AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that is looking to buy this TV. I don't know alot about this type of TV (I spent months in the RPTV forum). Please help me clarify the few details that I have gathered about this TV.

2 Component inputs that support 480i/p, 540p, 1080i

1 or 2 svideo inputs

2 or more composite video inputs

1 Composite and L/R Stereo out

What happens to a 720p signal? Upconverted to 1080i??

Also, why can't I find a brick & mortar that sells the 30PW9819?

His budget is ~1,000, with $1,500 being max (must have DVI to spend max)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Branas, I just purchased the Philips 30pw850h from CompUsa about a week and a half ago. Overall I am very satisfied with it. I have comcast HDTV (Motorola DCT 6200) all 720p signals are upconverted to 1080i or downconverted to 480p depending on the settings you specify on the box. Regular cable is of course stretched to full screen and not bad once you get used to it. HDTV at 1080i is nothing less than awesome, as well are DVD's. Being able to watch both in full wide screen is such a treat. Can't wait for super bowl Sunday!! We sit about 10 ft away from this set and find that to be just about perfect for a 30". I had considered the 34pw850h from philips, but could not justify an extra 4" costing $600. We payed $899 by the way for this set, the 34" is $1499. I have heard that Costco sells this set as well, but can't confirm. Hope this helps, Scott.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Costco does indeed sell the 850H in store, for cheap I might add (though this may vary from region to region and store to store). If you can get in on that deal, I think it's worth it, but at the $900 B&M MSRP, you're friend may want to consider upgrading to Sony's 30HS510 or Toshiba's 30HF83 (both have DVI and upconvert 720p). Assuming you had an opinion on every current, 30" tube out there, I think at least one of a top 3's slots would include Sony's XBR, HS, or Toshiba's HF. The 9819 is a very nice unit from what I understand, but I can't say I've ever seen one aside from online retailers (as you mentioned).

So far as quality is concerned, I think the 850 is a nice enough set, but I'm relatively certain it doesn't upconvert 720p, and I would be surprised if it accepted it at all. However, as sgirardot mentioned (and as I'm sure you're aware), most of the HD set top boxes will do any conversions for you, so the lack of TV-side up-rezing will only be an issue if your friend plays HD-compatible Xbox games.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Orta, you are correct, it does not accept 720p, whatever stb (the DCT 6200 in my case)will do the conversion based on my settings. If I set my box to 720p I will get a blank screen. For me there were two issues in terms of purchasing this set. 1)Availability. and 2)Price. The fact that I get 10% off using my companies Compusa account helped, but I still would have pulled the trigger either way. Both the Sony and Toshiba models mentioned are around $300 more than my philips at list price. However, like Orta mentioned you will get DVI and 720p upconversion.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
if you do not mind refurb items go to electronicsnation.com and buy it from there. you will get it shipped to your door for MUCH less than the MSRP of $899 for 850h and 1200 for 9819.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I talked him into getting the Sony 30HS510 for a few hundred dollars more. I told him from the beginning the lack of DVI input would come back to haunt him on the Philips. Also, he just bought an Xbox so that was one of the reasons I was asking about the 720p input. He is very happy with the Sony, and says HD is amazing (don't we all say that once we get it!). Thanks again for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.