AVS Forum banner

6641 - 6660 of 10533 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
To those on the tour,

Pull out your best sounding recordings of female vocalists. This is where the RAAL shines over every other speaker that I've ever heard. (I can't say that I've heard many expensive speakers though.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, Dennis. My take-away from the cabinet discussions is that if I want BMRs with bi-amp/bi-wire capability in the prefab cherry finish cabinet I need to order before the present PE stock is gone.
Many thanks go to R. Swerdlow for his BMR review (post # 6568, pg 219). I was hopelessly on the fence. His comparisons with Salk Veracity STs and description of the critical midrange performance really helped me. Thanks also to Gyroscopics for the Monoprice Monolith stand recommendation (post # 6607).

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Thanks, Dennis. My take-away from the cabinet discussions is that if I want BMRs with bi-amp/bi-wire capability in the prefab cherry finish cabinet I need to order before the present PE stock is gone.
Many thanks go to R. Swerdlow for his BMR review (post # 6568, pg 219). I was hopelessly on the fence. His comparisons with Salk Veracity STs and description of the critical midrange performance really helped me. Thanks also to Gyroscopics for the Monoprice Monolith stand recommendation (post # 6607).
PE ordered 50 pieces of the cherry and 50 of the black. The issue is whether some other (small) speaker company will put in a larger order. I've pre-ordered enough to get me through the current backlog.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
PE ordered 50 pieces of the cherry and 50 of the black. The issue is whether some other (small) speaker company will put in a larger order. I've pre-ordered enough to get me through the current backlog.
I mean this strictly in the observational sense; it's quite interesting to see how your designs evolve based on parts and labor availability, as well as slight changes due to you tinkering with the design and crossover (offset tweeters/not, cabinet changes, routing the front baffles, etc.). Makes me wonder how much is a headache vs how much is enjoyable for you

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
The Phil-BMR-appolossa has begun. Will look forward to hearing thoughts...

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
All this talk of the correct speaker stand, reminded me of this old Rodriguez Stereo Review Cartoon:
Totally off-topic, but the running joke back then was that he misspelled the word "bass"... :)

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Years (decades?) ago there was a rush to build "big" (though mostly small by today's larger models) speakers with big (12", 15") drivers that were all too often "all boom, no bass".

Rest assured Dennis does not do that. :)

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd like to know what the dimensions are of the top plate. I don't see them listed anywhere.
5-7/8" x 7-3/8" top plate.

24-1/4" high with rubber feet.

All metal, sand fillable, but no wire management feature. Top plate has 4 pre-drilled holes for matching screw mounted speakers.

In my opinion, these STAV 24 S2 stands are better value than the monoprice stands, especially if you can find them open box (mine was open box in mint condition with all parts in the box).

The alignment, fit and finish of the STAV4 is perfect. The top plates of my monoprice stands are not aligned with the base, as if the manufacturer anticipated I was gonna toe in my speakers. Too bad the toe angles are not symmetrical :frown: Unlike the STAV24, the monoprice stands don't come with adjustable rubber feet. I improvised by putting rubber anti-skid pads underneath the spikes, protecting my hardwood floors, while keeping the stands adjustable for stability.

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
5-7/8" x 7-3/8" top plate.

24-1/4" high with rubber feet.

All metal, sand fillable, but no wire management feature. Top plate has 4 pre-drilled holes for matching screw mounted speakers.

In my opinion, these STAV 24 S2 stands are better value than the monoprice stands, especially if you can find them open box (mine was open box in mint condition with all parts in the box).

The alignment, fit and finish of the STAV4 is perfect. The top plates of my monoprice stands are not aligned with the base, as if the manufacturer anticipated I was gonna toe in my speakers. Too bad the toe angles are not symmetrical :frown: Unlike the STAV24, the monoprice stands don't come with adjustable rubber feet. I improvised by putting rubber anti-skid pads underneath the spikes, protecting my hardwood floors, while keeping the stands adjustable for stability.
They do look good to me. I suppose that is a large enough plate to give the Phil BMR a decent footing? They are 8"W by 14"D. Quite a bit of overhang.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past 223 pages, but I need some help choosing a receiver / amp for the BMR Philharmonitors. I intend to run just the BMRs for a while, then add 2 subs later on. Eventually, it'll be a 5.2.2 setup w/ Atmos.

Are there good 4K HDR receivers that will power these speakers outright, or would you always recommend a separate amp for these? I'm looking to spend less $1k for receiver and amp combined.

If you can point me to a previous set of pages with this discussion, that works too. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Are there good 4K HDR receivers that will power these speakers outright, or would you always recommend a separate amp for these? I'm looking to spend less $1k for receiver and amp combined.
Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V685 ($550)

Amp:
Crown XLS 1502 ($400)
Emotiva A-300 ($400)
Emotiva PA-1 ($300x2 -> $600)
Parasound A23 ($650-800 used on eBay)

I'm not sure you'd hear a real difference between using just the receiver and adding amps to the front end, but if you like to crank it, there you go. Given the lower sensitivity of the BMRs, it's unlikely you would hear any hiss from the Crown amp unless you sit really close

·
Registered
24 Posts
Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V685 ($550)

Amp:
Crown XLS 1502 ($400)
Emotiva A-300 ($400)
Emotiva PA-1 ($300x2 -> $600)
Parasound A23 ($650-800 used on eBay)

I'm not sure you'd hear a real difference between using just the receiver and adding amps to the front end, but if you like to crank it, there you go. Given the lower sensitivity of the BMRs, it's unlikely you would hear any hiss from the Crown amp unless you sit really close

Hadn't considered that Yamaha before. How does YPAO work compared to Audyssey XT32? Also, looks like it doesn't have discreet sub outs. Will that be a concern for room correction?

As for amping, l'll look into those. I'd like to see if I can get away with just the receiver for a while, so let's see.

6641 - 6660 of 10533 Posts