AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article in DigiTimes seems to state that Philips' new 1920 x 1080 LCOS panel will be in a 55" RPTV starting sometime in the first part of 2004.

The same article also sort of states they will be making 1 million LCOS panels per month -- which there is no chance at all of them doing given that the entire RPTV market is about 3.5 million units annually! -- so I'm not sure about the headline and first paragraph here....

... but it's an exciting development if true.

mark

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
An article in DigiTimes seems to state that Philips' new 1920 x 1080 LCOS panel will be in a 55" RPTV starting sometime in the first part of 2004.
Well not exactly. It seems to say that chips will be rolling off the line

come the first of the year, but a concrete light-engine development won't

be until mid-year next year. I would think that would mean it would be

2005 before there was any real consumer product.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Read closely :)

Quote:
Philips LMS, established in January 1999, has successfully developed an LCOS panel of 1,920×1,080-pixel resolution, one of the world’s highest microdisplay resolutions thus far, and will supply the panel to Philips to begin volume production of a 55-inch, single-panel-based, rear-projection TV (RPTV) in the first quarter of next year, according to Wald J. Siskens, general manager of Philips LMS.
The press release also says they plan on ramping up production capacity to one million a month by year end. I think they just want to have the capacity in place should their volume plans come to fruition. They need to be able to show their potential OEM partners that they can actually support their needs. Unlike one other LCoS chip manufacturer we know of currently ;).

Reading between the lines, there's a 55" Cineos now. I wouldn't think it would be too much trouble to drop one of the new light engines right in the existing box (and maybe pop on a finer pitch screen to take advantage of the higher resolution). Sounds like they are in the process of getting the purple tint issue resolved now too.

ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.