AVS Forum banner

11221 - 11240 of 11260 Posts

·
Registered
i don't even have a tv!
72 Posts
don't sell the mini's until the local yokels get a listen; one of 'em may be quite interested... 😉

thanks,

doug s.
I have one pair of Mini's that someone returned for a pair of BMR's. Some local Yokels want to borrow them along with my personal BMR's this coming weekend, but then they would be available. I'll probably send my BMR's up the East Coast to speed up the BMR Road Show. The first pair survived Texas and have been in Louisiana this past week, due for a take-off to Florida on Tuesday.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The curved cabinet is still a really nice look with the BMR. But do people really like the super-high gloss finish on a wood cabinet though? I guess I'm more of a "satin" type of guy when it comes to natural wood/veneer.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The curved cabinet is still a really nice look with the BMR. But do people really like the super-high gloss finish on a wood cabinet though? I guess I'm more of a "satin" type of guy when it comes to natural wood/veneer.
I confess I think it's gorgeous.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Yes, glossy or not...that veneer is incredible. I don't mind the glossy either...

Reactions: BluesDaddy56

·
Registered
9 Posts
I, too, prefer a satin finish because it tends to show the grain characteristics much better and doesn't make the cabinet look like it's plastic. Still, to each their own.
Paul

·
Registered
456 Posts
Question Denis,
Is the new BMR available in a kit from meniscus?
Yes, and cabinet flat packs are available from Speakerhardware . com

Reactions: jcr159

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes, and cabinet flat packs are available from Speakerhardware . com
I believe the OP was asking about a kit for the new BMR with the SB Acoustics woofer. I did send the plans for the new speaker to Meniscus Mark, but I don't think he's put a commercial kit together yet. It's worth emailing him, though. The only flat packs I know of are for the old version with the ScanSpeak woofer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I, too, prefer a satin finish because it tends to show the grain characteristics much better and doesn't make the cabinet look like it's plastic. Still, to each their own.
Paul
"eye of the beholder" type stuff for sure. I personally think the mirror finish highlights the grain structure and generally has a more upscale aura to it. But finger prints are a pain.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I believe the OP was asking about a kit for the new BMR with the SB Acoustics woofer. I did send the plans for the new speaker to Meniscus Mark, but I don't think he's put a commercial kit together yet. It's worth emailing him, though. The only flat packs I know of are for the old version with the ScanSpeak woofer.
Thanks Dennis, that's exactly what I was asking. I'll put together an email.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Someone keeps bugging me for pictures with more grain details. This is another "factory level" picture. With more light but the perspective is off due to the angle. Use this with the previous one. And of course, there is also the Curved BMR, both are the same veneer and finish.

View attachment 3077806

View attachment 3077807
Oh my!!!!! Any other finish options for the tower or just veneer for now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another reason I prefer a satin finish is that it helps hide much better than glossy the small mistakes I often make in the finishing process on my DIY speakers!

"eye of the beholder" type stuff for sure. I personally think the mirror finish highlights the grain structure and generally has a more upscale aura to it. But finger prints are a pain.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Another reason I prefer a satin finish is that it helps hide much better than glossy the small mistakes I often make in the finishing process on my DIY speakers!
That's particularly a problem with piano black, which shows every tiny defect. I personally wouldn't have ordered any of those, but a lot of people really want that because it goes with any decor. Strong grained veneers are less of a problem because there's so much going on you might not see a QC slip here or there.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Man, what I wouldn't give to get that BMR in "kit" form, much like Dennis is doing with the AA+ (how's the AA+ going, BTW? My money is ready!). And those same curved BMR cabinets with that lovely veneer on them, only unfinished.

My wife hates high gloss with a passion and I can't say that I blame her as nothing in our house has that type of sheen on it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Man, what I wouldn't give to get that BMR in "kit" form, much like Dennis is doing with the AA+ (how's the AA+ going, BTW? My money is ready!). And those same curved BMR cabinets with that lovely veneer on them, only unfinished.

My wife hates high gloss with a passion and I can't say that I blame her as nothing in our house has that type of sheen on it.
It is available through meniscus. I’m going to send an email to find out about availability of The new kit driver. I will let you guys know how many kits they have available when I get More info. I need to build three for my front stage. Thinking about having my contractor build the knockdown kits for me. He is also a finish carpenter and can probably handle the work. I would’ve done it myself, but broke my hand recently that has taken me out of the game.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It is available through meniscus. I’m going to send an email to find out about availability of The new kit driver. I will let you guys know how many kits they have available when I get More info. I need to build three for my front stage. Thinking about having my contractor build the knockdown kits for me. He is also a finish carpenter and can probably handle the work. I would’ve done it myself, but broke my hand recently that has taken me out of the game.
Maybe we could order some unfinished cabinets and extra crossovers next time around for kit types. It's much more efficient to have the cabinets done by the factory than having them hand-built here or futzing around with flat packs.

11221 - 11240 of 11260 Posts