AVS Forum banner

6681 - 6700 of 10384 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I owned a Marantz AV7702 (not the MkII) for 6 months or so. Followed by a Yamaha CX-A5000 for about 15 months. I used both for 2 channel music as well as multi-channel audio. I preferred the Yamaha for music - for movies it was a tossup. They both performed well - and worked as expected. I like the Yamaha integrated amp better than either of those processors, plenty of clean power and no internal processing - simply analog - the Emo DC-1 DAC handles the processing.

I have read time and again on these forums that owners have preferred the way Yamaha sounded for music. Not sure how or why, and I'd like to hear more.

That said, I'm starting to look at more 9 channel options for a 5.2.4 eventually (for some more cost), and the RX-A2070 is starting to look like a good option for the BMRs. Plenty of juice, up to date features, and 9 channels for future expansion.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
These are substantial speakers!

They have fantastic bass, great imaging, and amazing bass. Oh, did I mention the quality of the bass? 😁

I know people typically focus on the other things these speakers do well, but I just wanted to highlight that these speakers produce such nice, tight, and punchy bass. A more serious review to come when I get used to them and listen some more.

For reference, speakers produce usable bass down to ~36hz in my room

Attachments

·
The Village Idiot
9,534 Posts
I have read time and again on these forums that owners have preferred the way Yamaha sounded for music. Not sure how or why, and I'd like to hear more.

That said, I'm starting to look at more 9 channel options for a 5.2.4 eventually (for some more cost), and the RX-A2070 is starting to look like a good option for the BMRs. Plenty of juice, up to date features, and 9 channels for future expansion.

The CX-A5000 is selling used for around $6-700. A nice bargain IMO but it does not have Atmos. I think the A5100 does...

I keep reading about the Sabre DAC's in the Yamaha being shrill. Huh? The A5000 is about as neutral as electronics get, until you get into dedicated 2 channel gear. I love the setup I currently have. When I turn on the A-S1000 and play music from the Oppo/DC-1 combo or from the HTPC/DC-1 combo its a two channel setup in every way, and no subs, just the A-S1000 and the song towers. The only piece of gear that can be considered multi-channel is the Oppo 103. I have a Yamaha RX-V773 - the only connection to the two channel stuff is through the A-S1000 which becomes a stand-alone stereo amp when in direct amp input is on. Its the same function as the home theater bypass found on various integrated and preamps.

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
24 Posts
The CX-A5000 is selling used for around $6-700. A nice bargain IMO but it does not have Atmos. I think the A5100 does...

I keep reading about the Sabre DAC's in the Yamaha being shrill. Huh? The A5000 is about as neutral as electronics get, until you get into dedicated 2 channel gear. I love the setup I currently have. When I turn on the A-S1000 and play music from the Oppo/DC-1 combo or from the HTPC/DC-1 combo its a two channel setup in every way, and no subs, just the A-S1000 and the song towers. The only piece of gear that can be considered multi-channel is the Oppo 103. I have a Yamaha RX-V773 - the only connection to the two channel stuff is through the A-S1000 which becomes a stand-alone stereo amp when in direct amp input is on. Its the same function as the home theater bypass found on various integrated and preamps.
Not sure what that is about Sabre DACs either. I have a Topping D50 (with Sabre DACs) feeding my headphone amp, and it's about as perfectly neutral as they come.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Wow! Only the second stop and those boxes look like they're ready to fall apart! /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Enjoy!
They're still pretty solid, even if they look a little worse for wear. The corners might need some love by the end of it, but I think they should make it!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
These are substantial speakers!

They have fantastic bass, great imaging, and amazing bass. Oh, did I mention the quality of the bass? 😁

I know people typically focus on the other things these speakers do well, but I just wanted to highlight that these speakers produce such nice, tight, and punchy bass. A more serious review to come when I get used to them and listen some more.

For reference, speakers produce usable bass down to ~36hz in my room
Are those Scansonic MB 2.5s that you have as your regular speakers? I'd be curious to hear a comparison, I loved the sound of the ribbon/planar tweeter on the Raidho XT-1s, I wonder how close the Scansonic gets, and how it compares to the RAALs in the BMRs.

Also, wow, those are some big boxes, seeing to scale next to other speakers the BMRs are some beefy bookshelves.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Just watched my favorite demo scenes from Tron: exceptionally clear sound and dialogue throughout. The bass is ridiculous. If anyone out there asks me to recommend a setup, they don't have room/money for a sub, and their budget was $1,500 or less, these would easily be at the top of my list.

Well done, Dennis

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Are those Scansonic MB 2.5s that you have as your regular speakers? I'd be curious to hear a comparison, I loved the sound of the ribbon/planar tweeter on the Raidho XT-1s, I wonder how close the Scansonic gets, and how it compares to the RAALs in the BMRs.

Also, wow, those are some big boxes, seeing to scale next to other speakers the BMRs are some beefy bookshelves.
Indeed they are. I've enjoyed them quite a bit for the past few years, and will be busy comparing them for the next bit. That being said, the Scansonic speakers cost twice as much, so anything favorable at all for the BMRs should be counted as a solid win 🙂

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Just watched my favorite demo scenes from Tron: exceptionally clear sound and dialogue throughout. The bass is ridiculous. If anyone out there asks me to recommend a setup, they don't have room/money for a sub, and their budget was $1,500 or less, these would easily be at the top of my list.

Well done, Dennis
Ditto...there isn't a better1500/pr speaker!

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Exact reason I switched to towers the little buggers.
I put packing tape on top, face up.

He jumped up there ONCE...and never again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fed Ex messed up and didn't get them to Vinton until a weekday. The participant did get a chance to hear them briefly and said he would get back to me and maybe post something next week. He's under no pressure or obligation to do that, of course.
After much gnashing of teeth, good bourbon and fantasies of redesigning our house/family room around the BMRs, I've finally had to admit that the current design of said environment just won't accommodate speakers the size of the BMRs, even for an audition. I will have to order one of your smaller products when the time comes. So please take my name off of the Houston area destinations, and I'll go listen to "Cry'in Time" one more time.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
After much gnashing of teeth, good bourbon and fantasies of redesigning our house/family room around the BMRs, I've finally had to admit that the current design of said environment just won't accommodate speakers the size of the BMRs, even for an audition. I will have to order one of your smaller products when the time comes. So please take my name off of the Houston area destinations, and I'll go listen to "Cry'in Time" one more time.
OK David--I've struck your name. But there are still several participants in your area, so I hope you'll get a chance to hear them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mr. Murphy, I sent you a PM a week ago, and sent you an email a week before that, but have not heard back. I probably fell through the cracks with all that is going on. I just wanted to let you know I decided to go with the BMRs (in the standard configuration) but will wait for the new rectangular cabinets. Is there any chance you will one day offer a veneer? I have no problem paying more for a Salk cabinet but the added 2 inches in height bothers me for my situation. If not then I'll happily settle for piano black. It's not a deal breaker, just a preference.

Thank you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What a fun time I just had at the home of @amatuerholic for the Charlotte BMR listening party. 3 guys , 3 distinctively different tastes in music. I’ve had these speakers on my radar for a while so I was glad to be invited to the Charlotte listening session. We certainly ran the whole gamut of music styles. Even Neil’s favorite Justin Bieber song .

Amazing is a good way to describe them. Perfect? Of course not. But for the money I can’t see how you’d do any better. As Neil said in an earlier post the bass is surprisingly good. If you are listening to music, a sub will only get in the way.

While these will never replace my 1099s in my home theater, they would be at the very top of my list for a dedicated music setup. I’m all about bang for the buck and these speakers deliver that in spades.

As soon as I can convince the better half that I need a second rig for music, Dennis will be getting a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6681 - 6700 of 10384 Posts