AVS Forum banner

6621 - 6640 of 10390 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I would think that is too low - the RAAL has very limited vertical dispersion. But it will depend on your seated distance.
Just a technical note. The RAAL's vertical dispersion isn't really "very limited." It just isn't quite as broad as a typical 1" dome. At a normal distance, you can stand up and sit down without hearing the top end roll off. The real issue is the phase integration with the mid. If you're not very far back and stand up, the relative distance of the tweeter and midrange will change, which changes the arrival time of the two drivers to your ear, which changes the phase. This will be true for most speakers. The result is a suck out at the crossover frequency. This isn't likely to be an issue for small distances up or down. I usually have them on 24" stands, which places my ear a little below the design axis (tweeter center). 22" would be better in theory, but I certainly haven't been motivated to invest in any more stands.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just a technical note. The RAAL's vertical dispersion isn't really "very limited." It just isn't quite as broad as a typical 1" dome. At a normal distance, you can stand up and sit down without hearing the top end roll off. The real issue is the phase integration with the mid. If you're not very far back and stand up, the relative distance of the tweeter and midrange will change, which changes the arrival time of the two drivers to your ear, which changes the phase. This will be true for most speakers. The result is a suck out at the crossover frequency. This isn't likely to be an issue for small distances up or down. I usually have them on 24" stands, which places my ear a little below the design axis (tweeter center). 22" would be better in theory, but I certainly haven't been motivated to invest in any more stands.
Dennis, what is the minimum recommended listening distance from BMR to avoid manifestation of said phase integration issue? My MLP is 10 ft away from speakers.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dennis, what is the minimum recommended listening distance from BMR to avoid manifestation of said phase integration issue? My MLP is 10 ft away from speakers.
10 feet should be fine. And even closer there's no issue sitting--it's just that you might detect a little change in balance when you stand up.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/20752559

Yeah, I figured the cabs played a part in the price but the lionshare was due to the woofers.

Dennis, I gotta tell you that these speakers have piqued my interest.

I currently have 3 sealed HT-2s but have been thinking about 3-ways for the last 18 months or so.

I use multi-subwoofers in my system and the thought of 3 of the Philharmonic 2s at that price-point is intriguing.

I like Scan-Speak drivers but I'm thinking that their advantage over the SBs would be minimal given that I would most likely be crossing over to the subs at 80hz.

With the HT-2s, I xover at 100hz.

Well, the Scan woof is expensive--around $300 a pop. It's well worth it without a sub, but pretty much a waste if they won't be used full range. The Phil2 makes more sense as a high quality HT speaker, the Phil 3 as a stand-alone music producer.
I'm in central Houston and understand that the BMR's will make it to Manvel and Pearland when they get to Texas but don't know who they are going to in those locations in the area. How can I get in the "loop" to demo them before they leave the Houston area? Perhaps Dennis or one of those recipients can PM me. Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a pair of kef Q100 and a Q200c center channel, 2 Nht superzero for surrounds, a pair of PSA V1801 subwoofers and AVR Yamaha RX-A3070.

i'm happy with this combo for 80% HT, 20% music, the soundstage, clarity and detail of the keffs are very good to my hears, but I would like to try something better, a step up in quality. According to what I have read I imagine that the phillarmonitor are superior to the Q100 to listen to music in 2.0 or 2.1 (or .2 in my case) but I would like to know how much difference there would be in terms of HT. I don't go up more than -5 in the MV but I don't know if my AVR can handle the phillarmonitor well. Another thing that worries me is the center channel, there are some phillarmonitor CC in the lineup?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have a pair of kef Q100 and a Q200c center channel, 2 Nht superzero for surrounds, a pair of PSA V1801 subwoofers and AVR Yamaha RX-A3070.

i'm happy with this combo for 80% HT, 20% music, the soundstage, clarity and detail of the keffs are very good to my hears, but I would like to try something better, a step up in quality. According to what I have read I imagine that the phillarmonitor are superior to the Q100 to listen to music in 2.0 or 2.1 (or .2 in my case) but I would like to know how much difference there would be in terms of HT. I don't go up more than -5 in the MV but I don't know if my AVR can handle the phillarmonitor well. Another thing that worries me is the center channel, there are some phillarmonitor CC in the lineup?
I take it the BMR's are too big for your installation? They aren't that much more expensive than the Philharmonitors, and I think the improvement in sound, particularly sound staging (and obviously bass reach) is worth it. On the other hand, the Q100's are pretty good, and I don't know how much difference you would hear for HT use. The BMR's definitely throw a larger stage and have more extended highs, but the importance of sound staging in HT is kind of up in the air when you have a center running. Most of my HT clients use my MTM center channel. The ribbon isn't a RAAL, but it's very close and produces very high clarity on dialogue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Whomever is in Pearland, let me know when you get them so I can plan on picking them up when you’re done.
That would be me. (Mailing address is Manvel, but Pearland ISD.)

I should be after whoever is in League City, and again, I'd be happy to come by and pick them up from League City. My wife works at JSC so if I can pick them up around lunchtime I can surprise her for lunch, too. Win-win.

Reactions: ad5wb

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm in central Houston and understand that the BMR's will make it to Manvel and Pearland when they get to Texas but don't know who they are going to in those locations in the area. How can I get in the "loop" to demo them before they leave the Houston area? Perhaps Dennis or one of those recipients can PM me. Thanks.
So, I believe they're going to someone in League City, then to me in Pearland, then @laserjock II will be picking them up, taking his turn, and delivering them to their next stop.

I work in the city (at Rice) so seems like we should be able to work it out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So, I believe they're going to someone in League City, then to me in Pearland, then @laserjock II will be picking them up, taking his turn, and delivering them to their next stop.

Laserjock II told me by PM a couple days ago that he was going to take them to Port Lavaca and then they'd go to Cedar Park over by Austin, so maybe I should get them from you and then transfer them to Laserdock II since he's going to leave Houston with them. I'm in the Hieghts so getting them from you in the city would be quite easy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Laserjock II told me by PM a couple days ago that he was going to take them to Port Lavaca and then they'd go to Cedar Park over by Austin, so maybe I should get them from you and then transfer them to Laserdock II since he's going to leave Houston with them.
Works for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts

I take it the BMR's are too big for your installation? They aren't that much more expensive than the Philharmonitors, and I think the improvement in sound, particularly sound staging (and obviously bass reach) is worth it. On the other hand, the Q100's are pretty good, and I don't know how much difference you would hear for HT use. The BMR's definitely throw a larger stage and have more extended highs, but the importance of sound staging in HT is kind of up in the air when you have a center running. Most of my HT clients use my MTM center channel. The ribbon isn't a RAAL, but it's very close and produces very high clarity on dialogue.
HI Dennis,

Thanks for the quick response, I can accommodate the BMRs and the MTM center channel, do you think my AVR can drive those speakers? It is a Yamaha Aventage 3070

·
Registered
40 Posts

SunByrne,
When I contacted Dennis, concerning the BMR road trip, he stated they were already booked to someone in my area and that I could go by and pick them up when that person had completed their review. He said he would give me the contact information when they got closer to my location. I am located in Manvel. Anxiously waiting to hear these speakers. I've been on the fence, upgrading to these, but I've never heard a ribbon tweeter.

Regards,
BVK_HOUTX

·
Registered
274 Posts
SunByrne,
When I contacted Dennis, concerning the BMR road trip, he stated they were already booked to someone in my area and that I could go by and pick them up when that person had completed their review. He said he would give me the contact information when they got closer to my location. I am located in Manvel.
OK. I'm not sure how @dbissett factors in to this, but I'm sure we can all work something out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dennis, please provide us pictures of the new rectangular speaker cabinet for the BMR that you will be using in a few months. It seems like in the interim we have a temporary wider cabinet choice: the .75 cf curved Parts Express cabinet in satin cherry veneer or shiny black, or with just a short wait, the BMR in only the shiny black rectangular cabinet.

I am especially curious about the edges of the front baffle of the rectangular cabinets. Are the edges finished as radius, chamfer or right-angle?

If I want my BMRs to be capable of bi-amping/ bi-wiring, will you do that with the PE cabinets? Will you do that with the rectangular cabinets?

Are you also going to change the Mini Philharmonitor and the New Philharmonitor from their present curved PE cabinets in satin cherry veneer or shiny black, to only shiny black rectangular cabinets?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dennis, please provide us pictures of the new rectangular speaker cabinet for the BMR that you will be using in a few months. It seems like in the interim we have a temporary wider cabinet choice: the .75 cf curved Parts Express cabinet in satin cherry veneer or shiny black, or with just a short wait, the BMR in only the shiny black rectangular cabinet.

I am especially curious about the edges of the front baffle of the rectangular cabinets. Are the edges finished as radius, chamfer or right-angle?

If I want my BMRs to be capable of bi-amping/ bi-wiring, will you do that with the PE cabinets? Will you do that with the rectangular cabinets?

Are you also going to change the Mini Philharmonitor and the New Philharmonitor from their present curved PE cabinets in satin cherry veneer or shiny black, to only shiny black rectangular cabinets?
Hi The only new-style cabinet I have here is red-stained cherry with a high-gloss finish. We originally were going to go with that veneer and color and had a test cabinet made. When it arrived, it was beautiful, but we decided it probably wouldn't fit in with enough decors to do an entire run with it, so we switched to piano black. The front baffle is identical to the Parts Express baffle. It has round over, not a chamfer. (It's amazing how few companies use round over or chamfer anymore.) Well--not quite identical. The magnets for the grills will be buried and invisible/ It's pretty easy to modify the PE cabinets for bi-wiring, but the new ones will come with pre-assembled crossovers from Bennic, and those boards have a common ground. PE still has inventory for the smaller curved cabinets. They're in the final stages of securing a new source for the curved cabinets, so hopefully by Fall they'll have new stock and I would be able to offer the original curved cherry in addition to the rectangular piano black.

6621 - 6640 of 10390 Posts