AVS Forum banner

12181 - 12200 of 12434 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have a pair of the Minis and appreciate them for their overall sound quality. There is an even newer version using a new, lower cost tweeter overseas. This is not using the AMT.
That was supposed to be a "secret"... :D The tweeter is actually not lower cost. We haven't decided what we would bring back for the domestic market. Dennis hinted earlier that if we bring it back, it would be a little different.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Really ? :0 I was guessing it was around 1200 in drivers and 1200 for cabinets, painting and shipping with 1000 left over. Looks like I was off by a bit lol
yeah.... Dennis doesn't make nearly enough on his designs... but I'm grateful we can benefit from his excellent work.

Meniscus was selling the kit for the new speakers (everything but cabinets) for about 950 per pair... flat packs for the old cabs were about 180 each (360/pair). call it 1300. you could buy Dennis' for about 1700? but for 1300, you still need to assemble crossovers, cabinets, finish cabinets... and time...

So, yeah. Dennis should charge more!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
That was supposed to be a "secret"... :D The tweeter is actually not lower cost. We haven't decided what we would bring back for the domestic market. Dennis hinted earlier that if we bring it back, it would be a little different.
Dennis was hinting around at possible changes in the minis and maybe even the aa+s a few weeks ago...if it was a secret some folks have broken the code 😺

·
Registered
161 Posts
Margin ..... is a tricky thing.

We don't really discuss the complexity of global supply chain operations. Being the "Head of Purchasing" (and production line worker level 1) for Philharmonic Audio and Alexis, I don't mind sharing a few details.

This might surprised you that I actually sell more BMR and Minis in Taiwan in the last few years. This is understandable because we did not bring BMR or Mini back to United States until late 2020. As you can expect, in March, I sell more BMR Towers in Taiwan as well. The US margin has improved a bit because of the combination of volume we were able to purchase from suppliers. Customers also benefit from this. A few years back, Dennis can only offer Black Piano BMR. If you count the available finishes now, that's amazing for a small operations like us.

That said, we are still one of the most complicated operation for a single speaker model. Take BMR for example:

• Raal tweeter from Serbia
  • Woofer from SB in Indonesia
  • XO is from Bennic of Taiwan
  • Cabinet is made in China
  • BMR is from Parts Express

Now for the BMR tower, for all of the above and replace Scanspeak with SB.

I interact with many component suppliers globally. Our cabinet factory, for example, produces a few popular speakers for big brands that I cannot disclose. All of their components are sourced in China. They ship everything to the factory and have a large scale assembly before export. Everything includes woofer, tweeters, crossover, cabinets, amplifiers, everything. This is key to reduce the cost. For BMR, we cannot do that. We have to pay import / export fees, custom fees, air / sea shipping because our components are from different places. You will see "Made in China" label in the BMR boxes - I didn't remove it. But BMR is not Made in China. I don't know where it is "Made" - if this is by final assembly, it is "Made in USA" with components from Serbia, Taiwan, China, and Indonesia.

DIY is one thing and scale is another. Although the operation is complicated, this also makes BMR and BMR Tower unique. We were able to achieve something that is cost prohibitive from big brands - They cannot afford to source so many different components for a single speaker model.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have always kept grills on my speakers, but...
The Tower is beautiful without grills. Dennis that picture belongs in the press release section of some popular audio websites. When was the last time Philharmonic Audio had a demo speaker at an audio show? That would be a reasonable alternative to a traveling Tower.
My Webmeister did the photo shoot. I can't be trusted near a camera or a router. Audio shows? Weren't those places where geeky people not really interested in buying anything gathered in cramped overheated hotel rooms to hear overpriced equipment play badly recorded program material too loudly? It's all coming back to me. I used to participate in the Capital Audio Fest until they priced me of the market.

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah.... Dennis doesn't make nearly enough on his designs... but I'm grateful we can benefit from his excellent work.

Meniscus was selling the kit for the new speakers (everything but cabinets) for about 950 per pair... flat packs for the old cabs were about 180 each (360/pair). call it 1300. you could buy Dennis' for about 1700? but for 1300, you still need to assemble crossovers, cabinets, finish cabinets... and time...

So, yeah. Dennis should charge more!
I've run the numbers a few times. If you're good with woodworking and can put a good finish on the cabinets yourself (if you care about that stuff), DIY is definitely the way to go. Otherwise, the extra money you'll pay to Dennis is MORE than worth it to get such a beautifully finished product. If I ever get a chance to buy a pair it'll definitely be from Dennis.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dennis was hinting around at possible changes in the minis and maybe even the aa+s a few weeks ago...if it was a secret some folks have broken the code 😺
Now that the secret is out, it will be nice to hear about the specifics in this thread. I wonder if the "new aa+" will be called "aa++" ? And what tweeter will be fitted?

·
Registered
360 Posts
So, BMRs bookshelves are called Alexis?
View attachment 3119664
The blog where the photos and discussions are linked should answer that... "Alexis Sound". Also, that speaker is SOOO clean. They look awesome. Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
161 Posts
So, BMRs bookshelves are called Alexis?
View attachment 3119664
Alexis is the name of my company in Taiwan. It was "Alexis Sound" before and I simplified it. "大舞" is the Mandarin name of BMR. I should have taken a picture of the tag. Well - production is busy and we're really focused on getting it right and done. ;)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
How about you take a crack at the new CT5-V with 170 more hp and a manual gearbox, along with back seats? :)
Along with alot more weight!

And to stay on topic... Go Dennis!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
JTR Noesis 215RT

:)
+1 says my Sig.... =)

That being said I will likely own a pair of the BMR's or Towers for my 2 channel system. Im really curious to compare the two.
Right now my 2 channel is the original Philharmonitors, and I really like them.

Reactions: BuddTX

·
Registered
362 Posts
+1 says my Sig.... =)

That being said I will likely own a pair of the BMR's or Towers for my 2 channel system. Im really curious to compare the two.
Right now my 2 channel is the original Philharmonitors, and I really like them.
Lucky bastard! :p
I don't have the room for those: I'd have to tear down a wall or three! I would love to hear those sometime, though! Maybe next time I'm down in the STL, I'll jack a car and take a hooride up your way. Been a very long time since I been in IA (once for a Mizzou-Hawckeye game). :D

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't have the room for those: I'd have to tear down a wall or three! I would love to hear those sometime, though! Maybe next time I'm down in the STL, I'll jack a car and take a hooride up your way. Been a very long time since I been in IA (once for a Mizzou-Hawckeye game). :D
Your more than welcome to any time!
I wish i could hear your Phil 3's, by all accounts they are outstanding!

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,537 Posts
I didn't remove it. But BMR is not Made in China. I don't know where it is "Made" - if this is by final assembly, it is "Made in USA" with components from Serbia, Taiwan, China, and Indonesia.
Pretty sure you can put "Assembled in America" or "Assembled in America of Worldwide Parts". You CAN'T put "Made in America", I'm pretty sure.
Rythmik has a similar assembly of their larger subwoofers(amp assembled of Asian, European (and maybe an American part, don't remember) parts in China, driver assembled of Chinese and American parts in China, Cabinet assembled in China, all shipped to Austin for final assembly and QC. They put "Assembled in America" on their boxes.

Maybe consider a sticker that says "Assembled in America of Serbian, Taiwanese, Chinese and Indonesian parts." that you could put on the boxes of later runs. I'm not any kind of expert, so I'd check with someone that was, but I'm pretty sure you could do something like that.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Did someone say Iowa...and Hawkeyes!?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Reactions: drh3b
12181 - 12200 of 12434 Posts