AVS Forum banner

10521 - 10540 of 10802 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I can't say I am a fan of the red speaker...but that burl is a VERY high end looking wrap!

·
Registered
643 Posts
So, Dennis, you're back! How does your current BMR compare with the one sold by Salk? Also, you're coming out with another larger one - how does it differ from the old Phil3?
I posted some time ago a question as to how Salk's BMR compares with their SongTowerRT and was told to ask you, since you designed both of them.
See my earlier post about how the new tower should compare with the Phil 3. I really don't have anything to add to that yet. I've reproduced it below. As for the BMR vs the ST RT, The RT is more sensitive and may play a little louder. The BMR's have broader dispersion from the lower treble on up, so the soundstage is probably wider. There might be a new base ST shortly using two ceramic woofers and the Aurum Cantus AMT. That will go much lower than the RT and at least as low as the BMR, but will have a more focused midrange sound that might be better for studio recordings. Jim hasn't heard it yet, so I can't even say whether it will go into production. Here's what I said about the Phil 3 and the BMR tower:

I'm finishing up a first working draft today. It uses the 8" Revelator from the Phil 3, two BMR mids wired in series and in an MTM configuration, and the tweet is the same as the regular BMR. It has some transmission line action, but is probably more accurately described as an exquisitely optimized bass reflex according to Paul Kittinger. It has useful response down to 25 Hz, but not much below that. Unlike the 3, it's not an open-back midrange. That would use up space needed for the woofer tuning, and it's not necessary given the extremely wide dispersion of the mids and tweet. Sensitivity should be around 88 dB, and the Revelator and in-series mids will give it a lot of power handling. The impedance looks like it's clocking in around 6 Ohm average. That's about it. I'll have to refine things, of course, and listen a lot, but it should be pretty much finalized in a week or two. Compared with the 3, it will have broader horizontal dispersion but very slightly less bass reach. That's the (small) cost for boosting the SAF up to the point where it should be welcome in most living rooms.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dennis - one question for you - there's no advantage to using two woofers in your upcoming tower? even if you don't increase the overall efficiency, i think you could get a deeper and cleaner bass response...

thanks,

doug s.

·
Registered
887 Posts
X'mas arrived early...

I think everyone doesn't mind speaker pictures so there you go. The pure, multi-coat red Mini (no wood veneer) we offered in Taiwan. On the left is a bigger curved BMR sample (we won't be offering this size). It has burl veneer with darker red for comparison. The small curved red mini lights up my room and feels like X'mas is around...

View attachment 3037861
I love the red.

·
Registered
643 Posts
dennis - one question for you - there's no advantage to using two woofers in your upcoming tower? even if you don't increase the overall efficiency, i think you could get a deeper and cleaner bass response...

thanks,

doug s.
That would be one heck of a speaker, but it would require a cabinet twice as big as the fairly large one we're already using, and it would add about $700 to the cost. Distortion would fall in the deep bass, but the actual measured extension would be the same. Adding woofers doesn't change the bass reach--it just ramps everything up or and/or increases power handling. I think one Revelator will have to do. I just listened to the prototype tower, and all I can say is that there's a reason that woofer is so expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i dunno - it sounds like it would come in at ~$4k or a bit less, and it seems that would still make it a relative bargain.

doug s.
That would be one heck of a speaker, but it would require a cabinet twice as big as the fairly large one we're already using, and it would add about $700 to the cost. Distortion would fall in the deep bass, but the actual measured extension would be the same. Adding woofers doesn't change the bass reach--it just ramps everything up or and/or increases power handling. I think one Revelator will have to do. I just listened to the prototype tower, and all I can say is that there's a reason that woofer is so expensive.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i dunno - it sounds like it would come in at ~$4k or a bit less, and it seems that would still make it a relative bargain.

doug s.

doug s.
Even I couldn't charge only $3,900/pr for this beast. First, the $700 premium I mentioned was just for the woofers. I forgot to figure in the cost of the giant cabinet, not just in terms of production cost, but also in terms of the shipping cost from over there to over here. Plus, there would go the high SAF I was aiming for. The final price would be more in the region of $6,000/pr than $3,900, which is probably what the single-woofer towers will have to sell for. That's not to say that we would never offer such a speaker, but it would have to be produced domestically and on a commission basis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dennis let me know last night that the speakers (not sure if some or all of them) were dropped off and that he'll start shipping them on Monday.

You're a rockstar Dennis for the quick turnaround time, since you mentioned you still have to install all the drivers and such.

Out of curiosity, when do you think you'll offer other finishes? Entirely dependent on demand?

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mini - the Curved Ruby Brown Walnut Cabinet

As I'm preparing the first shipment of Mini, I took some pictures. It's a bit challenging because of the piano finish. Sometimes the camera would try to focus on the reflection image vs. the actual object. I wanted to give you a feeling of the ruby dark brown finish under different light condition. The room is well lit by natural light. It is my sun room. In most situation, Mini can be passed as "black" under dim light. There you go:

The Front - this tweeter has six hex screws. This is a customized version out of AC. The regular version is rectangle. The round and oval cutout looks very nice.

The Corner - notice the continued veneer through the beautiful round over

The Side: This is Walnut...

The Back Corner: The veneer terminate in one of the back corner

The Back: This is natural lighting in action. Comparing this with the previous picture, you can see the change of the back panel.

The Other Back Corner: Under a bit different focus in the camera

The Other Corner: See the sunlight in action around the woofer and the round over

·
Registered
887 Posts
These are beautiful. But I'm panting to see the new tower!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dennis, quick question about the original Mini Phils (with the RAAL tweeter and the Zaph woofer)—what's the impedance on those?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just received my shipping notice for my Minis. Looking forwardto them and comparing to the Salk Surround 1 (CAOW1) I am currently using on my desktop.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
i am not a fan of white speakers but those are the best looking white speakers i have ever seen.
they are pretty .. if i win the lotto i'm gonna order the bmr's in that color...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm not really in the market for speakers but I do like to follow this thread.
I'm curious, are there no "boring" finishes for "boring" people like me? like matte black?

10521 - 10540 of 10802 Posts