AVS Forum banner

10741 - 10760 of 10828 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thats exactly right, it really is an issue if you make it one. I'm aware of my rooms limitations but surely my room shouldn't lessen my enjoyment of a potential BMR purchase?
Usually when users told me "close to the wall", I'd be worrying about bass reproduction, which could be a real issue in some cases. Reflection is a nice thing to have and it might not be an issue depending on an individual's taste. If it is an issue, it is much easier to fix - add a curtain, a towel, some foams that can absorb the reflection - these are cheap and easy to acquire. In your setup, bass should be OK and you can enjoy the BMR's "deep bass".

Back to the bass, after Taiwan customers post their pictures while saying how good the bass is, I guess that might not be a problem after all, at least in the pictures you saw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually when users told me "close to the wall", I'd be worrying about bass reproduction, which could be a real issue in some cases. Reflection is a nice thing to have and it might not be an issue depending on an individual's taste. If it is an issue, it is much easier to fix - add a curtain, a towel, some foams that can absorb the reflection - these are cheap and easy to acquire. In your setup, bass should be OK and you can enjoy the BMR's "deep bass".

Back to the bass, after Taiwan customers post their pictures while saying how good the bass is, I guess that might not be a problem after all, at least in the pictures you saw.
I'm using an Anthem STR preamp so I guess I could just EQ it out. ARC does a pretty good job on my current speakers.

I agree though, I definitely need some sort of absorption at that sidewall to tame those 1st reflections!

Some people love the bass reinforced effect of boundary placement.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
So do absorb or do I diffuse the sound at the sidewall? There's lots of conflicting advice online. I don't intend to absorb the bass as that would require bass traps which simply won't fit so would say, a 3 inch absorption panel be ok or should I go for a diffusor or a combination panel that does both?? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
So do absorb or do I diffuse the sound at the sidewall? There's lots of conflicting advice online. I don't intend to absorb the bass as that would require bass traps which simply won't fit so would say, a 3 inch absorption panel be ok or should I go for a diffusor or a combination panel that does both?? :unsure:
If it’s open on the other side, the absorption would even the sound out more than diffusion I’d think. I’m in the same boat and my 2” panel has helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't really think you would have a problem. Before you "treat" anything, I'd make sure it is an "issue". None of my "close wall" placement customers have bass issues. Think I'd share another of my setting. This could be similar to yours. The right speaker is at the wall corner. The wall has three windows and the blinds are always on.

This is my bedroom setting. I don't have any issue with sound stage / imaging. The vocal is always dead center and the speakers always disappear. The speakers (I named her Lyra) uses 7" Scanspeak Revelator woofer in a mass load transmission line, mated with Fountek Neo 3 ribbon tweeter. Crossover was designed by our beloved Dennis. This was my reference system before my Philharmonic 3 was built. So it could be the blinds/windows combination is less reflective than a dry wall or the curtain above help or it is not an issue at all. Your miles would vary.

Fountek has good dispersion and can cross lower than Raal. But it cannot match the dispersion and the transparency of BMR.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Please excuse the mess my desk is right now, as well as the poor photo quality, but in my nearfield setup I have one speaker right up against the left wall and the other open. I did not notice any affect in imaging (the timing difference is close) but it does affect tonality, as there is more reflected energy on one side than the other. 1" panels took care of this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Please excuse the mess my desk is right now, as well as the poor photo quality, but in my nearfield setup I have one speaker right up against the left wall and the other open. I did not notice any affect in imaging (the timing difference is close) but it does affect tonality, as there is more reflected energy on one side than the other. 1" panels took care of this.

View attachment 3047239
What panels do you use?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't really think you would have a problem. Before you "treat" anything, I'd make sure it is an "issue". None of my "close wall" placement customers have bass issues. Think I'd share another of my setting. This could be similar to yours. The right speaker is at the wall corner. The wall has three windows and the blinds are always on.

This is my bedroom setting. I don't have any issue with sound stage / imaging. The vocal is always dead center and the speakers always disappear. The speakers (I named her Lyra) uses 7" Scanspeak Revelator woofer in a mass load transmission line, mated with Fountek Neo 3 ribbon tweeter. Crossover was designed by our beloved Dennis. This was my reference system before my Philharmonic 3 was built. So it could be the blinds/windows combination is less reflective than a dry wall or the curtain above help or it is not an issue at all. Your miles would vary.

Fountek has good dispersion and can cross lower than Raal. But it cannot match the dispersion and the transparency of BMR.

View attachment 3047200
Those speakers are beautiful mate!! What make/model are they? I'm not familiar with those at all.... They look like a piece of art just stood there! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts

View attachment 3047239
Hi again... :)

So you used just 1"panels at your 1st reflection point... Now that is definitely "wife friendly"... Just have to pick the right colour...

What is the purpose of your front wall panels? Is that for SBIR?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one. It's not about measurements per se, it's mainly about transparency. Speakers don't make music. They reproduce it.
I'm not really sure I'm disagreeing with you though. My knock on the trend of "racing to get the flattest response possible" is that consumers who want a bit of variety are losing out. Same way they are losing when it comes to tone controls, but that's a different argument for a different day. I think your designs do fun and accuracy well, hence is why I am asking.

So as a designer, is it not possible to get decent transparency from a larger 8" or 10" woofer in a bigger box two-way configuration? I'm not talking perfect transparency, but with the mind that a little bit of that will be sacrificed in order to add a bit of "fun" back into the equation.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not really sure I'm disagreeing with you though. My knock on the trend of "racing to get the flattest response possible" is that consumers who want a bit of variety are losing out. Same way they are losing when it comes to tone controls, but that's a different argument for a different day. I think your designs do fun and accuracy well, hence is why I am asking.

So as a designer, is it not possible to get decent transparency from a larger 8" or 10" woofer in a bigger box two-way configuration? I'm not talking perfect transparency, but with the mind that a little bit of that will be sacrificed in order to add a bit of "fun" back into the equation.
By "fun" are your referring mainly to mid-bass slam? Other than that, I don't think there's any trade-off between accuracy and fun. I have been working on a "fun" speaker using mods for the BIC Lease Breaker, but it's a gynormous 3-way with a 15" woofer. I figured that puppy would generate slam and party fun if anything could, but frankly I'm not hearing much out of it. I would be perfectly happy and willing to build a classic 2-way using the 8" SB Acoustics ceramic woofer crossed at 2k to the SB 1" ceramic tweeter. I'm sure it would measure perfectly on axis, and acceptably off axis, but as always the problem would be cabinets. That's the hangup on just about any design I'm considering. If you have them built in small quantity domestically, you price yourself out of the market. If you have it done Over There, you have to order at least 100 pieces.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My knock on the trend of "racing to get the flattest response possible" is that consumers who want a bit of variety are losing out.
Interesting POV. I think bandwidth and linear response have been on designer's minds ever since moving coil loudspeakers were invented. As the materials & drivers have improved, it's easier to achieve than ever before.

I'm with you though on the wide baffle speakers. They look cool and evoke a sense of nostalgia, but as mentioned, good modern designs are more transparent.

10741 - 10760 of 10828 Posts