70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Based on recommendations from AVSF, I bought the following 6 months ago:

Energy Take 5.2 w/ a S8.2

Philips 34PW8520

Deonon 1803

Panasonic DVD-XP30

I've been VERY pleased with the results, but I have been unable to get one very important part working: The progressive output!

I have the XP30 plugged into the Denon using Acustic Research component calbes and then another set of AR component cables going from the Denon to the Philips. When I plug the cables from the Denon to the TV's High Def input, all I get is a bunch of scrolling lines, but in the normal component input, it's fine. I have the XP30 set to output progressive video. I do not have the audio hooked into the TV b/c I use the surround sound from the Denon. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Julian

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
If the Denon does any processing (to add on-screen displays for example) of the video signal it is most likely non-progressive only. The Denon is confused by you inputting a Progressive signal. You need to run the progressive straight into the Philips. Or switch progressive off at your XP-30 and let the Philips line double the signal.

Remember that Component connections do not guarantee 480p or progressive. If will be labeled progressive if it can handle it. Component connections were originally supplied as the color purity would be better than S-Video using 480i (interlaced).

Kurtis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello all!

As suggested, I plugged the component out of the XP30 directly into the back of the TV and I'm still getting a messed up picture :( The picture is barely recognizable and it scrolls with alternating colors.

To quote the XP30's user manual "Connect the component video (480p) input terminals on a television compatible with this unit's copy gaurd system." Is it possible that the Philips HDTV is incompatable with this?

On the TV manual there is a reference to a 2Fh type connection.... what is that? Anything special? The input on the TV says it can accept 480p/1080i BTW.

Sorry for all the newbie questions!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Some Philips HDTVs have component video inputs that are for HD video (720p or 1080i) only. They usually have a separate input that only supports 480i/480p - try switching to other component video inputs on that TV and try each one separately. I have heard of some TVs being incompatible with some model progressive DVD players, but never seen it myself - perhaps you have such a combination. I've never like Philips sets myself because they seem too finiky and had too many such limitations. I got a Toshiba HDTV that has 2 component video inputs that allow for all types of inputs on both of them, works with every model progressive DVD player I have tested (and thats a lot).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.