AVS Forum banner

10441 - 10460 of 10894 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Dennis! To see PM's, I think you'd click on the purple box with the P, near the right in the black stripe at the top, then on Conversations in the menu that drops down. It was just an offer to help in any way with this.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Have been out of this thread for a while and am pleasantly surprised about news of the BMR return as well as a possible full tower. Will the new BMRs still use the RAAL tweeter but a different bass driver, or has the tweeter also changed?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have been out of this thread for a while and am pleasantly surprised about news of the BMR return as well as a possible full tower. Will the new BMRs still use the RAAL tweeter but a different bass driver, or has the tweeter also changed?
The specs are on my website. New woofer, Same old tweeter.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Been away from the forums for a bit - very glad to see you back Dennis - was sending you good energy :)

·
The Village Idiot
9,567 Posts
Same old tweeter.
As if that were a bad thing!

Looking at the new Philharmonitor vs the kit, looks like the new fully assembled speaker is still quite the bargain. I priced out the kit vs the new speaker, for me I don't really mind what the finish is as long as it's not flaming pink or fire engine red. That Mini looks to have a very nice gloss finish. These new speakers have me wondering what they would sound like with the new KT88 powered amp I have coming.,,

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Dennis and Philharmonic is back!

·
Registered
62 Posts
By way of introduction, my name is Ken and I'm Dennis' business partner who has been providing BMR (and Mini soon) in Taiwan. We are excited to bring the offering back to United States. By helping Dennis with the operation side, we hope to provide the sustainable speaker offerings everyone can enjoy in the future. You will likely see me posting BMR and Minis of different finishes in Taiwan. We were able to provide a wider selection because of our "Kickstarter" model. For example, BMR has three different veneers (Walnut, Cherry, Burl) and three different solid piano colors (White, Red, Black - no veneer). We have a customer being creative and ordered one Black Mini and one White Mini for his pair. Dennis and I picked the most popular finish (by a large margin - Dark Piano Walnut) for the domestic production as this one goes with almost any decor.

In Taiwan, customers pre-ordered the speakers and pay 50% of the cost to fund the cabinet and crossover production. We only start the production when the minimum order quantity has reached (Set by the factory). Because it is pre-order, we are very flexible on finish options and not to worry about inventory. Customers usually wait for 3-4 months of production time. Cabinets and drivers would arrive at different time. We also ask customers to do the "final" assembly of the woofer to share our common root in DIY.

You are very welcome to visit this page where I collected many BMR customer reviews and pictures (at the bottom of this page - it will bring you to a few Facebook pages we used in Taiwan).

Because all of them are Chinese and Google translate doesn't do a very good job translating Chinese words describing "human emotion of speakers", you can probably only enjoy some pictures. You will find many of these are used for near field listening, customers with 1 W 300B tube amp driving BMR, comparing BMR to high end earphones, and etc. The usage profile is different from domestic users and Dennis has a fan base in Taiwan.

Hope to receive the BMR and Mini shipment soon and hope you'll like the walnut piano finish we picked for you.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
By way of introduction, my name is Ken and I'm Dennis' business partner who has been providing BMR (and Mini soon) in Taiwan. We are excited to bring the offering back to United States. By helping Dennis with the operation side, we hope to provide the sustainable speaker offerings everyone can enjoy in the future. You will likely see me posting BMR and Minis of different finishes in Taiwan. We were able to provide a wider selection because of our "Kickstarter" model. For example, BMR has three different veneers (Walnut, Cherry, Burl) and three different solid piano colors (White, Red, Black - no veneer). We have a customer being creative and ordered one Black Mini and one White Mini for his pair. Dennis and I picked the most popular finish (by a large margin - Dark Piano Walnut) for the domestic production as this one goes with almost any decor.

In Taiwan, customers pre-ordered the speakers and pay 50% of the cost to fund the cabinet and crossover production. We only start the production when the minimum order quantity has reached (Set by the factory). Because it is pre-order, we are very flexible on finish options and not to worry about inventory. Customers usually wait for 3-4 months of production time. Cabinets and drivers would arrive at different time. We also ask customers to do the "final" assembly of the woofer to share our common root in DIY.

You are very welcome to visit this page where I collected many BMR customer reviews and pictures (at the bottom of this page - it will bring you to a few Facebook pages we used in Taiwan). https://alexissound.blogspot.com/2020/06/bmr.html

Because all of them are Chinese and Google translate doesn't do a very good job translating Chinese words describing "human emotion of speakers", you can probably only enjoy some pictures. You will find many of these are used for near field listening, customers with 1 W 300B tube amp driving BMR, comparing BMR to high end earphones, and etc. The usage profile is different from domestic users and Dennis has a fan base in Taiwan.

Hope to receive the BMR and Mini shipment soon and hope you'll like the walnut piano finish we picked for you.
Hi the link you posted doesn’t work.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

You are very welcome to visit this page where I collected many BMR customer reviews and pictures (at the bottom of this page - it will bring you to a few Facebook pages we used in Taiwan).

welcome to avs .. i hope the new adventure works out well , and i'm sure it will , if Dennis has you as a partner you must be an ok guy :) once again , best of luck

·
Registered
658 Posts

And I want to thank Ken personally for arranging all of this. Ken has been selling my speakers, and one of the late Jeff Bagby's designs, in Taiwan for many years, and was also responsible for making one of the first Philharmonitors and the Philharmonic 2 available here, along with the recent piano black BMR's. I think we can all imagine what would have come out of the factory over there if I had tried to work out the details. Ken is a crack computer security analyst and, fortunately, lives 15 minutes from me, not in Taiwan. Thanks Ken!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ken, does Alexis still make the Rebecca loudspeaker?

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Thanks! Edited. Should work now. The "insert link" feature failed on me. If you simply copy the text of the http address, it would also work.
Thank you it works now :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
For people who don't know, Rebecca is the name of 1st generation Philharmonitor Dennis offered a few years back. She has a Fountek Neo 3 ribbon and SB 6" paper woofer. I have my own feeling about Rebecca and the new Mini. I'm sure Dennis can address the difference among the three - BMR, Philharmonitor and new Mini.

We no longer make Rebecca. I have a few pairs left destined for the Philharmonic Audio museum

Ken, does Alexis still make the Rebecca loudspeaker?

·
Registered
62 Posts
And I want to thank Ken personally for arranging all of this. Ken has been selling my speakers, and one of the late Jeff Bagby's designs, in Taiwan for many years, and was also responsible for making one of the first Philharmonitors and the Philharmonic 2 available here, along with the recent piano black BMR's. I think we can all imagine what would have come out of the factory over there if I had tried to work out the details. Ken is a crack computer security analyst and, fortunately, lives 15 minutes from me, not in Taiwan. Thanks Ken!
To full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Dennis' work :). I took full advantage of the proximity between us. I have tons of DIY speakers that are designed by Dennis. Many of these are not products but are in my library, living room, kitchen, family room, bedrooms, gyms and etc. Alexis was an adventure of DIY into the extreme to offer speakers designed by Jeff B and Dennis. They are fully DIY kits. For Taiwan's BMRs, you can see the unboxing photos from one customer (Link - All Chinese but there are lots of pictures). We intentionally honor the DIY tradition but more importantly, customers can feel the quality of components and appreciate the value they are receiving. We only have the factory assemble the BMR driver because there is a sealed compartment and special stuffing materials. One would need to pull the wire, use hot glue to seal the wire hole, put the right amount of stuffing and mount the driver. This would be too complicated for most Taiwan customers. Now Dennis has a big fan base in Taiwan.

Offering production speakers is a tough job. Each BMR is a complicated production product by speaker industry standard because of components it uses. Each speaker pays taxes to five countries in the world to help their economies:

• Raal Tweeter - Serbia
  • SB Woofer (or Scan before) - Indonesia (Mfg) and Denmark (Designed)
  • BMR - USA and China (Designed in USA, made in China)
  • Piano finish cabinet (China)
  • Crossover - Bennic of Taiwan
  • Final assembly and QA - USA

We have the freedom to pick the best components that can achieve Dennis' design goal and standard. We hope you will like the "Return of BMR and Mini" soon.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Ken, thanks for the intro and providing some perspective as to what goes into the making/cost of speakers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
To full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Dennis' work :). I took full advantage of the proximity between us. I have tons of DIY speakers that are designed by Dennis. Many of these are not products but are in my library, living room, kitchen, family room, bedrooms, gyms and etc. Alexis was an adventure of DIY into the extreme to offer speakers designed by Jeff B and Dennis. They are fully DIY kits. For Taiwan's BMRs, you can see the unboxing photos from one customer (Link - All Chinese but there are lots of pictures). We intentionally honor the DIY tradition but more importantly, customers can feel the quality of components and appreciate the value they are receiving. We only have the factory assemble the BMR driver because there is a sealed compartment and special stuffing materials. One would need to pull the wire, use hot glue to seal the wire hole, put the right amount of stuffing and mount the driver. This would be too complicated for most Taiwan customers. Now Dennis has a big fan base in Taiwan.

Offering production speakers is a tough job. Each BMR is a complicated production product by speaker industry standard because of components it uses. Each speaker pays taxes to five countries in the world to help their economies:

• Raal Tweeter - Serbia
  • SB Woofer (or Scan before) - Indonesia (Mfg) and Denmark (Designed)
  • BMR - USA and China (Designed in USA, made in China)
  • Piano finish cabinet (China)
  • Crossover - Bennic of Taiwan
  • Final assembly and QA - USA

We have the freedom to pick the best components that can achieve Dennis' design goal and standard. We hope you will like the "Return of BMR and Mini" soon.
That medium link did not work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10441 - 10460 of 10894 Posts