AVS Forum banner

6661 - 6680 of 10368 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hadn't considered that Yamaha before. How does YPAO work compared to Audyssey XT32? Also, looks like it doesn't have discreet sub outs. Will that be a concern for room correction?

As for amping, l'll look into those. I'd like to see if I can get away with just the receiver for a while, so let's see.
Directionality is supposed to be minimized

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Reactions: Xgatt

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I think what he's getting at is: some AVRs, especially the ones that have XT32 + Sub EQ, have two sub outputs. This makes it very easy to get your subs time aligned: the system will measure and adjust the distances (phase) for you. It will also set the levels individually for the best response as each sub will affect different parts of the curve in different ways.

I'm not an expert, and I do use this system plus some manual tweaking, but I've heard of people using a miniDSP unit in place of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really liking the Yamaha TSR-7810 so far vs the RX-V685. More output power, 7.1 preouts, a better multipoint implementation of YPAO RSC, and pretty much all of the features that I'll need to use. Anyone else have experience pairing this one with the BMR?

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Really liking the Yamaha TSR-7810 so far vs the RX-V685. More output power, 7.1 preouts, a better multipoint implementation of YPAO RSC, and pretty much all of the features that I'll need to use. Anyone else have experience pairing this one with the BMR?
Here's a good review of the Denon 3300, it's the model before the 3400 available now and a comparable Yamaha
is also compared. If you can wait about a month to 6 weeks you'll see the 3400 on sale every where for $599 or lower and the step up 4400 for $799. Both the 34-4400s have Audy XT32 SUB EQ and 7.1 and 9.1 preouts respectively. If I'm not mistaken the Yamahas don't EQ below 30Hz.......Both Denon models tested well on the bench and should be more than adequate pairing up with the BMRs, you'll have the option as well to add an external amp. The 3400 has 7 amp channels the 4400 9 with the option to expand to 11, hope this helps.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a good review of the Denon 3300, it's the model before the 3400 available now and a comparable Yamaha
is also compared. If you can wait about a month to 6 weeks you'll see the 3400 on sale every where for $599 or lower and the step up 4400 for $799. Both the 34-4400s have Audy XT32 SUB EQ and 7.1 and 9.1 preouts respectively. If I'm not mistaken the Yamahas don't EQ below 30Hz.......Both Denon models tested well on the bench and should be more than adequate pairing up with the BMRs, you'll have the option as well to add an external amp. The 3400 has 7 amp channels the 4400 9 with the option to expand to 11, hope this helps.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1
Yeah the 3300w is definitely something I have considered and was in fact my first choice. I don't really care for heos in my apartment, so it has pretty much everything I need.

The only thing that has confused me is all the talk about Marantz or the Burr Brown DACs on Yamahas being more musical.

Any idea how this compares to the Yamaha in a listening test?

·
The Village Idiot
9,534 Posts
I tried to find the route the BMR's are taking across the country. Couldn't find it. Is there any chance they would be coming somewhere close to Washington State? I'd love to hear them, and put them up against the Song Towers to see if I need new speakers!:eek:

And I need another hole in my head...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried to find the route the BMR's are taking across the country. Couldn't find it. Is there any chance they would be coming somewhere close to Washington State? I'd love to hear them, and put them up against the Song Towers to see if I need new speakers!:eek:

And I need another hole in my head...
You can try emailing Dennis to see where they are now.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You can try emailing Dennis to see where they are now.
The BMR's have just started their cross-country tour. They're traveling counter clockwise, and will hit the following cities (they've already made a stop in Vinton, VA):

Charlotte NC (arriving today, the 29th), Atlanta, Fort Myers Fla, Greater Houston Texas area, Cedar Park Texas, Las Vegas, San Diego, Greater Los Angeles area, Cincinnati, Ohio, Allegon Mich, Troy, NY, Greater NYC area

We'll see how where we are once they've made it to LA. If things are progressing fairly quickly, I may try and get them further North in CA and perhaps up to the Northwest.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
The BMR's have just started their cross-country tour. They're traveling counter clockwise, and will hit the following cities (they've already made a stop in Vinton, VA):

Charlotte NC (arriving today, the 29th), Atlanta, Fort Myers Fla, Greater Houston Texas area, Cedar Park Texas, Las Vegas, San Diego, Greater Los Angeles area, Cincinnati, Ohio, Allegon Mich, Troy, NY, Greater NYC area

We'll see how where we are once they've made it to LA. If things are progressing fairly quickly, I may try and get them further North in CA and perhaps up to the Northwest.
actually, i believe that is clockwise , unless my clock goes the wrong direction...:)....just wanted to keep some from getting confused..

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
So no Vinton VA feedback yet unless I missed it.
Fed Ex messed up and didn't get them to Vinton until a weekday. The participant did get a chance to hear them briefly and said he would get back to me and maybe post something next week. He's under no pressure or obligation to do that, of course.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Yeah the 3300w is definitely something I have considered and was in fact my first choice. I don't really care for heos in my apartment, so it has pretty much everything I need.

The only thing that has confused me is all the talk about Marantz or the Burr Brown DACs on Yamahas being more musical.

Any idea how this compares to the Yamaha in a listening test?
I believe the Denon and Marantz models use the same DACs: HDAM is the type of pre-amp used on Marantz models and is known to provide more detailed audio with 2CH analog audio music listening. There's a lot of debate here with the HDAM circuitry and it's mostly subjective in nature. I have the 4300 and I really like it, I use it as a preamp for music listening and four of it's 9 channels to drive Atmos speakers in the HT setup. I can't comment on the Yamaha as I've never heard one. Denon and Marantz are the same with the exception of the HDAM circuitry. Both tend to run hot from my experience but it's easily remedied with a silent cooling PC fan.

I really can't justify the extra expense of the Marantz over the Denon..............

·
The Village Idiot
9,534 Posts
I believe the Denon and Marantz models use the same DACs: HDAM is the type of pre-amp used on Marantz models and is known to provide more detailed audio with 2CH analog audio music listening. There's a lot of debate here with the HDAM circuitry and it's mostly subjective in nature. I have the 4300 and I really like it, I use it as a preamp for music listening and four of it's 9 channels to drive Atmos speakers in the HT setup. I can't comment on the Yamaha as I've never heard one. Denon and Marantz are the same with the exception of the HDAM circuitry. Both tend to run hot from my experience but it's easily remedied with a silent cooling PC fan.

I really can't justify the extra expense of the Marantz over the Denon..............

I owned a Marantz AV7702 (not the MkII) for 6 months or so. Followed by a Yamaha CX-A5000 for about 15 months. I used both for 2 channel music as well as multi-channel audio. I preferred the Yamaha for music - for movies it was a tossup. They both performed well - and worked as expected. I like the Yamaha integrated amp better than either of those processors, plenty of clean power and no internal processing - simply analog - the Emo DC-1 DAC handles the processing.

Reactions: ahblaza
6661 - 6680 of 10368 Posts