AVS Forum banner

10761 - 10780 of 10829 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
What panels do you use?
Those are Acoustimac, 1" on the sidewalls, 2" on the front wall, and a big wool comforter in the corner as a bass trap.

I generally use GIK, but Acoustimac had a faster delivery on these and I like their default fabric a bit better.

Reactions: Internova1

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm using an Anthem STR preamp so I guess I could just EQ it out. ARC does a pretty good job on my current speakers.

I agree though, I definitely need some sort of absorption at that sidewall to tame those 1st reflections!

Some people love the bass reinforced effect of boundary placement.....
Oh - you have EQ and you are using it. Problem solved. :)

I was going to suggest that but some people has a religious thing on EQ. I used EQ in my hometheater where it's all dry walls and with tons of reflections. I love them.

The Scan Revelator tower is a home built speaker. It does have multi-layer of "hand" applied finish and they are also "made in America". However, they are far away from the piano finish on Minis and BMRs. Lyra was my ultimate speakers before Philharmonic 3 so you can imagine how much time I spent on finishing the cabinets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Those are Acoustimac, 1" on the sidewalls, 2" on the front wall, and a big wool comforter in the corner as a bass trap.

I generally use GIK, but Acoustimac had a faster delivery on these and I like their default fabric a bit better.
How heavy are they? How did you mount them?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh - you have EQ and you are using it. Problem solved. :)

I was going to suggest that but some people has a religious thing on EQ. I used EQ in my hometheater where it's all dry walls and with tons of reflections. I love them.

The Scan Revelator tower is a home built speaker. It does have multi-layer of "hand" applied finish and they are also "made in America". However, they are far away from the piano finish on Minis and BMRs. Lyra was my ultimate speakers before Philharmonic 3 so you can imagine how much time I spent on finishing the cabinets.
Believe me, I would rather not use any EQ at all as I would love to hear the speakers as naturally as possible but small, English living rooms are not the best environment for perfect sound reproduction! :(

I only EQ up to the schroeder frequency of my room (around 500hz) and leave the speaker to just "play" after that....

I find too much EQ (as in, EQ to 20khz) just completely kills the sound.

Those speakers are something else my friend. I could happily just sit and look at them let alone listen to them! :D

I've just sent Jim at Salk Sound an email regarding some BMR's as I'll buy them if the shipping and subsequent import tax doesn't kill the deal.... I really hope not!!

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dennis,

Unrelated question (somewhat) but I wanted your professional opinion:

Why do so few manufacturers make larger 2-way (or even 3 way) bookshelves anymore?

I ask because i just picked up a set of vintage Marantz Imperial 6G's (they get good reviews, still to this day). Original owner and they haven't been abused. I was getting ready to dig into them (check everything out, replace the caps, restain the walnut, repaint the fronts, etc) but decided to give them a listen first. I was absolutely blown away at what an original late 70's speaker was (still) capable of. The 10" paper woofer puts out effortless bass, the tweeter has smooth highs, etc. Just a pleasant listening experience and all powered by a vintage Technics 48WPC receiver I have been working on (not even my best sounding vintage receiver, it was just on the bench at the moment).

This is a simple 8ohm speaker with decent sensitivity...nothing demanding like the current Wharfedale Linton that dives well below 4ohms (even though they list it as 6ohms, it needs a capable amp to drive it).

With all of the people seeking out vintage receivers/amps, have you ever considered designing a "modern" version of this type of speaker? The market is so thin in that area...seems like someone could make a decent bit of money if they could nail the sound and the look.

View attachment 3046752
Have you looked at the Dynaco A26? I think Madisound is selling the kit.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I love EQ.

But it can't eliminate reflections.

Plenty of panels available that should be spouse-approvable. You could maybe even find a close match to the wall color so it doesn't even look like there's an absorber there.

Is it possible to rotate the setup so it's diagonal?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The only real reason I'm bringing the AA back is bass response. I'm not aware of any other speaker in this price range that goes as low and is also highly linear overall. So their main advantage will only be realized when run full range for dedicated music reproduction. So it's in that sense that I think they're a better speaker than the 530. In, say, home theater, it's a closer call.
What is the AA? Is that the tower BMR?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've just sent Jim at Salk Sound an email regarding some BMR's as I'll buy them if the shipping and subsequent import tax doesn't kill the deal.... I really hope not!!
It might be a lot less if you order the BMR kit and if you can't put it together, have a local woodworker put the cabinet together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love EQ.

But it can't eliminate reflections.

Plenty of panels available that should be spouse-approvable. You could maybe even find a close match to the wall color so it doesn't even look like there's an absorber there.

Is it possible to rotate the setup so it's diagonal?
I'll fire an email over to GIK. See what they suggest.... (y) although I've noticed that you guys have a ton more choice available to you.... Might have to emigrate! :D

I'm afraid that position is final. Its a compromised location for sure but it's all I have to work with right now.

If only that fireplace wasn't there.... (n)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Parts Express curved cabinets had exactly the same round over as the rectangular. Nothing is cast in stone yet, but the tower cabinet will probably bow out and increase the radius of the round over significantly.
Hi Dennis, I was thinking again about the BMR tower, and am curious about the cost. In rough number it seems to me the cost of the drivers would be about $400 more than the current BMR, mostly due to the 22W/4851T (if that's the right one) pricing I see at Madisound, plus a bit more for the 2 extra BMR drivers. I'd guess the xover may cost a bit more too, particularly for the higher low pass for the woofer. As the current BMR kit costs about $1k at Meniscus, could a BMR tower kit be priced about $1,500-$1,700? I remember you saying you may not do a kit, but here's my $.02. It sounds like from what you mentioned earlier the complete package with the inevitably beautiful tower boxes will be in the $4k area, which I suspect will price it out of the reach of many of the speakerbuilder community (myself included). I'd expect 99% of the kit builders would be building a plain 'ol rectangular box, so there is some differentiation from your full system offering with the beautiful curved cabs. However, if you decide to not offer a kit, I fully understand, you deserve to make some actual profit from all of your hard work over the years!

Just had another thought, what if you did like a GoFundMe type initial offering at a lower introductory price? Require payment upfront, which would fund purchase of a container or crate of the cabs from China and drivers. Then us early adapters on kitbuilder budgets could get in on pricing we could possibly afford, and spread the word/sound about these expectedly great systems for marketing of regular (still bargain) price systems. I'd certainly be willing to present a pair at an Atlanta Audio club meeting, which is always looking for interesting audio products to show. I've been fairly involved with the group for about 30 years, and I'm sure I could get into the demo schedule. That is once we've got out of the Covid of course.

Any, sorry for the long ramble, one last thing, my vote is for natural walnut colored veneer, not red colored.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Dennis, I was thinking again about the BMR tower, and am curious about the cost. In rough number it seems to me the cost of the drivers would be about $400 more than the current BMR, mostly due to the 22W/4851T (if that's the right one) pricing I see at Madisound, plus a bit more for the 2 extra BMR drivers. I'd guess the xover may cost a bit more too, particularly for the higher low pass for the woofer. As the current BMR kit costs about $1k at Meniscus, could a BMR tower kit be priced about $1,500-$1,700? I remember you saying you may not do a kit, but here's my $.02. It sounds like from what you mentioned earlier the complete package with the inevitably beautiful tower boxes will be in the $4k area, which I suspect will price it out of the reach of many of the speakerbuilder community (myself included). I'd expect 99% of the kit builders would be building a plain 'ol rectangular box, so there is some differentiation from your full system offering with the beautiful curved cabs. However, if you decide to not offer a kit, I fully understand, you deserve to make some actual profit from all of your hard work over the years!

Just had another thought, what if you did like a GoFundMe type initial offering at a lower introductory price? Require payment upfront, which would fund purchase of a container or crate of the cabs from China and drivers. Then us early adapters on kitbuilder budgets could get in on pricing we could possibly afford, and spread the word/sound about these expectedly great systems for marketing of regular (still bargain) price systems. I'd certainly be willing to present a pair at an Atlanta Audio club meeting, which is always looking for interesting audio products to show. I've been fairly involved with the group for about 30 years, and I'm sure I could get into the demo schedule. That is once we've got out of the Covid of course.

Any, sorry for the long ramble, one last thing, my vote is for natural walnut colored veneer, not red colored.
Right woofer--wrong impedance. I'm using the 8-ohm version, which is only 1 dB less sensitive and makes crossover much easier. The main cost difference over the BMR monitor would be the cabinet cost, including manufacturing cost and shipping cost from Over There. Pricing is not set, nor is cabinet finish. The tower would be intended primarily for the domestic market, and we would not be walking a tightrope between finish tones that appeal to both sides of the Pacific. I personally would favor a dark, rich brown with something this large. As for kits, I'm kind of down on them. There are too many quality control issues that are difficult to control. But I would probably be willing to share the crossover schematics withr those willing and able to take something like this on.

10761 - 10780 of 10829 Posts