AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Philips LMS, established in January 1999, has successfully developed an LCOS panel of 1,920×1,080-pixel resolution, one of the world’s highest microdisplay resolutions thus far, and will supply the panel to Philips to begin volume production of a 55-inch, single-panel-based, rear-projection TV (RPTV) in the first quarter of next year, according to Wald J. Siskens, general manager of Philips LMS.
Zac, Zac? Are you catching this? You said you wanted a 1080p alternative :). Of course it's not a three chipper but it's got the pixels....

ron

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Well if the Philips becomes available and Toshiba still doesn't have their act together, I'd absolutely consider jumping ship. I like the way Tosh is treating me, but I've had no dealings with them before my current LCoS set, so it's not like I'm blindly loyal to them. Of course there would have to be some pretty significant price savings for me to be able to justify jumping from 3 chips to 1. But I would definitely give any 1920x1080p set a very serious look.

·
2,432 Posts
Oh no, MORE WAITING?

Is HTWAITS-2 taken? :D

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Actually... I wonder if Toshiba would use these chips, since Hitachi declined

to fill their order? Does Philips operate their business that way? Would

they consider selling the chips to Toshiba while at the same time make plans

for producing a directly competing product?

I'd love it if Tosh switched to using Philips as a supplier, just because that

would mean the wait would be SIGNIFICANTLY shortened.

Just a hope.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Philips LMS is also working with several Japanese and South Korean home electronics producers on the design-in of Philips LCOS-panel-based optical engines and expects to achieve some concrete results by the middle of next year.

Siskens sees Taiwanese projector optical engine producers as excellent candidates for OEM partnership. Having devoted so much effort and expecting great potential for further cost reduction, he has no doubt that Philips’s single-panel-based LCOS RPTVs will have a significant impact on the global market next year.
Sounds like they are actively recruiting for OEM partnerships. Who knows Zac, if you wait long enough you may end up with a Philips engine in your new Toshiba. Although it sounds like they are only intending on doing the single chip engines for the time being.

Anybody wanna bet they drop this baby right in the current Cineos box with maybe a finer pitch screen to go along with it? Oh yeah, and maybe a firmware update with the purple tint patch too :D. Sounds like they're planning on pumping them out pretty soon. 1080p Cineos? XBR Cineos? :).

ron

·
2,432 Posts
I have a question for those that may know better.

Comparing apples to apples what would look better, a 720P display being fed 720P with no conversions or a 1080P display up-ressing a 720P or 1080i signal?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would think that no matter how good your scaler is, it is still going to look better without that type of processing. Of course, I'm not one of those that know better.

The first good application for 1080p might be DVDs encoded with WM9.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
Comparing apples to apples what would look better, a 720P display being fed 720P with no conversions or a 1080P display up-ressing a 720P or 1080i signal?
I would guess the 1080p display, but we won't know that for sure until this time next year (2004) at the earliest.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
My opinion of what looks good:

Good: 720p->1080p (Toshiba's scaler)

Better: 720p native on a 720p native display

Better: 720p->1080i->1080p (Using an external scaler to go from 720p to 1080i, then letting the 1080p display deinterlace the results)

Best: 1080i->1080p (NOTICEABLY better than the rest)

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew67
but we won't know that for sure until this time next year (2004) at the earliest.
Define "we"... some of us have working 1080p displays already :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.