AVS Forum banner

9901 - 9920 of 10384 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Now that you write, I remember you hoping they would do something with it. I think people on this forum would like to do the Plus version. Honestly, not that much more though it would be nice to NOT have to buy both the original tweeter/crossover network and the new tweeter/cross over parts.

I never thought you'd offer assembled crossovers - besides, that's part of the fun. God knows I don't need anymore speakers, but...
Unfortunately, I don't think PE would be willing to offer a + kit because the Morel tweeter with the 110 mm baffle is only available from Madisound.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Right you are. It was the PE BR-1 kit with the Morel tweeter that produced the plus version of the AA line. I'm not sure I have a favorite mod. The cool thing about the BR-1 mod was that the stock woofer with the stock tuning went way lower than competing commercial speakers. I'm sure most people used them without a sub. To a much lesser extent, that was an advantage of the first AA speaker, which was a more extensive mod of the AJ Pioneer BS-22 mini. Although all of the AJ speakers I've heard have had problems, perhaps because of severe cost constraints, Andrew sure knows how to tune a woofer. I left that alone on the little AA and just switched the tweeter and redid the crossover. I remember how amazed people were when they walked into my demo room at the Capital Audio Fest and heard solid bass coming from the tiny speakers. Amir over at Audio Science Review recently reviewed the original BS-22 using Klippel spin measurements. He thought they were OK for the price. I took that opportunity to send him one of my modded versions. I don't think he's measured it yet, but it should be interesting to see how it measures and what his opinion is. The monoprice mod is perhaps the most interesting one, since it probably gets the most out of the least building blocks.
Yes, when you review the cost for "us" to purchase the BR-1 and the price of the morel tweeter, you get a sense of the value these speakers represent. Much like the BMR, we can see that Dennis was not getting rich on these speakers...

·
Registered
873 Posts
[]

Unfortunately, I don't think PE would be willing to offer a + kit because the Morel tweeter with the 110 mm baffle is only available from Madisound.
I wasn't even thinking about a kit from PE, but a parts list and schematic/x-over layout diagram for putting our own together. Yes, people would have to buy the BR-1 kit AND the extra parts for for the mod, but I'm sure some would be interested in doing that and probably a number of people who already own the BR-1s would be interested in modifying them.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wasn't even thinking about a kit from PE, but a parts list and schematic/x-over layout diagram for putting our own together. Yes, people would have to buy the BR-1 kit AND the extra parts for for the mod, but I'm sure some would be interested in doing that and probably a number of people who already own the BR-1s would be interested in modifying them.
Actually, there would be no need to purchase the whole BR-1 kit. The cabinets are sold separately, as is the woofer. I haven't totaled everything up, but you should save something by not having to buy the Xover components for the stock BR-1.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Reactions: kyzer soze

·
Registered
507 Posts
In some countries (not U.S.), it's referred to as Pink Floyd ‎– "Wish You Were Here - Experience Edition"

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here/release/3304673
I have that mix in CD and SACD (captioned) and I'm in the US. The radio/guitar intro plays from the right surround back on the SACD version. WYWH 2CH is one of my test tracks to demo the BMRs to friends - audiophiles and wannabees. Great SQ considering the era when it was recorded.

Attachments

Reactions: BluesDaddy56

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I meant they just called it in the U.S. "Wish You Were Here" without the added "Experience Addition " suffix which was part of the title in other countries.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gyroscopics

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have that mix in CD and SACD (captioned) and I'm in the US. The radio/guitar intro plays from the right surround back on the SACD version. WYWH 2CH is one of my test tracks to demo the BMRs to friends - audiophiles and wannabees. Great SQ considering the era when it was recorded.
Yes, the multi-channel version is incredible. I had to track it down after having heard just the two channel snippet on the Demo disc.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
The multi-channel Dark side of the Moon doesn't suck either!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Do you remember where you got the SACD version?

Is the SACD stereo only?

I've looked on amazon, discogs, etc and can only find the CD versions.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The multi-channel Dark side of the Moon doesn't suck either!
The beginning of "Money" freaks my dog out, the sounds coming from various points around him.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Thanks. I have that 5.1 SACD.

Adding @Gyroscopics

I think (hope) I understand the situation now...

Wish You Were Here (With Stéphane Grappelli) is included with the "Experience Edition". This is track 8 on Dennis' demo.

The "Experience Edition" is a two CD set with the second CD having the following:

2-1 Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live At Wembley 1974)

2-2 Raving And Drooling (Live At Wembley 1974)

2-3 You've Got To Be Crazy (Live At Wembley 1974)

2-4 Wine Glasses (From 'Household Objects' Project)

2-5 Have A Cigar (Alternative Version)

2-6 Wish You Were Here (With Stéphane Grappelli)
Violin – Stéphane Grappelli

The first CD has the usual version of WYWH in stereo.

AFAIK, there is no SACD which has Wish You Were Here (With Stéphane Grappelli).

Man, I hope I understand this correctly.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
The beginning of "Money" freaks my dog out, the sounds coming from various points around him.
Last thing anyone needs is a freaked out dog!

Reactions: BluesDaddy56

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting video on Audioholics Youtube channel about directivity. The BMR is their example of a "really good wide dispersion speaker . . . One of the best wide angled speakers we ever measured." No surprise there, given they said as much in their original review of the speaker, but nice to see it called out again in a much more general video.

https://youtu.be/qItHs0nPm6U?t=1559

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hey all!
I have been thinking about either buying or building a set of BMR's and had a few questions.

The BMR kit from meniscus audio seems to be out of stock I assume they are still selling it?
Does anyone have pre-cut cabinets for the BMR?
Any other high end kits I should be looking at? (It doesn't *have* to be a bookshelf) Price range for drivers + cross over ~2000$ or below.
But it has to be much better than the BMR for the price =)

Thanks for your thoughts all!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey all!
I have been thinking about either buying or building a set of BMR's and had a few questions.

The BMR kit from meniscus audio seems to be out of stock I assume they are still selling it?
Does anyone have pre-cut cabinets for the BMR?
Any other high end kits I should be looking at? (It doesn't *have* to be a bookshelf) Price range for drivers + cross over ~2000$ or below.
But it has to be much better than the BMR for the price =)

Thanks for your thoughts all!
There are retail speakers at 2-4K per pair for towers that I think are outclassed by the BMRs! ;) Seriously! They are great speakers.

I believe everybody is waiting For Raal to begin production/distribution again. (A friend is buying Ascend and has to wait for the Raals to be Built/shipped/delivered before his speaker can be.)

There has already been much discussion about the Flat packs for the BMR:
https://www.speakerhardware.com/philharmonic-bmr-flat-pack.php

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There are retail speakers at 2-4K per pair for towers that I think are outclassed by the BMRs! ;) Seriously! They are great speakers.
I have a set of the AA Phils so I understand the value/quality the BMR's bring, which is why Im looking at building/buying a set.
But I did want to get peoples thoughts on if I went with a more expensive kit of something that I could get some clearly better gains than the BMR's for a reasonable price. If not Sweet!!!!!!!!

Or maybe a better question would be to Dennis - are there any higher quality drivers that would make the BMR significantly better? Say a BMR Master Reference Edition? =)
I suppose I'm just being silly from being cooped up for too long =)

I believe everybody is waiting For Raal to begin production/distribution again. (A friend is buying Ascend and has to wait for the Raals to be Built/shipped/delivered before his speaker can be.)

There has already been much discussion about the Flat packs for the BMR:
https://www.speakerhardware.com/philharmonic-bmr-flat-pack.php
Ahh thanks for that makes sense if Raal is causing the packs to show out of stock with no price.
And double thanks on the cabinets!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a set of the AA Phils so I understand the value/quality the BMR's bring, which is why Im looking at building/buying a set.
But I did want to get peoples thoughts on if I went with a more expensive kit of something that I could get some clearly better gains than the BMR's for a reasonable price. If not Sweet!!!!!!!!

Or maybe a better question would be to Dennis - are there any higher quality drivers that would make the BMR significantly better? Say a BMR Master Reference Edition? =)
I suppose I'm just being silly from being cooped up for too long =)

Ahh thanks for that makes sense if Raal is causing the packs to show out of stock with no price.
And double thanks on the cabinets!
Paid a visit to Meniscus.com, and they specifically note that the tweeters are out of stock. ;)

I auditioned KEF R900 and R11 two winters ago, after which I ordered from Dennis. Some say those are astounding! speakers.

(Meh.)

I ended up with bleeding ear syndrome (ie listening fatigue). Had I the cash on me that night, I may very well have bought Martin Logan Motion 60XTs, instead (at $3K for the pair!). Glad I waited!

There are two companies I would buy speakers from today. (Mind, I am learning speaker design instead.) Both have been discussed here before. One involves Dennis' design work. ;)
Short of it is... There are great speakers out there, but the BMR is very special and worth the pursuit.

:D

Reactions: Gyroscopics
9901 - 9920 of 10384 Posts