AVS Forum banner

10801 - 10820 of 10905 Posts

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
What ever happen to the company that made those NEOs? BG radia or something like that...

·
Registered
659 Posts
What ever happen to the company that made those NEOs? BG radia or something like that...
I'm not sure of the details. I think they were taken over by another company that either sells the Neo's OEM or in their own speakers. When word first got out that the original company was closing down 3rd party sales, Parts Express arranged to have the drivers manufactured for them by someone else. The one's I've bought all seem faithful to the original.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I think they use to have some speakers for sale at AV express just prior to going under, maybe 10 years ago

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Right And the "BBC" dip is unrelated to the normal downward slope of the room response. The whole issue is very controversial and is swamped by other factors. I normally wouldn't even consider lowering the anechoic response in the highs, but the BMR's are very unusual speakers in terms of the evenness and breadth of its horizontal dispersion. Further, while it's true that the ear is particularly sensitive to frequencies in the 3 kHz region, that's just as true when you go to a live concert, or listen to someone playing an instrument or singing in your living room. The purpose of a loudspeaker is to recreate the live experience, not doctor it. Playback at very low volumes is another issue, and one that should be addressed at the line level, not speaker level, if at all.
Problem being is that most recorded music is mastered in a way that brings out characteristics that don't necessarily exist if you were listening to them live and/or unplugged. So a "flat" loudspeaker and a "flat" amp (with no tone controls) will make a lot of music somewhat fatiguing to listen to. It's true to the source you are listening from, but it is true to the actual source?

I could see where it'd be a design conundrum for a speaker designer given today's marketplace. Especially when (some) folks put so much into frequency curves and not so much into actually listening to the speaker itself (and other outside influences).

I don't think I've ever been to a live (unplugged) concert and came away with fatigue. Rock concerts though with the huge Peaveys, yeah...I gotta bring earplugs because it's a boatload of midrange and screeching highs. I certainly don't want to recreate that in my home. And let's be honest...most folks do not listen at "live" levels all the time so it becomes a moot point if you do not. That's why it's rather disappointing that a lot of amp manufacturers have moved away from the loudness contour option.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Problem being is that most recorded music is mastered in a way that brings out characteristics that don't necessarily exist if you were listening to them live and/or unplugged. So a "flat" loudspeaker and a "flat" amp (with no tone controls) will make a lot of music somewhat fatiguing to listen to. It's true to the source you are listening from, but it is true to the actual source?

I could see where it'd be a design conundrum for a speaker designer given today's marketplace. Especially when (some) folks put so much into frequency curves and not so much into actually listening to the speaker itself (and other outside influences).

I don't think I've ever been to a live (unplugged) concert and came away with fatigue. Rock concerts though with the huge Peaveys, yeah...I gotta bring earplugs because it's a boatload of midrange and screeching highs. I certainly don't want to recreate that in my home. And let's be honest...most folks do not listen at "live" levels all the time so it becomes a moot point if you do not. That's why it's rather disappointing that a lot of amp manufacturers have moved away from the loudness contour option.
It's certainly true that a crappy recording will sound crappy on an accurate speaker. But there's no way to build a passive speaker that will automatically correct for whatever sins the recording engineer has committed, unless every engineer committed the same sin.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Yes, but as best I can tell, you cannot buy the speaker shown on the main page. It is not listed under their products for sale...

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I would mind hearing Dennis or other thoughts about Soulburner's question about the multitweeter speaker shown on the main page and potential advantages and issues with a speaker of that type of design.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would mind hearing Dennis or other thoughts about Soulburner's question about the multitweeter speaker shown on the main page and potential advantages and issues with a speaker of that type of design.
Perhaps it involves some witchery... ;)
I'm thinking of Bessel Arrays and tinkering with that concept similar to the type of stuff Eric at Tekton does with his "mid-range" tweeter arrays. Just spitballin' here. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Finally got a moment to google BG radia and I guess they do still exist, but look like they now specialize in in wall speakers.
They don't actually exist.

The company that runs that website bought up a bunch of the remaining stock of the lower-end in-walls when BG Radia went out of business.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Okay, that makes sense why everything is out of stock!

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I am late to the game but I just saw that the Philharmonic BMR is back with a new woofer! I had thought the original used a 7" driver, how does this one compare? I hope to upgrade to the BMR at some point, curly walnut with dark walnut stain from Salk is my dream!

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I am late to the game but I just saw that the Philharmonic BMR is back with a new woofer! I had thought the original used a 7" driver, how does this one compare? I hope to upgrade to the BMR at some point, curly walnut with dark walnut stain from Salk is my dream!
Good choice. Really beautiful finish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good point about the live concert comparison, but I hear more bass; breathy, tactile presence at a concert than I hear from most speakers. It seems mid to higher frequencies are better, more accurately reproduced by typical speaker drivers, but it's much harder to move the air in the lower frequencies like I hear with live music. Perhaps it's the physics, most lower frequencies are generated by larger structures; drums, acoustic double bass, piano fretboard, etc. I think it's much harder to realistically reproduce these with the relatively small drivers in a standard type speaker, the smaller the driver, the further excursion required out to move the equivalent air for an approximation of the sound wave.

My KEF LS50s are a prime example, they sound quite good for most music until you get significant LF requirements. They can put out an amazing amount of sound for the size of the midbass driver, but its LF output doesn't sound convincing to me. When I close my eyes and listen, and try to hear what things sound most like, and least like, what the real instruments would sound like in a room, it's mostly the LF that sounds least convincing to me for most (good) speakers. I've never heard the Phil 3s, but years ago heard a Fried transmission line speaker that put out wonderful, rich, deep, effortless bass. But pretty low WAF for these typically huge speakers...

When I go the the symphony, I always prefer to be up closer that the "optimal" front orchestra seats, to hear the music more viscerally. (and also to check out the artists more closely ;-)

Here's a question, I wonder if most live concerts (from classical to rock) actually measure a flat frequency response if you had a spectrum analyser there to measure? I really have no idea, never tried to measure it. I sing in a renaissance choral group, and have recorded our concerts with decent flash disk recorders and mikes, and I always find the recorded sound much drier than the actual experience in the concert hall, so I always EQ the bass up for the CDs I burn for the group. But I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable folks than me on this in this group. Sorry this has wandered a bit off topic, if I should post in another forum please LMK.
A spl graph is a test to see how your speakers reproduce a known and easy to analyze pattern (flat). It is a scientific process to test the accuracy of your speaker. NOTHING people want to listen will produce a flat graph.

·
Registered
659 Posts
As far as the two woofs goes, it's 6.02 of one, 5.98 of the other, and I'm not sure which is which. Just looking at them, you would expect the ScanSpeak to go lower and play a lot louder. But it doesn't go any lower than the SB, and there's not that much difference in power handling. I very slightly prefer the overall sound of the new version--the on axis response is a bit smoother because the SB's breakup modes are much higher than the Scan's. Could I pass a blind test? Probably not. Some people think the Scan is Ugly. Some don't like white cones. It may come down more to aesthetics than performance. I haven't discussed this with Jim, but I'm sure he could build either version. Finally, the white woof also comes in black, so that option is also in the mix.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as the two woofs goes, it's 6.02 of one, 5.98 of the other, and I'm not sure which is which. Just looking at them, you would expect the ScanSpeak to go lower and play a lot louder. But it doesn't go any lower than the SB, and there's not that much difference in power handling. I very slightly prefer the overall sound of the new version--the on axis response is a bit smoother because the SB's breakup modes are much higher than the Scan's. Could I pass a blind test? Probably not. Some people think the Scan is Ugly. Some don't like white cones. It may come down more to aesthetics than performance. I haven't discussed this with Jim, but I'm sure he could build either version. Finally, the white woof also comes in black, so that option is also in the mix.
Dennis, have you finished tweaking/voicing the rectangular box BMR tower xover?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Thanks Dennis!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never tried any short cuts on the center channel. I certainly wouldn't stick with the stock tweeter. That's what sucks--not the crossover itself. I have a C22 here, and I'll see whether there's a short cut that will help using the Vifa tweeter. But a full improvement would require my new crossover.
Hello again Dennis,

Apologies for the follow up as I know you quiet busy with other projects, however just wanna know if you got the chance to see what can be done on the shortcut for the x-over.
Also I have another question; if I follow your original mod for the tweeter, do I also needs to mod the x-over of the woofers of the center too? Or I can keep the existing one and just mod the twetter and twetter x-over ?

Much appreciated!

10801 - 10820 of 10905 Posts