Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this set?

I've had it since July and have noticed a few problems I was hoping to get some advice on.

1. slight vertical geometry problem at the bottom of the screen. This is mainly noticeable when watching 4:3 content. It is clear that the lines for the veritical side bars curve in at the very bottom of the set. I have no experience at all going into a service menu of a TV. Is this something that is easily fixed or am I better off having a pro do it?

2. This next problem only happens with SD content. I haven't noticed it all with anything that's in HD. It' s a little difficult to describe, but I'll give it a shot. Mainly visible towards the sides of the TV, there will be horizontal lines if the image is blurry/out of focus. The color of the lines is whatver color the object is, but slighly darker. For example, if a shot is zoomed in shot of an actor's face - the face is what the camera is fouces on and that looks fine, but in the background, which the camera has out of focus, if it's just a brown building or something, I can see those horizontal lines. It's really tough to explain - maybe I can try and take a picture of it.

3. Ghosting. I think that's the term for what I'm talking about. If there is a football player, for example, on the screen, I can see another faint outline of the player to the right of the real image. It's very faint, but it's there. It's not always noticeable, but if I look for it, it's there. Also, if the screen is really black, lighter images stay on the screen after the image has changed.

Does anyone know if these are things that I can remedy by changing some settings? Does anyone have this set that could post what their settings are? I'm fairly confident I have the main controls set well (contrast, brightness, etc.), but, like I said, I've never messes with the service menu. Is this advisable? Would anything in that menu even help with those issues? I know geometry can be adjusted, but does anyone know anything about issues #2 and 3.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Sell it and get yourself a Sony or a Panasonic. Philips has a poor reputation for HDTV CRTs.

My first HDTV was a phiips 32" and the PQ on HD channels was terrible and SD was even worse.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 30PW8502 that is coming up on a year old. Here is what I can tell you about the set:

Geometry:

Take a look at my post below from March. It will tell you how to access and exit the service menu (SAM).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=30pw8502

Be sure to write down all values before you make any changes!

On my set I optimized geometry and overscan for the HDMI connection. However the adjustments adversely affected the composite. component and s-video connections. It seems you have to arrive at a happy medium that will work for all the inputs.

Focus:

This set had a very crisp and sharp picture when I first got it. Even SD looked very good. The picture seems to have blurred over the past few months, and I now have the ghosting you are referring to. Not really apparent on HD, but pretty noticeable over component with DVD. I notice a big difference when I compare the Philips against my Tosh and my Maxent LCD. I may pull the back off the set eventually and try adjusting the focus, hopefully that will eliminate the ghosting.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info about the service menu.

Any tips on how to actually adjust the geometry? Like I mentioned, the problem is really only at the very bottom of the screen - the vertical lines bend in a bit. I have no experience adjusting those kinds of things, so wouldn't know what to do once I get in the menu. Is it clear what settings do what once you're in there?

Overall, I really like the TV. The HD content looks really good and only has a little bit of ghosting (barely noticeable unless you're really looking for it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.