AVS Forum banner

6601 - 6620 of 10813 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Interesting thanks. When compression kicks in, does the meter just stop showing an increase in db or does the db increase linearly with adjustments to the AVR up to a point and then start to taper and grow more slowly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to get anymore off topic, but it won't hit a brick wall, the measured spl will stop increasing as as fast as the master volume when compression kicks in. Here's a link with a picture of sweeps on omni mic.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-...-omnimic-precision-measurement-system-72.html

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well, we're off to a rocky start on the BMR road trip. They were all dressed up with someplace to go today, but Fed Ex never showed up. So that means the first stop won't be until Tuesday rather than Saturday.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The Road Trip BMR's are packed up and waiting for Fed Ex. A note to all recipients. As they leave the Wehawken Rd Studios, these BMR's are B stock, but there are no serious problems. There is a small nick on the bottom side of one of the cabinets that probably won't be visible when the speaker is on a stand. The baffles have a very small chip or scratch next to the tweeter routing on one and the midrange routing on the other. So please let me know if you see any other issues when you get them. Also, I've included 12 demo CD's. Feel free to keep one, but please don't take the last one. Thanks, Dennis
Whoop!
Patiently waiting.
Whomever is in Pearland, let me know when you get them so I can plan on picking them up when you’re done.

I’ll drive em home, listen for the allotted time and drive them to Cedar Park for the trek forward.

Chris

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
What's the plan on how long to keep them on each stop? I'm figuring a few days to a week seems reasonable? I just ordered these stands from Amazon, they look like they should be sturdy enough to hold them for testing purposes, I needed a new pair anyway, my old speaker stands had tiny mounting plates on top.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What's the plan on how long to keep them on each stop? I'm figuring a few days to a week seems reasonable? I just ordered these stands from Amazon, they look like they should be sturdy enough to hold them for testing purposes, I needed a new pair anyway, my old speaker stands had tiny mounting plates on top.
Assuming they arrive when you're available for listening, it really shouldn't take more than 2-3 days. Week-long stays are discouraged.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Assuming they arrive when you're available for listening, it really shouldn't take more than 2-3 days. Week-long stays are discouraged.
Gotcha, I wasn’t sure what the expectations were, I didn’t want to bogart the speakers.

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Those stands are too tall for the BMR. The recommended speaker stand height for BMR is 18" to 24".

These Monoprice Monolith 24" stands would be perfect. They also come in 28" and 32" versions which come with bigger mounting plate than the 24".
Hmm, I’ve already ordered so I suppose I’ll just have to see how they work. From my measurements it should put the tweeters at about the same height as those on my current speakers, and hopefully I can push them back enough that it works. If not I can probably jerry-rig something.

Edit: Nevermind, I re-measured and 34" would have brought the tweeters a good bit above my current speakers. Thankfully they hadn't shipped yet so I was able to cancel the order. The Monprice stands look interesting, but at $50 each + shipping I found this Gearlux stand instead, great reviews, has a nice big plate on top with padding to hold the speaker so it doesn't slip, and it adjusts down to 26", so that should bring them to the right height.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hmm, I’ve already ordered so I suppose I’ll just have to see how they work. From my measurements it should put the tweeters at about the same height as those on my current speakers, and hopefully I can push them back enough that it works. If not I can probably jerry-rig something.

Edit: Nevermind, I re-measured and 34" would have brought the tweeters a good bit above my current speakers. Thankfully they hadn't shipped yet so I was able to cancel the order. The Monprice stands look interesting, but at $50 each + shipping I found this Gearlux stand instead, great reviews, has a nice big plate on top with padding to hold the speaker so it doesn't slip, and it adjusts down to 26", so that should bring them to the right height.
Im glad I could help.

One more small piece of advice. I'd stay away from those single poled, skinny necked stands. They are not very stable. There is audible difference when using inferior wobbly stands. Trust me, I went thru a lot of speaker stands and kept only the good ones.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Those stands are too tall for the BMR. The recommended speaker stand height for BMR is 18" to 24".

These Monoprice Monolith 24" stands would be perfect. They also come in 28" and 32" versions which come with bigger mounting plate than the 24".
That all depends on how high up the listeners ears are at the MLP. My ears are about 50" from the ground when seated and I'm only 5'6". With 24" stands that would put the tweeters about 7-9 inches below my ears. I'm pretty sensitive to height cues so if the speakers are too low then it sounds like I'm on a balcony listening to a street performance.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I have my current speakers on these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PIXN7E

I will probably use them again for the BMR, but I will need to measure my new seated height when the new furniture gets here. I know Dennis has probably posted this before, but it's hard to search for: how many inches from the bottom of the BMR to the middle of the RAAL? That would be useful to know.

Ideally, I'd love to find something more...like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M0KBA4

It won't hold the weight, though.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That all depends on how high up the listeners ears are at the MLP. My ears are about 50" from the ground when seated and I'm only 5'6". With 24" stands that would put the tweeters about 7-9 inches below my ears. I'm pretty sensitive to height cues so if the speakers are too low then it sounds like I'm on a balcony listening to a street performance.
I would think that is too low - the RAAL has very limited vertical dispersion. But it will depend on your seated distance.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I have Sierra-2s in my living room, and they are fantastic. That said, I have not run compression sweeps, but I feel like they can't keep up with my FV15HP and are out of headroom at about MV 0 on my AVR. I am going to run over 9Kw worth of subs in each corner in the basement, so I feel like I need some more headroom.

(I have Roger Water the Wall in Atmos, and that disc is just fantastic in Atmos with the Sierra-2s and the Rythmik).
The highest i've gone is -5 on my marantz and that was LOUD I couldn't listen at that volume for a whole movie. The Sierra 2's and BMR's have a similar sensitivity, have you tried psa or jtr yet that might be a better choice?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts

I just picked up those Monoprice 24 inch stands they are heavy & high quality.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have my current speakers on these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PIXN7E

I will probably use them again for the BMR, but I will need to measure my new seated height when the new furniture gets here. I know Dennis has probably posted this before, but it's hard to search for: how many inches from the bottom of the BMR to the middle of the RAAL? That would be useful to know.

Ideally, I'd love to find something more...like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M0KBA4

It won't hold the weight, though.
That would be 16.5"

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I would think that is too low - the RAAL has very limited vertical dispersion. But it will depend on your seated distance.
Agreed, that why I replied that using a blanket statement of "those stands are too tall for the BMR" is not always true. Stand height should be based on ear height at the MLP not on some random suggestion of what works for some or most people.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The highest i've gone is -5 on my marantz and that was LOUD I couldn't listen at that volume for a whole movie. The Sierra 2's and BMR's have a similar sensitivity, have you tried psa or jtr yet that might be a better choice?
JTR 210 RT and DIYSG Titans are the current short list. But I also really like the RAAL tweeter in the Sierra-2s and was toying with the idea of a lower output system. I think on the majority of occasions I'd be really happy with BMRs or maybe Ascend Towers with Sierra-2s/Lunas for surrounds, but I also know that every once in a while I want to be able to burn the house down so to speak.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That would be 16.5"
Well, looks like the 22" stands are going to be too short. They work with the current recliners, but I'll need to raise the stands by about 4" once the new sectional arrives with its higher seats.

Here's the 26" version of what I have:

Sanus SF26B1 Black (Pr.) 26-inch Speaker Stands https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T7VCM0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JpElBb4GA2DZP

Or, I could use a 4" riser under the speakers. That may be better if I can find the right material.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bravely purchased Dennis's BMR's 13 months ago, sight unseen. They were a direct replacement for a pair of 15 year old Sonus Faber Concertos. I purchased the Concertos because I needed small satellites to go with my subwoofer. I liked the deep bass from the sub, and the look of the small mains. On the Concertos: I loved the smooth detailed midrange, the physical appearance, and they played nice at high volume. Could listen all day with no fatigue. 2013: new house with larger listening room, so I upgraded to a couple larger subs and larger amps; as you old timers remember, subs and amps are very capable and affordable compared to the 1990's decade. As time went on I grew to hate the Concertos's high end roll-off, the price I paid for the fatigue free listening. Also, I got a clue that bass would sound better by using mains that went lower than the Concertos. More total cone area for bass, and more source locations of bass to smooth out room modes. Note, for me, spending $5,000 on a couple of outstanding subwoofers was not on the agenda.

Ok, now about the BMR's. They solved my high end roll off issue, the main reason for my upgrading. Now I have beautful high end and still fatigue free listening. I was surprised and pleased by the quality of the BMR's bass. Has been mentioned so many times here that subwoofers are not required with BMR's, which is true enough. But not if one is a fan of deep bass. I love the improved overall bass sound of the BMR-subwoofer pair combination, verses same subs with my Concertos that had no bass extension.

The biggest problem with buying BMR's was having to purchase sight unseen. Bottom line is now I am thankful Dennis did not have traveling BMR's last year; I would have gotten on the list. What a wasted effort that would have been, plus delaying my purchase!

6601 - 6620 of 10813 Posts