AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the 14:9 picture mode?

From the manual it looks like this stretch mode for 4:3 material does (1) a little bit of stretch, (2) zooms in a little (crops the top and bottom slightly), (3) leave only small black bars on the sides.

If it does all three, then I consider it the perfect compromise for showing 4:3 material on a 16:9 set. If it simply does (2) and (3) only then it is a little disappointing IMO (doing a simple zoom whould cause about 8% croping top and bottom).

I've done a similar compromise stretch mode on my computer monitor to get 16:9 material in its 4:3 shape. The results work well.

Any info would be great.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mr W.

Hi, I enjoy reading how you've helped dial in the Sammy DLP. You guys should get something from Samsung (like maybe a 507 :))!

Anyway, I have the 34pw9818 and have used the 14:9 squeeze A LITTLE BIT. It is sometimes hard to tell exactly what the Philips stretch modes are doing (search for a thread in which Azazel mentions that widescreen cuts off some of the left/right of the picture on LOTR that superzoom leaves in -- or I don't remember now, maybe superzoom cuts off a little). All I know, is I didn't expect that, but I did see it after he tipped me off, I checked it out.

But back on topic, as near as I can tell, your description seems to be exactly what I see. I am 98% sure that about the top and bottom being just a small bit cropped. I thought about using that mode as well, but decided on the Auto mode. It usually uses SuperZoom, which is the non-linear strecth that fills the entire screen (I didn't think I'd be able to stand watching a stretch, but it is pretty good). The nice thing about Auto, is when Enterprise (or other letterboxed material) comes on, it (usually) figures it out and stretches to correctly fill the screen with no distortion. The only time I've seen this not work is when the logo or something keeps the thing from stretching.

I think the PQ on this set is very good. And I don't have an HD source yet (I can only receive a FOX digital station at this time).

Greg

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg,

Thanks for replying.

I finally got to see one of the sets in the Houston area (not easy to find). I liked it a lot but the 14:9 mode had a little too much crop for me. It looked like it did stretch the image a pinch but not as much as I want. I wish it had a little more stretch and a little less crop. I might just use auto. If anyone knows how to get in the service menu, I might be able to tweak the 14:9 mode more to my likeing.

I did order the set. I will hopefully get it before New Years. It really was a toss up with the Sony. The Sony had the DVI which was tempting but I liked the image on the Philips a little more so I went with it. It is actually going to be my secondary TV when I'm not using my front projector and I can't wait to get it.

I thought long and hard about getting the Samsung 507 but the room it is going in is a little too small for it. The 43" was a thought but it is not quite as good of a deal as the 50". I purchased a refurbed 34pw9818 for less than half of the power buy price on the 507. I still like the Samsung a lot; it just wasn't suited for my viewing room.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mr W.

hi, I got my set refurb too (Harton). I've been quite happy with it so far (it's a little scary getting a refurb for something as expensive as a digital TV).

I also couldn't see paying that much more for the 43" (and the 50 was too big form me as well).

I wish KenLand would get a 617, so I would know there would be set of good tweaks available after I finish my basement and build a home theater room :).

Let us know what you think once you get it. We (the Philips owners) have not been very successful at getting Service Menu information. Maybe you can give us some hints!

Have Fun, Greg

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg,

For the most part I didn't see much that needed adjusting at the store where I saw the Philips.

I still watch a good deal of SD and I think CRT's do the best job of SD performance.

As far as the 617 is concerned, it is a completely different beast internally versus the 507 and the 437. We could not get our friend set calibrated correctly in the dark regions of the image. Blue tracking was a little weird. It also had some flickering issues with the bulb that I hope they can resolve.

It is a no go on the 617 in my opinion. The cool thing about the technology is that it is VERY VERY scaleable. Samsung could come out with a 100" version if they wanted to and it still would be less than 36" deep (i.e. still fit through doors) and would weigh less than 200 lbs. All they would need to do is slap in a bigger bulb and make a bigger cabinent.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.