations last evening (around 11 pm) except 17/65 and even picked up channel 12 which I usually have a hard time receiving at my location. Also picked up other stations that I usually don't get and some NY station (WCBS and WNBC). This morning, even though the fog was thick as soup, all the stations were back to normal signal strength.
The same thing happened again last nigh as the night before. Yesterday and today (daytime) things are back to normal.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They're not the ones dragging their feet, they can't do anything until the tower's engineering firm gives them a final design for their antenna mount. Right now they have until July to finish the work before they have to file another tolling and STA request that would provide more updates.

Although with the new Scripps ownership, who doesn't have a dispute with American Tower like Ion did, I wonder if they'll just give up on the tower move and try to get back on their previous tower that's shared with WCAU, WDPN, WPHA-CD, WFPA-CD, and a bunch of FM and LPTV stations.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Speaking off topic - low power FM stations - there's a cool one, WZML on 92.9 FM that is broadcasting from near Valley Forge park. Eclectic playlist and worth a listen. They're also on TuneIn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They're not the ones dragging their feet, they can't do anything until the tower's engineering firm gives them a final design for their antenna mount. Right now they have until July to finish the work before they have to file another tolling and STA request that would provide more updates.

Although with the new Scripps ownership, who doesn't have a dispute with American Tower like Ion did, I wonder if they'll just give up on the tower move and try to get back on their previous tower that's shared with WCAU, WDPN, WPHA-CD, WFPA-CD, and a bunch of FM and LPTV stations.
Makes a ton of sense thank you!

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
It's presumably who wrote the check.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
5181 - 5200 of 5247 Posts