Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better ?

Sony RDR-HX725 VS Philips 3570H

I am looking for a decent DVD + HDD Recorder. Main usage is to record analog video (composite) or RF. Don't care about EPG, HDMI etc ... I am getting both at almost the same price on ebay.

I want to know which one is (a) Faster (b) Sturdy / Durable (c) Stable in Operation ? ( Or simply which one is better ?
)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Good question, the Philips can almost certainly be upgraded to a bigger hard drive if desired, check out the 3575/3576 thread here for lots of info that PROBABLY applies to your UK model as well.

The Sony can record to +DL disks if you think you might want to use them for extra space.

The Philips machines here had some tuner memory problems with digital cable QAM tuning, other then that they have been pretty good machines.

I don't know a lot about that Sony so hard to say how well it holds up.

I have a couple of 3575 Philips machines here myself, one has the tuner problem, the other the dvd drive stopped working but I was able to swap the drive with the other unit, then send the dead one in under my extended warranty I paid extra for and it works OK again as well.

Not too many other users have had issues with the burner just dying, some have gotten ones where the internal cable for the drive had come loose and simply redoing the connection themselves fixed it.

The tuner problems we had probably doesn't apply to your unit so I guess it depends on which you like best, whether you might want to put in a bigger drive later, or whether DL is more important to you.

good luck. HMMM, it appears that your model philips does DL as well so I guess the choice now is the HD upgrade part
I wish our model could do DL

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphauby /forum/post/16918458

(a) Faster

The Sony has a faster burner for making high-speed lossless copies from HDD to DVD-R, the Phillips can be rather slow. The comparison is moot with R/W or DL, which always burns much slower on any machine.

Quote:
(b) Sturdy / Durable

The Sony is better-made overall with an arguably more durable sealed burner design which is slightly less picky about cheap media than the Phillips. OTOH the Phillips is pretty durable and its open-frame burner is easier to clean and get dust out of. The Phillips can be upgraded to larger HDDs, the Sony cannot, the Phillips burner might be replaceable with a similar burner culled from a cheaper DVD-only Phillips model, the Sony recorder goes to the scrap heap when its burner dies: no cost-effective way to replace it.

Quote:
(c) Stable in Operation ?

The Sonys are thought to have the better DVT-B and analog PAL tuners, but the Phillips isn't bad. The Sony has a better remote control and somewhat cleaner operating system, the Phillips can be fussy in some operations and its finalizing results can be annoying (hard to remove default "empty title" menu entries, etc.).

Quote:
( Or simply which one is better ?
)

The Sony x25 series is very highly regarded, many people are not as happy with the newer x80/x90 series that replaced it. (The x25 can have its hard drive replaced without expensive tools, the later Sonys require pricey additional service items.) Recorder preferences are very subjective, so its difficult to make black and white recommendations like you're asking. The Phillips has been in production for quite awhile so most of its bugs were long ago worked out, the Sony is similar. If they're the same price I'd probably take the Sony myself, just because its a bit more refined, but both are good recorders and if the Phillips has a feature you want thats not available on the Sony, or vice versa, you should make that your deciding factor.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/16920850

Good question, the Philips can almost certainly be upgraded to a bigger hard drive if desired, check out the 3575/3576 thread here for lots of info that PROBABLY applies to your UK model as well.
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION DOES NOT APPLY TO PHILIPS USA PRODUCTS

I don't have a Service Manual for the Philips 3570. I do have a Service Manual for European versions of the Philips 3575H/3577H and 3595H/3597H models. For whatever it's worth here is some excerpted information from that Service Manual:

1. Firmware Upgrading and other useful firmware hints

1.1. Preparation to upgrade firmware:

1. Unzip the zip-archive file

2. Start the CD Burning software and create a new CD project (data disc) with the following settings:

File system: Joliet

Format: MODE 2: CDROM XA

Recording mode: SINGLE SESSION (TRACK-AT-ONCE), FINALIZED CD

Note: Long file name is necessary for the preparation of the upgrade disc

3. Place the content of the zip-archive into the root directory of the new CD project.

4. Burn the data onto a blank CDR or CD-RW

1.2. Procedures to apply the Firmware Upgrade:

Notes: There are 2 upgrade processes supported: - Normal Upgrade and Forced Download.

For normal upgrading, power up the set, open the tray, insert the upgrade disc, close the tray and follow the on screen

instruction. For forced download upgrading, follow the procedures described below.

1. Hold the + buttons down and Power up the set.

2. The tray opens and set will display:

DOWNLOAD ->……….PUT DISC

3. Insert the prepared Upgrade CDROM and close the tray.

4. The set will display:

INIT DSC -> ………. DOWNLOAD ->.……….

The whole process takes less than 10 minutes

Note: Do not press any buttons or interrupt the mains supply during the upgrading process, otherwise the set may

become defective.

5. When the upgrade is completed the tray will open automatically and the set will display:

REMOVE

6. Close the tray and the set will display:

DONE

7. Then the software upgrade is successfully done.

1.3. How to read out the firmware version to confirm set has been upgraded:

Notes: In order to check the firmware version of the set, user version info screen should be accessed. Follow the

procedure below for checking user version info screen.

1. Power up the set

2. Press button on the Remote control and go to option

3. Then go to and choose by pressing OK.

4. The TV connected to the set will display the user version info as shown in the example below for checking software

version:

Developer name: Royal Philips

Product name (xxxx = model number): DVDRxxxxH

Official SW release number: Software Version (xx.xx = release): xx.xx (01.00 in the example above)

Version Info

Royal Philips

DVDR3570H

Software version: 01.00

Please visit our website
www.philips.com/support

for further software

updates and additional

information

5. Press button to exit.

1.4. Procedure for checking Development Version Info Screen:

Notes: For detail software information such as Slash Version, Drive Software Version, etc of the set, the

development version info screen should be accessed.

1) Power up the set

2) Press button on the Remote control and go to option

3) Then go to and choose by pressing OK.

4) When the user version info screen is appeared, press the blue key on the remote control.

5) The TV connected to the set will display the Development Version Info Screen as shown below:

Digital Board Info: (DI: Digital Board, L+06_12: Digital Board name, 73: Hardware ID for EU EPG, 1839: SW

BUILD ID for recorder application in the example)

Version Info

(c)PHILIPS 2007 Version Information:

DI L+06_12/731839 SV 11621

BE 52.07.02.17 ASP 1,18,1,10

C1_8 20070510_1309 pro lecoplusleadV1

EPG:1.00 DPMS:

Slash Version (xxxxx = version): SV xxxxx (11621 for /31 in the example above)

Drive SW Version (yy.yy = model, xx.xx = version): BE yy.yy.xx.xx (Model 52.07, Version 02.17 in the example)

ASP Software and VFD Driver Version Number: (1,18: ASP software version number, 1,10: version number of

VFD Driver

Detailed Build Information: (C1_8: Branch Information, 2007: year, 05: month, 10: date, 13: Hour, 09: minute in

the above example)

EPG:1.00 DPMS: (internal to the recorder application.)

1.5. Procedure for Formatting a HDD drive:

In case of failure the HDD is replaced by a new unformatted HDD. To prepare the new HDD for use, it must be

formatted. Follow the procedure below to format HDD.

1) Press and Hold the + key combination while powering on the mains.

2) The set will start to display “FMT KEY”, and then it will show “FMT HDD” while formatting HDD.

3) If the formatting is completed successfully, the set will display “FMT DONE”. If the formatting is failed, it

will show “FMT FAIL”.

Notes: Do not power off the set immediately when the “FMT DONE” is seen. Wait until the time or - - : - - is

displayed before powering off the set.

1.6. Procedure to Virginize the set:

Notes: All the user information will be lost after virginizing the set. Follow the procedure below to virginize the

set.

1) Press and hold down the Standby key on the front while connecting to the power outlet.

2) Release the keys when ‘STARTING’ appears on the display.

3) Follow the instructions when the set wakes up.

USE THESE PROCEDURES AT YOUR OWN RISK!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for your guidance guys. I finally bought the Sony, as it seemed in better condition and seemed better in build quality. Also when I did a little search on google, I saw too many problems with the Philips so I took a turn towards the Sony. Maybe European Philips isn't that good !

BTW, I found an interesting thread here which says the Sony uses a standard HDD, which can be replaced / upgraded.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphauby /forum/post/16924191

BTW, I found an interesting thread here which says the Sony uses a standard HDD, which can be replaced / upgraded.

The operative word here is "replaced", forget about "upgraded"- as in virtually every other Japanese-brand recorder, the Sony x25 motherboard is hardware-locked to only recognize the hard drive capacity it was shipped with. By entering the Sony service mode, you can replace a corrupt or broken HDD with a new one, but you cannot effectively upgrade the capacity. If the machine shipped with a 160GB HDD, and you replace it with a 500GB HDD, the new drive will format as 160GB. This does not bother me unduly, because I'm more concerned with being able to keep my machines running as-is: I'm more than happy to at least have DIY replacement as an option.

The person who wants to tinker with enormous drive capacity upgrades needs to look for models that permit this. Many of the no-name, very low-end DVD/HDD models allowed it, as do several Phillips models and all EIDE-based Pioneers (x40 series and earlier). Note however the Pioneers require costly service remotes and service DVDs to replace any parts. Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony and SATA-based Pioneers (x50 and later) are hardware-locked to only format replacement drives to the the original specified capacity: true size upgrades are not possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.