AVS Forum banner

11201 - 11220 of 11261 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Internova or Dennis posted one several potential finishes and grill options...I went back about pages, but could find the post in THIS thread where they did show some possible finished. I did, however, find this photo I downloaded showing a poor attempt to photoshop a possible grille option on the speaker!
Please note the grill on this photo was drawn by me as a potential grill that could be added View attachment 3076650
I expect to have actual finished pictures Feb 2021. 11 layers of piano finish have completed and is currently in the last layer (12 total). I'm waiting for the crossover boards to be completed before we can ship them. They will be shipped before the Chinese New Year. Taiwan will be delivered in Feb while US in March. (Taiwan has sold out the initial tower offering in Feb, US has a few pre-orders).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happy New Year!

I shipped the last single piece of BMR for some lucky person's center channel today. Before the next batch and the real curved burl BMR arrives, this is a teaser for the curve sample with the lovely white woofer. The light is bad because it sits on my desk.

View attachment 3076354
Those look gorgeous! Will those be available for sale in the U.S? I'm a little confused on what the finishing options will end up being. Definitely interested in some curved ones 🤤

·
Registered
763 Posts
I expect to have actual finished pictures Feb 2021. 11 layers of piano finish have completed and is currently in the last layer (12 total). I'm waiting for the crossover boards to be completed before we can ship them. They will be shipped before the Chinese New Year. Taiwan will be delivered in Feb while US in March. (Taiwan has sold out the initial tower offering in Feb, US has a few pre-orders).
I believe the towers headed for Taiwan will have a dark tint, while the ones coming here will be natural. I'm not sure whether the coloring on the computer generated picture is accurate for either version. Perhaps Ken can comment on that.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
One has to be careful about one's bird cage! :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
If I plan to cross over at 80 and run a 250W amp on them. Would I need the towers to run them at 100dB? I currently have Paradigm 75Fs which are super sensitive.

I’m missing some punch at about 90 to 100Hz.

The 6” vs 7” driver has me “concerned”. So I’m trying to decide between the BMR current ScanSpeak vs new BMR SBA woofer vs BMR tower. Also, I’ll be running one of them as a center
100 dB at the listening position? I'm not sure either the Scan or SB versions of the monitor could deliver on that. The tower probably could.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
100 dB at the listening position? I'm not sure either the Scan or SB versions of the monitor could deliver on that. The tower probably could.
On my AVR setting.

How about 95? Or 90?

typically I listen at -15dB tops. Very rarely -10dB and Dirac certainly applies cut to the EQ and I cross over at 80hz. Which has me questioning if I should just do monitors instead of the towers.

do you anticipate differences between the SB and the SS?

·
Registered
763 Posts
On my AVR setting.

How about 95? Or 90?

typically I listen at -15dB tops. Very rarely -10dB and Dirac certainly applies cut to the EQ and I cross over at 80hz. Which has me questioning if I should just do monitors instead of the towers.

do you anticipate differences between the SB and the SS?
You're referring to the 8" SS Revelator on the tower? There isn't much comparison. Maybe I'm not understanding your question.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You're referring to the 8" SS Revelator on the tower? There isn't much comparison. Maybe I'm not understanding your question.
Sorry about that. Perhaps I’m mixed up too.

I thought there are new BMR monitors with a 6” SB Accoustics woofer, old BMR with a SS 7” woofer, and I thought the new BMR tower had 7” SS woofer. But it looks like they have an 8” revelator.
I’m trying to figure out which one to get but I also need a “matching” center. I wasn’t sure because I cross stuff over at 80 if a tower would be necessary but I would like stuff to slam at 100 Hz which it currently does not on my Paradigms

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry about that. Perhaps I’m mixed up too.

I thought there are new BMR monitors with a 6” SB Accoustics woofer, old BMR with a SS 7” woofer, and I thought the new BMR tower had 7” SS woofer. But it looks like they have an 8” revelator.
I’m trying to figure out which one to get but I also need a “matching” center. I wasn’t sure because I cross stuff over at 80 if a tower would be necessary but I would like stuff to slam at 100 Hz which it currently does not on my Paradigms
Does the center have to slam as well? The towers will have plenty of wham and slam at 100 Hz, particularly with a sub. A single BMR used as a center will do very well, but probably better on dialog than on the end of the world.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Does the center have to slam as well? The towers will have plenty of wham and slam at 100 Hz, particularly with a sub. A single BMR used as a center will do very well, but probably better on dialog than on the end of the world.
I’d be good with that. Would the one with a scanspeak design or the sbdesign be better?

what’s the release date on the towers?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Love it! Can't wait to see them!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I’d be good with that. Would the one with a scanspeak design or the sbdesign be better?

I've got a set of the original BMRs with Scanspeak drivers but had Selah Audio put together a center channel "kit" for me when Dennis was on hiatus that has two of the black SB woofers, along with a BMR mid and RAAL tweeter. Since you said you were going to cross them over at 80hz, it's not going to make much difference IMO. I don't have any issues with the center lacking "slam" on HT or multi-channel music. As you can tell from my sig, I run two Rythmik L22s in my system.

·
Registered
763 Posts

I don't think there would be that much difference with a sub, and if you went with the Scan Jim Salk would have to make it, and that would add substantially to the cost and turnaround time. The release date for the tower and the next batch of BMR's is March 1

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey everyone, its been a long time since I've posted in here. Thanks you Dennis for making awesome speakers at super affordable prices. I have absolutely loved listening to the BMR's every day for the past five years. I previously owned the (AlexisSound) Philharmonitors and those speakers opened my eyes to how you can have incredible detail with a very smooth sound. I enjoyed the sound of the Philharmonitors a lot and noticed Salk made very attractive cabinets, I knew Salk BMR's would be worth it.

I had one of the first Salk BMR pairs that were made around November 2015, It was definitely one of the hardest waits of my entire life. When I got the speakers back in 2015 I was using the BMR's in a very small basement room with concrete floor, had them sitting on a computer desk close together and up against the back wall. Despite the poor acoustical properties of the room the BMR's still preformed nicely. A year later I moved and was able to get the BMR's into a bigger nicer room and had Gwiz build custom speaker stands. I could easily slide the speakers around on my carpet, which allowed me to experiment with positioning when listening to music. I slide the speakers out towards the center of the room every time I have serious listening session. Those couple things made a big difference for my sound.

Over the past year or two I've also been adding acoustic treatment into the room. I've got the front, back and side walls treated, It's made me realize how important acoustics and positioning is. The treatment and change of position when listening to music allowed the BMR's to maximize their clarity and detail. Almost a year ago, I added a Rythmik S18 sealed sub into the setup and now the sound for me is pretty close to perfection. Thanks again Dennis for making it happen for those of with us without deep wallets.

(click for full size)
Resized_20190813_011003.jpeg Resized_20210110_095258.jpeg Resized_20190813_011425 (1).jpeg Resized_20210110_094901.jpeg Resized_20210110_095224.jpeg Resized_20210110_095632.jpeg

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know but maybe you can email Dennis and ask if he can piggyback a Mini Monitor onto their March shipment. I would imagine though that you would have to put down a big deposit.

Or maybe Dennis can collect a bunch of people who want the Mini and add a bunch to the March order?

I'm down for that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm down for that.
I have one pair of Mini's that someone returned for a pair of BMR's. Some local Yokels want to borrow them along with my personal BMR's this coming weekend, but then they would be available. I'll probably send my BMR's up the East Coast to speed up the BMR Road Show. The first pair survived Texas and have been in Louisiana this past week, due for a take-off to Florida on Tuesday.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Hey everyone, its been a long time since I've posted in here. Thanks you Dennis for making awesome speakers at super affordable prices. I have absolutely loved listening to the BMR's every day for the past five years. I previously owned the (AlexisSound) Philharmonitors and those speakers opened my eyes to how you can have incredible detail with a very smooth sound. I enjoyed the sound of the Philharmonitors a lot and noticed Salk made very attractive cabinets, I knew Salk BMR's would be worth it.

I had one of the first Salk BMR pairs that were made around November 2015, It was definitely one of the hardest waits of my entire life. When I got the speakers back in 2015 I was using the BMR's in a very small basement room with concrete floor, had them sitting on a computer desk close together and up against the back wall. Despite the poor acoustical properties of the room the BMR's still preformed nicely. A year later I moved and was able to get the BMR's into a bigger nicer room and had Gwiz build custom speaker stands. I could easily slide the speakers around on my carpet, which allowed me to experiment with positioning when listening to music. I slide the speakers out towards the center of the room every time I have serious listening session. Those couple things made a big difference for my sound.

Over the past year or two I've also been adding acoustic treatment into the room. I've got the front, back and side walls treated, It's made me realize how important acoustics and positioning is. The treatment and change of position when listening to music allowed the BMR's to maximize their clarity and detail. Almost a year ago, I added a Rythmik S18 sealed sub into the setup and now the sound for me is pretty close to perfection. Thanks again Dennis for making it happen for those of with us without deep wallets.

(click for full size)
View attachment 3077113 View attachment 3077114 View attachment 3077118 View attachment 3077115 View attachment 3077117 View attachment 3077116
I know some people say that looks don't matter, it how a speaker sounds that is important. Well, that is only true on a budget and even then, you can get a compromise of a speaker that sound and looks pretty good. But the combination of Murphy sound and Salk look is, well, pretty spectacular!
For me, life is too short to have UGLY speakers in my room...even my theater, which is mostly dark, has budget speakers that look damn nice (the EMP impression speakers)!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I know some people say that looks don't matter, it how a speaker sounds that is important. Well, that is only true on a budget and even then, you can get a compromise of a speaker that sound and looks pretty good. But the combination of Murphy sound and Salk look is, well, pretty spectacular!
For me, life is too short to have UGLY speakers in my room...even my theater, which is mostly dark, has budget speakers that look damn nice (the EMP impression speakers)!
Is that akin to a hot girl......... hot looks make up for lack of personality?:D

·
Registered
333 Posts

(click for full size)
View attachment 3077113 View attachment 3077114 View attachment 3077118 View attachment 3077115 View attachment 3077117 View attachment 3077116
Awesome! They look great!

11201 - 11220 of 11261 Posts