AVS Forum banner

5201 - 5220 of 5247 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Plus it gets ThisTV their cable placement back in several major markets like NYC, LA, Philly and Houston that they lost in September 2019 when the ex-Tribune stations replaced them with CourtTV since at quick check in some of those cities not a single cable provider carries the current This affiliate.

It also improves their OTA coverage in cities like NYC where right now they are on an eastern LI based signal that doesn't reach NYC or New Jersey, Chicago where they are on a LPTV signal, the Bay Area where they're on a station spectrum sharing on a 15 kW Class A signal, while Raleigh and Fresno don't have any affiliates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
THIS TV is now on WPVI 6-3 and I just noticed QVC is on 6-4. So far WDPN 2-7 still has THIS here in the Philly market.My eyes may be fooling me but I think the 6-3 picture is slightly better.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They're both using statmuxes so the bitrates widely vary, but WPVI 6.3 likely benefits from the content on Localish, QVC and ABC's Daytime not being rapid motion, compared to WDPN where several channels like Grit, H&I and Retro frequently have action scenes with rapid motion.

QVC will likely be leaving WPPX this summer to make room for the new diginets from Scripps Defy TV and Doozy that will feature programming from A&E's networks (A&E, History, FYI, Lifetime)

·
Registered
57 Posts
They're both using statmuxes so the bitrates widely vary, but WPVI 6.3 likely benefits from the content on Localish, QVC and ABC's Daytime not being rapid motion, compared to WDPN where several channels like Grit, H&I and Retro frequently have action scenes with rapid motion.

QVC will likely be leaving WPPX this summer to make room for the new diginets from Scripps Defy TV and Doozy that will feature programming from A&E's networks (A&E, History, FYI, Lifetime)
Dang, WPPX is going to be that low bitrate with 10 different channels. Though WPPX has one of the lowest signals for people on the far edge of the DMA. Sad :(. I also wonder what will happen when all these channels also located on WDPN and WPHL. Also if ATSC 3 would ever come to Philadelphia what station do you think it would be?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WDPN's and Univision's contracts for the Katz networks doesn't expire until 2024. I couldn't find a date for WPHL and CourtTV, but considering how recent it was signed prior to the sale, it's probably on the tail end of the 5 year migration that Scripps mentioned. They likely want to retain both until the next time Scripps's retrans deals are up for renewal so they can include more cable carriage of Ion's subchannels. Right now the cable carriage of the Katz networks is tied to the previous affiliates, which is why FiOS, Service Electric, RCN, Xfinity and Blue Ridge's Philly and NYC DMA systems replaced Laff with ThisTV on Thursday.

The 95% coverage requirements for ATSC 1.0 simulcasts of all existing subchannels rules out any of the Lehigh Valley or NJ based full power stations like WBPH/WFMZ/WLVT/WPPT, WACP, WMGM/WGTW or WNJS/WNJT, and you can rule out WPPX, WDPN, WCAU/WWSI, or WPHL/WUVP being hosts because it would be hard to find new ATSC 1.0 homes for all of those subchannels. CBS already declined to participate at all in several markets like Baltimore and Denver, so that likely rules out KYW or WPSG, and they want to push mobile reception on future devices with built in antennas, which likely rules out the remaining VHF stations. So my guess would be WFPA-CD or one of the other Class A or LPTV signals functioning as an ATSC 3.0 host.

Another thing to note for Jersey Shore viewers, Edge Spectrum owns W48DP-D in Atlantic city, who has a construction permit to move to RF 24 as W24ET-D, and in the CP extension filings they recently made for their other stations, they indicated that they plan to convert many of their LPTV signals to ATSC 3.0. (LPTV signals are exempt from the ATSC 1.0 simulcast requirements, so they don't need to find simulcast partners)

·
Registered
57 Posts
WDPN's and Univision's contracts for the Katz networks doesn't expire until 2024. I couldn't find a date for WPHL and CourtTV, but considering how recent it was signed prior to the sale, it's probably on the tail end of the 5 year migration that Scripps mentioned. They likely want to retain both until the next time Scripps's retrans deals are up for renewal so they can include more cable carriage of Ion's subchannels. Right now the cable carriage of the Katz networks is tied to the previous affiliates, which is why FiOS, Service Electric, RCN, Xfinity and Blue Ridge's Philly and NYC DMA systems replaced Laff with ThisTV on Thursday.

The 95% coverage requirements for ATSC 1.0 simulcasts of all existing subchannels rules out any of the Lehigh Valley or NJ based full power stations like WBPH/WFMZ/WLVT/WPPT, WACP or WNJS/WNJT, and you can rule out WPPX, WDPN, WCAU/WWSI, or WPHL/WUVP being hosts because it would be hard to find new ATSC 1.0 homes for all of those subchannels. CBS already declined to participate at all in several markets like Baltimore and Denver, so that likely rules out KYW or WPSG, and they want to push mobile reception on future devices with built in antennas, which likely rules out the remaining VHF stations. So my guess would be WFPA-CD or one of the other Class A or LPTV signals functioning as an ATSC 3.0 host.

Another thing to note for Jersey Shore viewers, Edge Spectrum owns W48DP-D in Atlantic city, who has a construction permit to move to RF 24 as W24ET-D, and in the CP extension filings they recently made for their other stations, they indicated that they plan to convert many of their LPTV signals to ATSC 3.0. (LPTV signals are exempt from the ATSC 1.0 simulcast requirements, so they don't need to find simulcast partners)
Wow! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm, I've been interested in ditching my cable package and just going OTA as I mostly watch Laff, Buzzr, Cozi, etc anyway. This thread opened my eyes to the fact that these OTA stations are just as messy as fragmented streaming services. Creating your own in-home media streaming setup and "acquiring" things yourself has never been such a clear choice. What a joke this whole thing has become.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Cozi is owned by NBCU, so you don't have to worry about it leaving WCAU. Buzzr is safe for the forseeable future since it's a partnership with the Fox O&O stations. Laff is staying put at their new home on WPPX's signal as Ion is now owned by Laff's parent company Scripps.

If all you care about is the subchannel networks, you're likely better off with OTA, that way when the rest of those Katz contracts and any others end a few years from now, you don't have to worry about waiting for your cable company's retrans deals with their new affiliate's parent companies to come up for renewal before they return.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm, I've been interested in ditching my cable package and just going OTA as I mostly watch Laff, Buzzr, Cozi, etc anyway. This thread opened my eyes to the fact that these OTA stations are just as messy as fragmented streaming services. Creating your own in-home media streaming setup and "acquiring" things yourself has never been such a clear choice. What a joke this whole thing has become.
If you watch LAFF it's actually better they are off of WPVI because they are now on UHF then Lo-VHF which sucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
While surfing channels trying to catch up to date with all my channel changes, I ran across a fairly good signal with no modulation but tagged as WQAV-CD. Virtual channel 34 coming fairly strong from the direction of AC on RF26. After the tag on my TV dropped off I get the NO SIGNAL error. Q100 Sig 96

·
Registered
43 Posts
Right now WQAV-CD comes from the same tower that has WACP in Waterford Works, but they have a construction permit to move to Roxborough on the same tower that has WPSJ and a bunch of FM stations like B101, BEN-FM, XPN, XTU and MGK.
Interesting because RF24 has a bunch of shopping channels from the direction of Roxborough. WPHA-2 has had bars on their video and regular infomercial audio for at least a week now. I guess they don't pay attention.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting because RF24 has a bunch of shopping channels from the direction of Roxborough. WPHA-2 has had bars on their video and regular infomercial audio for at least a week now. I guess they don't pay attention.
Nah, WPHA-CD is such a waste of a frequency.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was lurking around rabbit ears.info. While I was look at WBPH (vhf 9 allentown stuff). They have a bunch of Applications and other just weird things. I see I think some are for their translators but they have some for the main signal with different heights and power levels. Also they have grouped all of their other translators under WFMZ-AB. These are UHF 27, UHF 24, and soon to be VHF 7. All of them with only WFMZ and 2 of WDPN's subchannels.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The RF 24 (and RF 27 in Boyertown) translators are owned by Marantha so they only carry WFMZ's and some of WDPN's channels, they don't have any of WBPH's, WLVT's or WPPT's channels. They just have 2-1 MeTV HD, 2-4 H&I, 2-6 Decades, 69-1 WFMZ HD and 69.2 Weather.

If approved, WBPH's RF 9 DTS repeaters will have everything that's on the main RF 9 signal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The RF 24 (and RF 27 in Boyertown) translators are owned by Marantha so they only carry WFMZ's and some of WDPN's channels, they don't have any of WBPH's, WLVT's or WPPT's channels. They just have 2-1 MeTV HD, 2-4 H&I, 2-6 Decades, 69-1 WFMZ HD and 69.2 Weather.

If approved, WBPH's RF 9 DTS repeaters will have everything that's on the main RF 9 signal.
Ah makes sense. I normally like to watch Marantha translators because the bitrate is higher on WFMZ and makes a notable difference in quality. It's really cool how they are trying to boost their signals to serve portions of 4 different TV Markets. (Scranton, Philadelphia, New York, and very little of Harrisburg/York). While providing at least in Berks one of the best newscasts there are!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, WFMZ, WBPH and WLVT are in a unique area that straddles the border of multiple DMAs, but unfortunately with the way the rules are currently written they have no way of getting satellite carriage outside of the Philly DMA, and out of market cable carriage is subject to syndex blackouts outside of their grade B contour, but they still frequently have reporters cover the news in Monroe, Carbon, Luzerne, Schuylkill, Hunterdon and Warren counties.

5201 - 5220 of 5247 Posts