AVS Forum banner

10121 - 10140 of 10384 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
After about an hour listening to the Monoprice towers...the midrange just ain't right on these speakers. Not great bass, but the bass sounds fine and the high end detail is there...but the midrange is lacking and perhaps screwed up. I cannot remember how these things measured but it seems they lack any real and detailed midrange.
Hint. There's no crossover on the woofer.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Before I go through the work, I was wondering if anyone has a list of crossover parts that are needed for the BR-1 AA+ (Morel tweeter). No need to redo what has been done, and it'd be a good reference for anyone wishing to build them.

Also, any update on the PCB for said application?
I also am interested if anyone could list the crossover parts for the AA+s, I tried finding the parts on PE from the schematics Dennis sent but must admit I'm not very good at identifying and finding them, that's the reason for the delay on the PCB, that's the only hold up for the PCB, I need to get the complete list before the board can be designed, it's probably a simple matter but like I said I'm not too savvy with parts recognition so any help would be appreciated, even PM will be fine or if it could be shared here............thanks

·
Registered
6,430 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Before I go through the work, I was wondering if anyone has a list of crossover parts that are needed for the BR-1 AA+ (Morel tweeter). No need to redo what has been done, and it'd be a good reference for anyone wishing to build them.

Also, any update on the PCB for said application?
Some parts are out of stock so some of us had to improvise. For example, the Audyn 12uF is out of stock and the ETA changed from 6/27/2020 to 8/28/2020 according to Parts Express. So I ended up ordering multiple caps equivalent to 12uF. That's why relying on prefab PCB for layout and interconnectivity is not recommended.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Didn't say that. I said there's no crossover on the woofer. Same thing holds for the original large Advent, but I think I know which I would pick.
So the crossover design for the stock speakers sets a low limit for the tweeter, but doesn't set a "high" limit for the woofer? So it is 1/2 of a crossover?

·
Registered
570 Posts
So the crossover design for the stock speakers sets a low limit for the tweeter, but doesn't set a "high" limit for the woofer? So it is 1/2 of a crossover?
Right. Like most speakers this cheap, there's a high pass filter on the tweeter, but no low pass on the woofer. The tweeter would self-destruct if it didn't have a series cap to roll it off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Some parts are out of stock so some of us had to improvise. For example, the Audyn 12uF is out of stock and the ETA changed from 6/27/2020 to 8/28/2020 according to Parts Express. So I ended up ordering multiple caps equivalent to 12uF. That's why relying on prefab PCB for layout and interconnectivity is not recommended.
There's a lot of stuff out-of-stock right now. Personally, I'd rather wait until the proper parts came in so if there was any issues it'd be easier to diagnose.

But if you've decoded the needed crossover parts, why not post them up? Like I said...there's no reason for us to try and figure it out if it's already been done.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's a lot of stuff out-of-stock right now. Personally, I'd rather wait until the proper parts came in so if there was any issues it'd be easier to diagnose.

But if you've decoded the needed crossover parts, why not post them up? Like I said...there's no reason for us to try and figure it out if it's already been done.
The remaining workaround capacitors arrived today. Before I PM anyone the part numbers I need to put the crossover together first, then measure the FR, to prove that my makeshift components work. BTW some forum members already completed their AA project. I'm a little behind as I WFH and could only spend time during nights and weekends.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The remaining workaround capacitors arrived today. Before I PM anyone the part numbers I need to put the crossover together first, then measure the FR, to prove that my makeshift components work. BTW some forum members already completed their AA project. I'm a little behind as I WFH and could only spend time during nights and weekends.
Dennis was kind enough to send out the AA+ plans so I'm not sure why folks haven't posted up the parts lists yet. Not picking on you as I understand not wanting to since you deviated a bit, but otherwise...not sure why folks are holding them so close.

I was going to post my progress in here with the build to try and show my appreciation for what Dennis has done for the community.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dennis was kind enough to send out the AA+ plans so I'm not sure why folks haven't posted up the parts lists yet. Not picking on you as I understand not wanting to since you deviated a bit, but otherwise...not sure why folks are holding them so close.

I was going to post my progress in here with the build to try and show my appreciation for what Dennis has done for the community.
;)
Just based on earlier conversation, I think the key would be seeing Dennis give us a hearty thumbs up for sharing publicly. :) ...As, thus far, this has only been distributed privately and by request.

My last parts are on order and should be here very soon... my early rough-outs look good, and matched closely with that photo a page or so back...
Eager!!! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
;)
Just based on earlier conversation, I think the key would be seeing Dennis give us a hearty thumbs up for sharing publicly. :) ...As, thus far, this has only been distributed privately and by request.

My last parts are on order and should be here very soon... my early rough-outs look good, and matched closely with that photo a page or so back...
Eager!!! :D
Feel free to post the schematics. As for part outages, Dayton poly caps are a perfectly acceptable substitute for Audyns. And Erse inductors can be substituted for Jantzen.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here is my AA+ progress so far. I did not blur the component specs as Dennis had given permission to post the schematics.

Pardon for being a DIY noob, but I forgot to buy screws to mount the drivers to the cabinet. So my listening and REW session won't happen until tomorrow.
@_tk if you are okay with my substitute parts, I'll PM the part numbers. The substitute parts (ERSE 2mH for equivalent Jantzen, parallel 5.1 ohms for 2.5ohms, 15+1.5uF for 16.5 uF and 10+1+1uF for 12uF) were discussed and approved by Dennis via private email. Thanks again Dennis, and sorry to bother you with my noob questions.

Attachments

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just to fill the void:
here is the original AA Dayton Tweeter XO:

And this after stripping one of the boards for parts. My criteria for salvage was Lead Length. Since most parts are relatively inexpensive, I opted for replacing where I didn't feel I had enough lead to work with.
Side note, you can see where Dennis ran two 5.1 Ohm resistors in parallel to get the 2.5 Ohm value.

Attachments

Reactions: Gyroscopics

·
Registered
554 Posts
Okay, I am going to give the Monoprice upgrade a try...order the towers today. Will evaluate them for a couple weeks, then annoy the crap out of Dennis for a couple weeks with questions about the crossovers and then see what the new speakers are "all that!" Exciting stuff in this social distance world...
Elihawk, which model of the Monoprice speakers did you order? I've been looking and getting ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just to fill the void:
here is the original AA Dayton Tweeter XO:

And this after stripping one of the boards for parts. My criteria for salvage was Lead Length. Since most parts are relatively inexpensive, I opted for replacing where I didn't feel I had enough lead to work with.
Side note, you can see where Dennis ran two 5.1 Ohm resistors in parallel to get the 2.5 Ohm value.
Tacky tacky. No wonder that guy went out of business.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tacky tacky. No wonder that guy went out of business.
I guess if you are doing an external XO and putting it on display, a la Troels Gravesen, it might matter.

I suspect most of us here are happy with the Sausage and aren't too terribly disappointed by seeing how it was made! :p And Dennis, your Sausages... I mean Speakers Taste... errr... Sound Great! :D

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I appreciate your rigor, but it really shouldn't take more than an hour of listening to the stock to form an opinion about the frequency response and sound staging. And then you can mod one of them and compare with the stock and tell all you're going to know about the differences in basic voicing. Sound staging would require both of them to be modded, of course, but the main effect of the mod is on voicing, not sound staging.
i would assume (and i admit i could be way off here) that with that ribbon tweeter the mono's will have plenty of air and a nice big stage ...

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
10121 - 10140 of 10384 Posts