AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 18556 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
MJ,

I saw this right above the specs (about three graphs up from them actually), I am not sure if that answers your questions.

"Increasing the input to 40 watts into this nominal 8-ohm load"

On the "Philharmonic 3" page.

James

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/20727739

Any truth DM will be offering the Kardashian option for those who prefer a larger bottom end?
That would be the Philharmonic 3. Not only is the bottom end larger, it goes deeper and remains tight. Once you try transmission line, you'll never go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20728924

I did not see the Ohm rating for their speakers. Are they 8 ohm? If less than 8 ohm, then the sensitivity is even lower.

Like many broad generalizations this kind of statement is often false. Why speculate when full data is available (for 2 models) at the website?

Philharmonic 1

Philharmonic 3

Be sure to scroll down and read it all. From the frequency vs. impedance curves (labled Complex Impedance), both speakers have about 4 ohm impedance, but they don't dip much lower. If you are not used to looking at these types of curves (most speakers makers don't publish them), they show very little swing in impedance phase degree. And wide variations in impedance phase is what usually makes speakers difficult loads for amplifiers.

These speakers are probably not difficult to drive, but I have heard them only with the amp used at the audio show, so I won't speculate. The predicted bass output for the Phil 1 is 102-103 dB at 30 watts, and about 105 dB at 40 watts for the Phil 3.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow
That would be the Philharmonic 3. Not only is the bottom end larger, it goes deeper and remains tight. Once you try transmission line, you'll never go back.
Are we still talking about speakers

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/20751774

Gives you an idea about how much Revelator woofers cost w\\ the price diff between the 2's and 3's.

Nice drivers though.

Hi The price difference also reflects the more expensive made-to-order cabinets for the 3. Jim doesn't make these--a local cabinet shop does. But Jim wil do custom cabinets to his usual standards for a premium. I'll post that price when Jim gives me a firm estimate.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Yeah, I figured the cabs played a part in the price but the lionshare was due to the woofers.

Dennis, I gotta tell you that these speakers have piqued my interest.

I currently have 3 sealed HT-2s but have been thinking about 3-ways for the last 18 months or so.

I use multi-subwoofers in my system and the thought of 3 of the Philharmonic 2s at that price-point is intriguing.

I like Scan-Speak drivers but I'm thinking that their advantage over the SBs would be minimal given that I would most likely be crossing over to the subs at 80hz.

With the HT-2s, I xover at 100hz.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/20752559

Yeah, I figured the cabs played a part in the price but the lionshare was due to the woofers.

Dennis, I gotta tell you that these speakers have piqued my interest.

I currently have 3 sealed HT-2s but have been thinking about 3-ways for the last 18 months or so.

I use multi-subwoofers in my system and the thought of 3 of the Philharmonic 2s at that price-point is intriguing.

I like Scan-Speak drivers but I'm thinking that their advantage over the SBs would be minimal given that I would most likely be crossing over to the subs at 80hz.

With the HT-2s, I xover at 100hz.

Well, the Scan woof is expensive--around $300 a pop. It's well worth it without a sub, but pretty much a waste if they won't be used full range. The Phil2 makes more sense as a high quality HT speaker, the Phil 3 as a stand-alone music producer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey Dennis, Glad to see interest in the threads about the newly created Phillys, well deserved. I was SOLD after hearing them at your home and then at CAF..... made me real excited, the style/finish, the SOUND, the BOLD detailed sound, the RAAL....AHHHHH, and the incredibly low reasonal price.... that one cannot pass up.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Hopefully you will be hearing from me sooner than I originally thought.

R

Oh, yeah I am still enjoying my CAOW1s as well

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart /forum/post/20833000

Hey Dennis, Glad to see interest in the threads about the newly created Phillys, well deserved. I was SOLD after hearing them at your home and then at CAF..... made me real excited, the style/finish, the SOUND, the BOLD detailed sound, the RAAL....AHHHHH, and the incredibly low reasonal price.... that one cannot pass up.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Hopefully you will be hearing from me sooner than I originally thought.

R

Oh, yeah I am still enjoying my CAOW1s as well

Hi Nice to hear from you again. Several orders for the Phil 3 (with the Scan revelator woofer) are being finished up now, and I hope to have a dedicated owners' forum up when there are actually some owners out there. The 1's and 2's, which use the outsourced cabinets, should be ready to roll by October.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Congratulations on the Philharmonic 3s, they are the best!

Glad to hear of the forum, I feel sure it will be a real hit for the owners, the wantabe owners and the curious!

Have you got the 'extra' employees ready for October, think you are going to need them.

Best of luck, talk to you soon,

Robert

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just to let everyone know I just pulled the plug on my set of Philharmonic IIs with the RAAL tweet and eventually the center.

Should be ready in October borrowing no shipping problems. And giving the distance, I will be able to pick them up when they are ready.

Excited,

Robert

·
Registered
11,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart /forum/post/20852471

Just to let everyone know I just pulled the plug on my set of Philharmonic IIs with the RAAL tweet and eventually the center.

Should be ready in October borrowing no shipping problems. And giving the distance, I will be able to pick them up when they are ready.

Excited,

Robert

Woohoo - that's great news, Robert. I am very excited for you. Which veneer did you choose?

·
Registered
804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/20852619

Robert,

Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to seeing how you like them. What center channel will you be getting since I do not see one on their page.

James

Hey James, and thanks, I have been looking forward to a set for a long time, well it seems very long for me as one has to ponder carefully of dropping 2K on something that is not digestible in this economy.

The center channel, I think will be 2 5" woofers, I think the (2) Seas Excel ER15RLY or something similar with a Fountek ribbon tweet. Dennis will correct me if I am wrong. I have the CAOW1s (see pic), and am very pleased with the sound and design.

Anyway, I trust Dennis completely as he is the designer and said that this version will work just fine. The RAAL and structure would be over the top in production and cost.

I am mainly interested in the IIs alone as I will listen to 2 channel in there.

I will definitely report back with pics too

Robert

·
Registered
804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/20852698

Woohoo - that's great news, Robert. I am very excited for you. Which veneer did you choose?

Brandon, Brandon.....how are you, long time no hear!!!!

You know me satin black, satin black, satin black!!!!

Has to match all of our furniture, blends in better that way as you may well know these thing are huge, did I say huge 21" deep, 11.5" wide and 41.5" high and I don't know how much they weigh. Glad they are in two pieces!!

I am excited that I finally made a decision. I flip flopped forever (as you may well know), but now I did it....unfortunately I have to wait some more, oh well good things comes to those who wait.

Dennis may have to hire someone to help him as I think there is no way he can keep up when his new Forum is up and running. His cabinet maker is already running behind and with the outsourced cabinets on their way, man they will all be sold out before they get here. Wish I lived closer I would enjoy speaker building.

I have become a tube head as well. He He!!! So I think these Phillys will be fantastic with one of those.

So how is the family and the baby?

Robert

21 - 40 of 18556 Posts