AVS Forum banner

10421 - 10440 of 10812 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you guys can accept "not exactly the same" pictures, I have quite a few BMR and Minis. Dennis has posted a few Minis. We've been selling the piano finish BMR in Taiwan and have lots of speaker pictures. The walnut piano finish is the new finish everyone likes.
i would love to see them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Let's try this one. I want to show the mini color in normal lit room. The walnut is dark brown with a tint of red. The middle BMR is also walnut tinted to red color. Red BMR is quite popular in Taiwan. Of course, there is the infinity gauntlet and behind speakers there is the Castle Grayskull.

None of these are exact match to current production - Mini has AC2560 as the tweeter. BMR will use SB Ceramic driver. But this gives you a good idea of the dark brown walnut piano finish on both upcoming BMR and Mini.

i would love to see them.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
So, Internova1, just so I am clear...both the mini and the BMR will have the finish of the mini showed in that picture? Really nice wrap!

·
Registered
54 Posts
So, Internova1, just so I am clear...both the mini and the BMR will have the finish of the mini showed in that picture? Really nice wrap!
Yes. That is the "no seam" Dennis mentioned. The first generation of Red veneer BMR has four seams around the baffle. The current production wrap the veneer around the sides and baffle to create a continuous view. It looks wonderful with curved sides. See a few pictures of the Mini under normal lighting vs under the sunlight. From the previous picture you can compare Mini's color with the pottery barn coffee table.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This references an earlier part of this long thread and I hope it's still appropriate vs. starting a new thread...

I have a stock Pioneer C22 and am interested in getting closer to Dennis Murphy's original crossover mods for which schematics aren't available. I'm wondering whether the following logic regarding using the well-documented Affordable Accuracy mods to the BS22-LR's makes sense....

Here's the stock BS22 crossover. The actual L2 value is 1.0 mH and the DCR may be higher.

And here's the Affordable Accuracy bookshelf, with crossover mods and substituting the Vifa tweeter.

The crossover mods move the woofer crossover point down about 20% (larger L2-L1 combo), move the tweeter crossover point down about 10% (larger L3), goes to 3rd order which not only sharpens the tweeter rolloff but also brings the woofer and tweeter phases close together around the crossover point, and finally brings the tweeter down a bit after 10 KHz. Woofer/tweeter sensitivity balance is unchanged.

Now, here's the stock C22, with Dennis's suggested "shortcut" mods in red. (Note: Actual drivers are the same Pioneer woofers, and the Vifa tweeter which is 4 ohms, not 8).

Pioneer's (Jones's) stock crossover is basically the same as the crossover for the B22 except for the lower Q of the 2nd order lowpass (2.2 Ohm instead of 0.33) and the smaller resistor in the tweeter path which is presumably to balance it with the double woofers. I think that the woofer rolloff will also be gentler because of the 4 Ohm combination rather than the 8 Ohm single woofer.

In terms of the shortcut mod, we see the same theme of going 3rd order on the tweeter. It also includes the added 2.2 ohms apparently to balance the woofer/tweeter sensitivities. But not the adjusted crossover points or tempering of the tweeter high end.

If I am right about the parallel woofers effectively lowering the Q of the low end crossover, there's not much one can do with this basic circuit to replicate the AA bookshelf. So, while not super-economical and maybe lacking elegance, what about essentially replicating the AA bookshelf crossover?

The 4.4 Ohms on the tweeter is a guess at balancing the woofers/tweeter, and the lowpass cap on the tweeter is adjusted to keep the rolloff starting at around 10 KHz to match Dennis's shortcut mod. It's 11 components, and maybe not what we'd call an "elegant" solution, but is it a valid approach?

·
Registered
644 Posts
This references an earlier part of this long thread and I hope it's still appropriate vs. starting a new thread...

I have a stock Pioneer C22 and am interested in getting closer to Dennis Murphy's original crossover mods for which schematics aren't available. I'm wondering whether the following logic regarding using the well-documented Affordable Accuracy mods to the BS22-LR's makes sense....

Here's the stock BS22 crossover. The actual L2 value is 1.0 mH and the DCR may be higher.

View attachment 3029817
And here's the Affordable Accuracy bookshelf, with crossover mods and substituting the Vifa tweeter.

View attachment 3029819

The crossover mods move the woofer crossover point down about 20% (larger L2-L1 combo), move the tweeter crossover point down about 10% (larger L3), goes to 3rd order which not only sharpens the tweeter rolloff but also brings the woofer and tweeter phases close together around the crossover point, and finally brings the tweeter down a bit after 10 KHz. Woofer/tweeter sensitivity balance is unchanged.

Now, here's the stock C22, with Dennis's suggested "shortcut" mods in red. (Note: Actual drivers are the same Pioneer woofers, and the Vifa tweeter which is 4 ohms, not 8).

View attachment 3029820

Pioneer's (Jones's) stock crossover is basically the same as the crossover for the B22 except for the lower Q of the 2nd order lowpass (2.2 Ohm instead of 0.33) and the smaller resistor in the tweeter path which is presumably to balance it with the double woofers. I think that the woofer rolloff will also be gentler because of the 4 Ohm combination rather than the 8 Ohm single woofer.

In terms of the shortcut mod, we see the same theme of going 3rd order on the tweeter. It also includes the added 2.2 ohms apparently to balance the woofer/tweeter sensitivities. But not the adjusted crossover points or tempering of the tweeter high end.

If I am right about the parallel woofers effectively lowering the Q of the low end crossover, there's not much one can do with this basic circuit to replicate the AA bookshelf. So, while not super-economical and maybe lacking elegance, what about essentially replicating the AA bookshelf crossover?

View attachment 3029822
The 4.4 Ohms on the tweeter is a guess at balancing the woofers/tweeter, and the lowpass cap on the tweeter is adjusted to keep the rolloff starting at around 10 KHz to match Dennis's shortcut mod. It's 11 components, and maybe not what we'd call an "elegant" solution, but is it a valid approach?

View attachment 3029817

View attachment 3029819

View attachment 3029820

View attachment 3029822
Wow--that was a lot of work. I'll have to study this and simulate what you're suggesting, but anyone who wants the actual crossover mod for the C22 is welcome to it. Maybe I'll post it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I still contend that the BMR driver itself needs some sort of trim ring or something as the design just doesn't integrate well with the other two drivers. The new woofer though is very sharp and definitely a step up in the aesthetics department.

That's being picky though...I know it's all about the sound (but I love to run my speakers sans-grill). I'm really glad this is coming together though...I think you'll sell a lot of them and if the finished speaker really is that nice looking I'll probably just buy that instead of the DIY approach.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think I discussed this a little earlier, but we definitely are planning on a tower speaker. At this point, it's really just a matter of settling on a woofer.
Any idea of price point for the tower potentially?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
I still contend that the BMR driver itself needs some sort of trim ring or something as the design just doesn't integrate well with the other two drivers. The new woofer though is very sharp and definitely a step up in the aesthetics department.

That's being picky though...I know it's all about the sound (but I love to run my speakers sans-grill). I'm really glad this is coming together though...I think you'll sell a lot of them and if the finished speaker really is that nice looking I'll probably just buy that instead of the DIY approach.
I certainly agree about the trim ring. I'll see if there's anything we can do working with the factory. I probably wouldn't go with the integrated ring that Cambridge Audio uses, but a simple circle might be feasible.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

It does look nice, however I like my speakers to disappear as it improves the illusion the music creates. Needless to say, I don't have LED lights shining on my speakers. I also leave the grilles off, so I prefer the dark version of the woofer.

I really like the new finishes, too.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The Mini looks really nice. Great job Dennis

·
Registered
644 Posts
Those both look great. Why no curved cabinets for the bmr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?
Those both look great. Why no curved cabinets for the bmr?

We will have curved BMR's in the future. We are piggybacking these BMR's on an existing order for Taiwan, and the details of a curved version hadn't been worked out yet. You can see that the curved mini actually bows out in the middle. I like that look in a small speaker, but when we tried it with the BMR, it just looked too big and bulky. So the BMR's will have a more subtle curvature.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
We will have curved BMR's in the future. We are piggybacking these BMR's on an existing order for Taiwan, and the details of a curved version hadn't been worked out yet. You can see that the curved mini actually bows out in the middle. I like that look in a small speaker, but when we tried it with the BMR, it just looked too big and bulky. So the BMR's will have a more subtle curvature.
Thanks Dennis, I like the curved sides as well. Gives it a more swanky vibe.

Regarding your upcoming tower, which style of construction are you planning for it? Would the driver layout be MTMWW or WMTMW? Really excited to hear more about it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Now I have to decide if I want to sell my Wharfedales that are my surrounds and go with four Minis instead. Thanks Dennis! ;-)

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow--that was a lot of work. I'll have to study this and simulate what you're suggesting, but anyone who wants the actual crossover mod for the C22 is welcome to it. Maybe I'll post it when I get a chance.
Any further thoughts on the idea, and the authentic mod would be great! Dennis, I messaged you directly. In the meantime, the quick mod is in place as soon as I prep the cabinet and swap the tweeter...

·
Registered
6 Posts
All sealed up, and I can report that the difference is remarkable just from this simple crossover change and the Vifa tweeter. I added 1/2" sonic barrier on the bottom, top, and sides, and tacked squares of the original batting between the ports and crossover.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Any further thoughts on the idea, and the authentic mod would be great! Dennis, I messaged you directly. In the meantime, the quick mod is in place as soon as I prep the cabinet and swap the tweeter...

View attachment 3030129
I haven't had a chance to model what you've done, but here are the schematics for my version of the C22 mod. I don't know where to look for pm's on the new format.

10421 - 10440 of 10812 Posts