AVS Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 10382 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think PE would be willing to offer a + kit because the Morel tweeter with the 110 mm baffle is only available from Madisound.
Hey Dennis
Any chance you could provide the info on the crossover for the New Affordable Accuracy Monitors? The first version from the BR-1 kit. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Dennis Murphy's AAM (Affordable Accuracy Monitor) gets reviewed and recommended on another site.

That's pretty neat, but I'm wondering why a review on one of his older designs that's long out of production? Is Dennis going to re-release or provide detailed specs on the modified crossover design?

But IIRC, the full crossover mod to the BS-22 wasn't exactly easy for the beginner DIY crowd. I was going to do the tweeter + cap to mine, but the full mod required more effort than I wanted to put into them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's pretty neat, but I'm wondering why a review on one of his older designs that's long out of production? Is Dennis going to re-release or provide detailed specs on the modified crossover design?

But IIRC, the full crossover mod to the BS-22 wasn't exactly easy for the beginner DIY crowd. I was going to do the tweeter + cap to mine, but the full mod required more effort than I wanted to put into them.
I sent the little AA monitor to Amir for two reasons. First, he had just published a review of the stock Pioneer BS22, and I thought it would be interesting to see how they compared using the Klippel measuring machine, particularly since documentation for my mod is still in the public domain. Second, and more important, it would be a valuable learning experience for me. I've sold hundreds of those little monitors and have never had a return or a complaint, and I'm intimately familiar with how they sound and how they measure on my Praxis software. I was very interested to see whether my own measurements tracked the Klippel results, and whether the much more detailed Klippel measurements revealed any serious design flaws. And I wanted to get a better handle on Amir's listening tastes so I could better interpret his subjective opinions, which have proven controversial. In the end, I did learn a lot, and I also opened up a can of many worms. I'm getting requests from all over the world for a speaker that no longer exists.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I sent the little AA monitor to Amir for two reasons. First, he had just published a review of the stock Pioneer BS22, and I thought it would be interesting to see how they compared using the Klippel measuring machine, particularly since documentation for my mod is still in the public domain. Second, and more important, it would be a valuable learning experience for me. I've sold hundreds of those little monitors and have never had a return or a complaint, and I'm intimately familiar with how they sound and how they measure on my Praxis software. I was very interested to see whether my own measurements tracked the Klippel results, and whether the much more detailed Klippel measurements revealed any serious design flaws. And I wanted to get a better handle on Amir's listening tastes so I could better interpret his subjective opinions, which have proven controversial. In the end, I did learn a lot, and I also opened up a can of many worms. I'm getting requests from all over the world for a speaker that no longer exists.
Not to put you on the spot if you wish to keep them private, but what additional insight did you gain from his review of the AA monitor? (in terms of the Klippel/Praxis differences, any designs flaws that weren't obvious before, Amir's subjective tastes vs yours, etc.)

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I have never heard of this Klippel measuring machine...or of this Amir guy! A brief google search, and it appears to be a device that measures output? is that correct? microphone free?
What did the comparison of Klippel vs your method tell you?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
In the end, I did learn a lot, and I also opened up a can of many worms. I'm getting requests from all over the world for a speaker that no longer exists.

Does not surprise me, that's why I was curious as to why it was getting tested.

The BS22 is still a very popular speaker. It's not a lot of money, it sounds decent, it looks much more expensive than what it actually is with the curved cabinets and nice vinyl, etc. If you could sell a "plug and play" kit for them (xover + tweeter) I think you'd be surprised how many of them would sell.

I have speakers worth over 10x what the BS22's are yet I still have them around because they are just a nice speaker, even in stock form. Plus, it's the speaker that absolutely smashed in the door of what we now know as "budget audiophile" speakers.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have never heard of this Klippel measuring machine...or of this Amir guy! A brief google search, and it appears to be a device that measures output? is that correct? microphone free?
I've never seen the machine in action and don't understand all of the details, but the measurements have much more resolution in the bass and midrange than I can obtain. Also, it produces complete Spinorama results, which are to cumbersome for me to perform. Here's the explanation Amir gives:

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This from Zaph Audio site:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/setup.html

Scroll down a little and he talks about his quasi-infinite baffle test jig.

Post 13 on this thread from PE TechTalk discusses some other Test Baffle parameters. A few other posts have some links to their designs or just measurements.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/37296-what-does-your-test-baffle-look-like?p=501068#post501068

And here's a video posted by a guy, Erin's Audio Corner, who bought his own Klippel Analysis setup. Fast forward toward the end unless you really like watching a grown man open his "X-mas" package! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHNvt6Y2NIM
I posted this a bit ago... this guy Erin has been documenting his return to Speaker testing here at AH, as well as his own channel.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/erins-audio-corner-my-new-review-youtube-channel-website.116884/
Most recently he has been working out the kinks on his testing procedures. Interesting stuff if you are in to it! (I am.) :p

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dennis continues to be "in the news." Part 2 of Audioholics video series on "narrow vs. wide dispersion" is up, and once again the BMR is featured heavily, culminating in being the first speaker named as an "Audioholics recommended" wide dispersion speaker, even at the increased Salk prices.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
If you venture outside this thread then you will see that there is a large world of audio.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
If you venture outside this thread then you will see that there is a large world of audio.
Yes, I am aware of that...but thanks.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I haven't read all of the ASR tests, but has Amir ever liked something that didn't measure well with his equipment?

Just curious...

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I posted this a bit ago... this guy Erin has been documenting his return to Speaker testing here at AH, as well as his own channel.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/erins-audio-corner-my-new-review-youtube-channel-website.116884/
Most recently he has been working out the kinks on his testing procedures. Interesting stuff if you are in to it! (I am.) :p

Cheers!

Erin of Erin’s Audio Corner is a good guy and a smart guy. He’s been big into car audio for a long time and has contributed heavily over at diymobileaudio . com. I’ve learned a ton from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Erin of Erin’s Audio Corner is a good guy and a smart guy. He’s been big into car audio for a long time and has contributed heavily over at diymobileaudio . com. I’ve learned a ton from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?
Agree... I enjoy following his AH thread as he works through getting his test rig and protocol up and running. He's using the Buchy S400 so he can compare to Amirs testing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I haven't read all of the ASR tests, but has Amir ever liked something that didn't measure well with his equipment?

Just curious...
The obverse is actually true and has been the subject of a lot of debate on his forum. On several occasions he has disliked and refused to recommend speakers that measured well using his Klippel machine. I don't think he's ever endorsed or enjoyed a speaker that measured badly, with the possible exception of the stock Pioneer BS22, which he thought were respectable speakers for a budget design despite less than stellar measurements.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
The obverse is actually true and has been the subject of a lot of debate on his forum. On several occasions he has disliked and refused to recommend speakers that measured well using his Klippel machine. I don't think he's ever endorsed or enjoyed a speaker that measured badly, with the possible exception of the stock Pioneer BS22, which he thought were respectable speakers for a budget design despite less than stellar measurements.
Dennis, sent you a PM about the crossover details for the Monoprice towers.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
9981 - 10000 of 10382 Posts