AVS Forum banner

9941 - 9960 of 10368 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone.
I’m new on this forum.
Landed here after trying to find more info on the BMR.
I can say that I didn’t chose a simple path, wanting to do my diy project with the BMR. Because of all the timing and situation. That said, I’m a patient guy.
Just want to make sure that, There is a good probability that these could be the right speaker for me.
couples of questions.

Main amp: Sansui 9090 that I fully restored and recapped

The max Space I have from the back wall is 8 inch.
Could have betwen 7 to 9 feets betwen both speaker and 10 to 11 from the listening. Half open room of 13 by 14.
I saw photo of a BMR front ported... are those Dennis design? Available somewere? Because of my limitations ( close to the back wall ) I would go for that version, if it’s the same specs and the same guy who design the original port.
Or do you think that there is no problem going with the back ported BMR... or look elsewhere??

I use to be a cabinet maker, so I was planning to build my boxes by myself but I saw some birch flat pack offered. I was wondering if the original boxe wheir in mdf and if that was the case, is there a difference in sound. i could use the birch one as a base for my design.

I was planning to buy the harware kit from the official place, when it’s going to be back in stock.
Do you think that the inside cabinet infos about the matérials for insonorisation and type of matérials respect the original design?

If the questions above have been already anwsered in other posts. Just wright dow the links please.

Sorry if I hijack this post, didn’t know where to go... newbie on this forum
Ps: english isn’t my mother language.

I’m happy to be here
Thank you for this thread.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hello everyone.
I’m new on this forum.
I can say that I didn’t chose a simple path, wanting to do my diy project with the BMR. Because of all the timing and situation. That said, I’m a patient guy.
Just want to make sure that, There is a good probability that these could be the right speaker for me.
couples of questions.

I’m happy to be here

Welcome!

This is likely as good a place as any, and I am in the same situation as you so Ill let others answer your questions!
I guess we could start a dedicated DIY BMR thread if others think that is a better way?

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Thanks. Don't get me wrong...while it is possible to make baltic birch look very good, it'll still never look quite as nice as walnut, cherry, etc.

I tried to go relatively "all out" on the OS MTM kit because they weren't very expensive and if I screwed them up I wasn't out a whole lot, but they turned out really good with the two-tone treatment (light stain front, dark on the rest).

Would I do a set of BMR's that way? I don't know. I guess I'd have to look at the birch on the cabinet I was provided with. However, I'd 100% rather work with baltic birch than I would MDF, even if I was doing a veneer.

Here's an earlier Voxel sub that I hand built from plans and for some reason, the baltic birch I used on that just wasn't as cooperative in showing the grain. I didn't care as much and didn't put as much time/prep into it as it would be hidden under a desk, but that sheet of baltic birch was just a bit different.

I get what you are saying, but that subwoofer still looks way better than 95% of the speakers NOT SOLD BY JIM SALK!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello everyone.
I’m new on this forum.
couples of questions.

Main amp: Sansui 9090 that I fully restored and recapped

The max Space I have from the back wall is 8 inch.
Could have betwen 7 to 9 feets betwen both speaker and 10 to 11 from the listening. Half open room of 13 by 14.
I saw photo of a BMR front ported... are those Dennis design? Available somewere? Because of my limitations ( close to the back wall ) I would go for that version, if it’s the same specs and the same guy who design the original port.
Or do you think that there is no problem going with the back ported BMR... or look elsewhere??

I use to be a cabinet maker, so I was planning to build my boxes by myself but I saw some birch flat pack offered. I was wondering if the original boxe wheir in mdf and if that was the case, is there a difference in sound. i could use the birch one as a base for my design.

I was planning to buy the harware kit from the official place, when it’s going to be back in stock.
Do you think that the inside cabinet infos about the matérials for insonorisation and type of matérials respect the original design?

If the questions above have been already anwsered in other posts. Just wright dow the links please.

I’m happy to be here

Hi. Just a couple of comments. First, if you have 10" behind the speakers, the rear ported version should work as intended. I don't recommend the slotted front port unless you absolutely have to use one. The aggressively flared round rear port provides deeper bass with much less port noise. All previous BMR's used mdf for cabinet panels, but baltic birch is actually a little more inert and you don't have to bother to veneer or paint it. The interior sound treatment provided by Meniscus is at least as effective as that used in the original BMR's.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi. Just a couple of comments. First, if you have 10" behind the speakers, the rear ported version should work as intended. I don't recommend the slotted front port unless you absolutely have to use one. The aggressively flared round rear port provides deeper bass with much less port noise. All previous BMR's used mdf for cabinet panels, but baltic birch is actually a little more inert and you don't have to bother to veneer or paint it. The interior sound treatment provided by Meniscus is at least as effective as that used in the original BMR's.

Dennis - On the rear port clearance - I only have about 4-6" is that sufficient?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes that is a nice sub.
Birch is very difficult to stains, like said earlier.
Can someone tell me how do I reply to a specific post...
Quote, how do I do
For image to, how do yo insert image?
I went in the faq asv didn’t find the anwser.

For me, I did some diy project. Usualy I use MDF with wood veneer and all the edge are done in solid wood.
I’m questioning a litle bit how the birch flat kit is assemble, with the pockets screw and the thickness.
Do you think it respect the original spec.
It’s a great way to do a box, but its not the same resonance than mdf.
Not sating mdf is best, just wondering what is the original design.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes that is a nice sub.
Birch is very difficult to stains, like said earlier.
Can someone tell me how do I reply to a specific post...
Quote, how do I do
For image to, how do yo insert image?
There should be a quote button on each post (or multi-quote).
You simply click on quote and it will open the editor window with your quote in it.

From the editor window you can use the "drag and Drop File Upload" or "Manage Attachments"
I dont know how to get the inline with text tho.