AVS Forum banner

7981 - 8000 of 10367 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maybe he could license the BMR out to one of the DIY sites and get a small royalty from each kit sold.
From his message on the Audioholics forum it looks like Salk will have "production rights" to the design. No telling yet what they would cost.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wishing Dennis a quick and full recovery!

I'd imagine Jim will price these in line with his other offerings so he's not taking a bath on the sales, factoring in the cost of materials and labor. If Dennis was selling them basically at cost, I'd expect a significant increase.

I'd love to hear a pair of BMR's myself. Owning a pair of Sierra-2's has cured my quest to upgrade. The RAAL tweeter was a game changer for me. I don't mean this to seem like any sort of "slight" to the BMR's or other speakers using the same RAAL, but I must point out that the very existence of this tweeter that allows such affordable Hi-end speaker offerings would not be possible had Dave from Ascend Acoustics not teamed up with RAAL to develop it, as well as agreeing to share the basic design for sale to other OEM's in order to recoup the R&D costs. The OEM version offered for sale is slightly different than Ascend's proprietary version, but that's a closely guarded recipe. I do think Dave learned a few lessons from that, but he's happy to see this level of performance available to the average Joe.

Reactions: overg

·
Registered
785 Posts
They use two different Raal’s and if you check out Raal’s website they compare the frequency response if each one, and not two are alike. From this I would expect them to sound similar, possibly unnoticeable, but slightly different. Dave might have something to say on this. Speaking of which, I’m headed to SoCal and plan on hearing quite a bit of the lineup!
The Sierra tweeters are derivative from those on the RAAL site but not the same. The tower version is based on the 70-20XR and the bookshelf/monitor on the smaller 70-10D. Some changes were made to reduce the cost in order for Ascend to offer lower prices. The Sierra 2's ribbon element is shorter too (64mm vs. 70mm for the 70-10). Hope this helps.

Reactions: overg

·
Registered
472 Posts
Definitely sad news. I was so close to get the AA+’s when they first came out, and saw the BMRs as a likely end game somewhere far down the road. I guess that could be possible still. But more important than all of that, best wishes to a healthy recovery Dennis. Hopefully you do still grace us with your knowledge here once you are feeling better. You have certainly helped many here just by sharing your thoughts and experience in the audio world, and I for one, thank you.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
patience is always a good thing :).. a fact that i think others lately have been avoiding ... while i wish Dennis nothing but the best of health & a great future , there are people here (on this thread) making "i hope" plans based on his return to the industry.. a bit of advice, don't plan on Dennis doing anything .. prepare yourself for other alternatives.. odds are you will thank yourself for being prepared ....
i would suggest everyone who wants phil audio speakers to re read this post i wrote on 3/8/19 .. for Dennis sake as well as your own.. "hoping" he gets back to speaker building is a form of pressure he probably doesn't need right now.. and the guys who want speakers can quit wishing and get back to realistic choices....

Reactions: t1337Dude

·
Registered
785 Posts
This is sad news and hopefully Dennis will fully recover and simply enjoy life. Will be interesting to see what Jim winds up doing with the BMRs or Phil 3s or whether Rick at Selah will do a design with the BMR mid and RAAL tweeter combo now.
Sorry to hear that Dennis is exiting the business but it will certainly help him in the recovery process. I have reached out to a mutual friend and offered to help complete assembly of the remaining stock that Dennis has on hand. Praying for your return to good health Dennis!

·
Registered
871 Posts
patience is always a good thing /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
i would suggest everyone who wants phil audio speakers to re read this post i wrote on 3/8/19 .. for Dennis sake as well as your own.. "hoping" he gets back to speaker building is a form of pressure he probably doesn't need right now.. and the guys who want speakers can quit wishing and get back to realistic choices....
Agree wholeheartedly. I'm hoping Salk does start a regular offering of the BMR. While they obviously already have stellar designs, there is, I think, something special around the mesh of the RAAL tweeter and BMR mid-range. I want a third to use as a center channel and while I could get another center, obviously, that uses a RAAL tweeter, I think it is probably the mid-range of the BMR that would most determine whether it meshes well with a pair of LR Philharmonic BMRs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Sierra tweeters are derivative from those on the RAAL site but not the same. The tower version is based on the 70-20XR and the bookshelf/monitor on the smaller 70-10D. Some changes were made to reduce the cost in order for Ascend to offer lower prices. The Sierra 2's ribbon element is shorter too (64mm vs. 70mm for the 70-10). Hope this helps.

Rick, I cannot find the specific data regarding the length of the Sierra-2 RAAL ribbon. The spec page only states the 10mm width. Can you please share where you found that?

Perhaps Dave at Ascend can chime in, but here's a post from Aleksandr of RAAL from the Sierr-2 development thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4978-Sierra-2-Development-Thread&p=46809#post46809

Read from there forward and you will see details of the development process for the RAAL's they co-created.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Rick, I cannot find the specific data regarding the length of the Sierra-2 RAAL ribbon. The spec page only states the 10mm width. Can you please share where you found that?

Perhaps Dave at Ascend can chime in, but here's a post from Aleksandr of RAAL from the Sierr-2 development thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4978-Sierra-2-Development-Thread&p=46809#post46809

Read from there forward and you will see details of the development process for the RAAL's they co-created.
I've seen and heard the speaker. If I'm wrong on the length Dave can comment, but I believe it's 64mm like the BMR's tweeter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I found where Dave mentioned a retail version of the tweeter with considerably different performance characteristics vs the Ascend version.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4978-Sierra-2-Development-Thread&p=45403#post45403
He stated in that thread that it was considerably different than the tweeter in their tower version, which is different than the Sierra 2 tweeter. I'm pretty certain that I have read that the one in the Sierra 2s is a modified version of the OEM RAAL that is in the BMR. What those modifications are is another question, but my understanding was that they are quite similar. I've been reading up a bit on the Sierras recently and have been through countless threads, so unfortunately I do not remember exactly where I read that and can't say that is 100% correct, but I did read it recently and I believe that is what has been stated. If I do find something more again I will post it here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Any thoughts for a center that would mesh well with the BMR's? Thinking about replacing my Elac Unifi's with the BMR's in my living room?
Thx!
Mark

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I was HOPING Dennis would get healthy enough to do what he LOVES, designing speakers. Since it sounds like that isn't likely, I agree...

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
871 Posts
Any thoughts for a center that would mesh well with the BMR's? Thinking about replacing my Elac Unifi's with the BMR's in my living room?
Thx!
Mark
If you review higher up in the thread, you'll see it does not appear the BMRs will continue to be produced. Dennis is no longer going to be building speakers. There is a chance Salk Audio will produce them, but there is nothing definite regarding that (or if they do, what the price would be). That said, the best thing, IMO, would be to have three BMRs across the front (I am currently kicking myself for not buying three when I first got mine).

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
3,605 Posts

Thx!

Mark

Another BMR. Doesn’t look too good for future orders of anything Philharmonic however. You may be able to get some through Salk Sound, ask Jim Salk on his website.

·
Registered
505 Posts
News will make its way whether I do this or another. Much as I learned about the situation from it making its way to the other forum...

See post 56 here.

That's why I bought the center BMR even though I didn't really need it. Just wanted to help Dennis' business at that time. I'm gonna use it for spare parts or perhaps as a center in the future.

·
Registered
425 Posts
He stated in that thread that it was considerably different than the tweeter in their tower version, which is different than the Sierra 2 tweeter. I'm pretty certain that I have read that the one in the Sierra 2s is a modified version of the OEM RAAL that is in the BMR. What those modifications are is another question, but my understanding was that they are quite similar. I've been reading up a bit on the Sierras recently and have been through countless threads, so unfortunately I do not remember exactly where I read that and can't say that is 100% correct, but I did read it recently and I believe that is what has been stated. If I do find something more again I will post it here.

I believe the BMR uses the retail version born from the Ascend/RAAL collaboration. I say that because the model used has the round faceplate which did not exist on the 70-10, but was created in order to allow it to be a drop-in replacement on the Sierra-1 & NrT speakers. If you look at Salk's speakers which use the actual 70-10 you will notice they have rectangular faceplates.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great to hear that Dennis is on the mend, and I hope he is able to focus on what makes him happy...whatever that may be. Even if he never builds another speaker, he's had a positive impact on many people (myself included, every time I listen to my BMRs).

Dennis, do what you need to do to enjoy yourself! You've earned it for sure.

I guess we all go invade the Salk thread now? ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe the BMR uses the retail version born from the Ascend/RAAL collaboration. I say that because the model used has the round faceplate which did not exist on the 70-10, but was created in order to allow it to be a drop-in replacement on the Sierra-1 & NrT speakers. If you look at Salk's speakers which use the actual 70-10 you will notice they have rectangular faceplates.
Salk uses the 70-20 version.

7981 - 8000 of 10367 Posts